Looking for advice - 6.5G upper or .243 bolt gun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 7kings
    Unwashed
    • Jun 2021

Looking for advice - 6.5G upper or .243 bolt gun?

Hi. I'm hoping that you guys can help with some advice. I've recently begun taking an interest in pursuing medium range / precision shooting. My club has a 300-yard range and a neighboring club has a 600-yard range. I'd like to set up a rig to allow for precision shooting (within reason - I don't have a ton of cash to dump into it and I know it gets expensive quick).

I was fairly set on putting together a 6.5 Grendel upper when I realized that I had an old (well, 15 or more years old) Savage model 11 .243 Winchester in the back of my safe. I bought it when the kids were younger to teach them to shoot on something a little larger than 22LR and haven't thought much about it in years. It was a Bass Pro package that had a mossy oak camo stock and matching cheap Simmons 3-9x40 scope on it. It has a thin profile barrel and an accu-trigger.

So here's the question - am I better-off going the 6.5G upper route or instead replacing the stock (not a fan of the mossy oak camo) and putting a decent scope on the Savage? I'm only interested in punching paper, but I'd like to do it with some accuracy.

I appreciate the input.
  • Lemonaid
    Warrior
    • Feb 2019

Is your precision shooting interest just an individual pursuit or entering into matches? A good scope could go on either rifle so I would get one for your savage and see what it can do. If you want to compete, go to a match and see what others are using. The Precision Rifle Blog is an excellent site, it has a category "What the pro's use." check that out. https://precisionrifleblog.com/categ...-the-pros-use/

Comment

• 7kings
      Unwashed
      • Jun 2021

Originally posted by Lemonaid View Post
      Is your precision shooting interest just an individual pursuit or entering into matches? A good scope could go on either rifle so I would get one for your savage and see what it can do. If you want to compete, go to a match and see what others are using. The Precision Rifle Blog is an excellent site, it has a category "What the pro's use." check that out. https://precisionrifleblog.com/categ...-the-pros-use/
      As far as my goals for precision shooting, initially I'm really interested in it as an individual pursuit. Of course, that's not to say that I wouldn't eventually be interested in matches, but that's not what's driving me right now. I know the .243 is a great cartridge for long-range and precision shooting in general, and has a long history behind it, so I feel good about the caliber.

Thanks for the advice.

Brian

Comment

• biodsl
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2011

Brian...I'd be inclined to start with what you have. It might be fun to maximize your performance with what you have right now.
        Do you reload? You could start by trying to develop an accurate load for 300 yards. You don't even need high BC bullets at that distance. I suspect you could shoot some small groups with the right bullet in your current rifle.
        You can always spend more money later
        Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Klem
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

Brian,

For paper punching, if it is results you are after I would stick with the 243 in the bolt gun. If it is comfort and semi auto fun then go the Grendel in an AR.

Look at your barrel, scope and trigger either way.

Comment

• Rosecrans1
            Warrior
            • Feb 2019

Hi Brian,

Without investing much in the Savage 243, just see how it shoots with the mossy oak stock on it. See if that barrel free-floats first while in the stock. (dollar bill should slide up to the forward lug at the chamber without impeding).
            I have a SA 110 and a 16 savage in 7mm08 for hunting. Both barrels are thin-profiles and are very very accurate UNTIL the third shot then they start to gap quite a bit.
            300 and 600 yard shooting of a 6.5 Grendel AR or bolt rifle is a breeze with the right barrel, trigger and optics. If the Savage is all over the place on 5 shot groups, you may want to look at a Grendel upper or look at a replacement barrel for the Savage with a heavier profile. (but if it has no accu-trigger, that would need upgraded also along with the stock most likely).

Comment

• LR1955
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by 7kings View Post
              As far as my goals for precision shooting, initially I'm really interested in it as an individual pursuit. Of course, that's not to say that I wouldn't eventually be interested in matches, but that's not what's driving me right now. I know the .243 is a great cartridge for long-range and precision shooting in general, and has a long history behind it, so I feel good about the caliber.

Thanks for the advice.

Brian
              This is a rare case where I would recommend a Grendel as long as it is quality. I seriously doubt your Savage hunting rifle will perform well and the thing about 243's is an incredibly poor barrel life. You are looking at fifteen hundred rounds to a new barrel where the Grendel will go seven or ten thousand rounds.

The Grendel is a sure looser against more capable cartridges being shot from match rifles but at 300 yards it will be fine as long as you don't have a lot of wind blowing. At 600 its low velocity causes big problems in winds compared to more capable cartridges.

That said and given only a choice between a quality 6.5 Grendel and a hunting grade .243, a quality Grendel will be a better choice for competitive purposes and marksmanship training in general.

LR55

Comment

• 7kings
                Unwashed
                • Jun 2021

Originally posted by biodsl View Post
                Brian...I'd be inclined to start with what you have. It might be fun to maximize your performance with what you have right now.
                Do you reload? You could start by trying to develop an accurate load for 300 yards. You don't even need high BC bullets at that distance. I suspect you could shoot some small groups with the right bullet in your current rifle.
                You can always spend more money later
                Thanks biodsl. I don't currently reload rifle, but I've been reloading my handgun calibers for a long time on a Dillon 550b. Whichever I go with, I plan on reloading that caliber as well (as soon as anyone can find primers anywhere again, that is).

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                Brian,

For paper punching, if it is results you are after I would stick with the 243 in the bolt gun. If it is comfort and semi auto fun then go the Grendel in an AR.

Look at your barrel, scope and trigger either way.
                Thanks Klem - the Savage has the AccuTrigger on it, so I think I'm okay on that front.

Originally posted by Rosecrans1 View Post
                Hi Brian,

Without investing much in the Savage 243, just see how it shoots with the mossy oak stock on it. See if that barrel free-floats first while in the stock. (dollar bill should slide up to the forward lug at the chamber without impeding).
                I have a SA 110 and a 16 savage in 7mm08 for hunting. Both barrels are thin-profiles and are very very accurate UNTIL the third shot then they start to gap quite a bit.
                300 and 600 yard shooting of a 6.5 Grendel AR or bolt rifle is a breeze with the right barrel, trigger and optics. If the Savage is all over the place on 5 shot groups, you may want to look at a Grendel upper or look at a replacement barrel for the Savage with a heavier profile. (but if it has no accu-trigger, that would need upgraded also along with the stock most likely).
                Thanks Rosecrans1. The barrel does free-float on the factory stock (it's just so damned ugly ). I do have the AccuTrigger, which I've always liked.

I'm starting to think that I'll give the Savage a run for a while and see how I like it. Like Lemonaid pointed out above, I'll need decent glass for either one, so I'll probably start with that. If I decide to go the 6.5G route after playing with the Savage for a while, I can always transplant the scope over to the new upper and I haven't lost anything.

I appreciate all the feedback.

Brian

Comment

• VASCAR2
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Comment

• 7kings
                    Unwashed
                    • Jun 2021

That's funny - I had been toying with the idea of the 6mm ARC after reading a lot of comparison articles between it and the 6.5G. My only real concern is how young it is and whether it will gain a solid foothold (and it's not a big concern, especially since it was developed by Hornady, so it has a level of built-in industry support). In the ranges I'm talking about (even the 600 yard range), I think any of them (.243 Win, 6.5G, 6mm ARC) will be more than capable and much more accurate than I am.

That being said, I'd be lying if I said that I haven't gotten a bit bored with the .223 and I'm looking for some variety. The prospect of adding another upper to the safe in a different caliber is attractive, but then again, so is spending some time on a bolt gun. I'm also self-aware enough to know that the "cool factor" of a 6.5G or 6mm ARC plays a part in it.

I don't do any hunting and don't know that I'll be doing any in the near future, so this is primarily for punching paper and seeing how tight I can get my groups at distance.

Thanks for the input - this is all great information.

Brian

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2015

Honestly the 243 you own now will be the cheapest route to go but it will never give you Precision out to 600 yards without handloads, a better stock and then it's not going to be very good at 600 yards due too a barrel with to fast of a twist too use the better long distance bullets needed to beat the wind.

Since your wanting it for your own training and enjoyment shooting to 600 yards. I say go grendel but understand dont go rack grade on the barrel. Have your barrel made custom, go with a 24 inch barrel to get the most speed you can get with factory ammo.

In fact my best advice is to call Mark at Precision firearms and tell him what your wanting to do and what he suggest from his products to get that best fits your budget and gives you the accuracy/ precision your hoping to have.

I think Mark still gives his new member first order discount.

Comment

• pavementends
                        Unwashed
                        • Dec 2017

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
                        Honestly the 243 you own now will be the cheapest route to go but it will never give you Precision out to 600 yards without handloads, a better stock and then it's not going to be very good at 600 yards due too a barrel with to fast of a twist too use the better long distance bullets needed to beat the wind.

Since your wanting it for your own training and enjoyment shooting to 600 yards. I say go grendel but understand dont go rack grade on the barrel. Have your barrel made custom, go with a 24 inch barrel to get the most speed you can get with factory ammo.

In fact my best advice is to call Mark at Precision firearms and tell him what your wanting to do and what he suggest from his products to get that best fits your budget and gives you the accuracy/ precision your hoping to have.

A5blaster, Are you sure about the barrel twist being too fast for long bullets? I believe you have that backwards.

Comment

• Mesa1978
                          Warrior
                          • May 2015

Savage.

You can change the barrel out on the 11 with the nut system, if the current barrel isn't satisfactory, as long as the barrel channel can accommodate the new barrel, or be made to fit, for less than a new precision Grendel, to see if you like the game.

Comment

• 7kings
                            Unwashed
                            • Jun 2021

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post

Most of my shooting is honestly going to be 300 yards, since that's what my club has. I'll definitely want to get up to the 600 yard range periodically, but mostly I'll be at my own club. I will be handloading as soon as I can get rifle components again (unless you can figure out how I can use SPP or LPP for rifle loads ), but for now I was planning on trying a selection of factory ammo just to see what the gun likes (whichever direction I take).

Originally posted by Mesa1978 View Post
                            Savage.

You can change the barrel out on the 11 with the nut system, if the current barrel isn't satisfactory, as long as the barrel channel can accommodate the new barrel, or be made to fit, for less than a new precision Grendel, to see if you like the game.
                            Good thinking.

I think probably the way I'm going to proceed first is to get some decent glass on the Savage and see if the precision shooting bug bites me. I'm thinking it likely will, since I have natural tendencies to really enjoy the painstaking details of whatever I'm doing. Although I don't like to admit it in mixed company , I really enjoy the precision and mechanics of reloading and count it as one of the highlights of the shooting hobby.

Besides, there's nothing preventing me from getting a 6.5G upper as well, right?

Comment

• Mesa1978
                              Warrior
                              • May 2015

As an aside, i purchased a Savage 110 Precision and cheap Vortex Diamondback Tactical for the price of a premium Grendel AR upper. The stock Savage bolt shoots tighter groups, but the Savage isn't too popular in PRS because of feeding challenges of the 110 action, some actions are better than others. I beveled the ejector and have reliability now.

Comment

Working...
                              X