• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BVickery1974
    Warrior
    • Jun 2021

Not sure to worry or not about Extractor

Ok, as I posted earlier, brought my AR out to the range. High has worn off, but as I got reloading stuff coming in, I went and checked the brass. Saw issues on the base. Not sure if issue, cuz everything is all new, not sure.

02187dd220b1fda772cc1b140d2fd8f0.jpg ecb7bfb3c59ecec0a8547932b0f46018.jpg
  • myrifle
    Warrior
    • Nov 2015

A lil overgassed.

You can fix it by going too a heavier buffer or by putting on a adjustable gas block, low mass bcg and use the same weight buffer/spring.

I run adjustable gas and lowmass bcg and jp scs on everything, works really well for me.

Comment

• BVickery1974
      Warrior
      • Jun 2021

Originally posted by myrifle View Post
      A lil overgassed.

You can fix it by going too a heavier buffer or by putting on a adjustable gas block, low mass bcg and use the same weight buffer/spring.

I run adjustable gas and lowmass bcg and jp scs on everything, works really well for me.
      Ok. I actually have an adjustable gas block in it (Sentry 7)

Have the A5 buffer system with an A5-h1 buffer in there now (4.56oz) and an A5-h4 (6.83oz).
      Last edited by BVickery1974; 09-26-2021, 09:39 PM.

Comment

• myrifle
        Warrior
        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by BVickery1974 View Post
        Ok. I actually have an adjustable gas block in it (Sentry 7)

Have the A5 buffer system with an A5-h1 buffer in there now (4.56oz) and an A5-h4 (6.83oz).
        What I have found that works in every grendel I have built up is set the gas with wolf fmj ammo. It's the weakest ammo you can get.

Once the gas is set for proper lock back at min gas, handloads that typically show those false signs, start coming out looking beautiful and still cycle the action properly and lock back on empty mag like it should.

The gun I set up yesterday I did just that, took 5 rounds of wolf to get the gas set to min and then ran my trusty 120 gold dot load of 28 5 grains of arcomp,cci450 at 2.300 coal length.

Gun ran beautiful and printed a fast cadence 4 shot group of 1/2 inch.

I know it's a bit of money but I highly recommend the JP silent capture spring, the thing just makes a gun run so buttery smooth.

Comment

• Klem
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

Vick,

What length barrel do you have?

Looking at the base I can only see marks from the ejector. If all rounds are being reliably ejected then I wouldn't worry about the extractor. What is the position of ejected cases on the ground - 4 O'Clock? Are the spent cases dented at all?

You have a Sentry 7 - how many clicks open have you set it?

I would hold off on spending money on springs, buffers and carriers for the time being - there may be nothing wrong. In your shoes I would stick with the ammo you are using and confirm the right gas by loading one-round mags and opening the gas up one click at a time until it locks back on last round, then go one more click and stop. Start with at least three clicks open so it doesn't stick in battery.

Comment

• Happy2Shoot
            Warrior
            • Nov 2018

How sharp are the edges of your ejector?

941925566_ARejectorissues.jpg.1d5cb3a68c00d2d83ff7b2a0180e5950.jpg

I think the one on the right is overkill, but you get the idea. Just an internet picture, not mine.

Comment

• BVickery1974
              Warrior
              • Jun 2021

Originally posted by Klem View Post
              Vick,

Looking at the base I can only see marks from the ejector. If all rounds are being reliably ejected then I wouldn't worry about the extractor. What is the position of ejected cases on the ground - 4 O'Clock? Are the spent cases dented at all?

I would hold off on spending money on springs, buffers and carriers for the time being - there may be nothing wrong. In your shoes I would stick with the ammo you are using and confirm the right gas by loading one-round mags and opening the gas up one click at a time until it locks back on last round, then go one more click and stop. Start with at least three clicks open so it doesn't stick in battery.
              All rounds reliably ejected, and from memory about the 3 o'clock position. Will be heading out to range again at some point for sighting in, will redo the setting of the GB and write down better information.

As far as setting, I believe i put it at 8. Again, will redo next time at range and I will be bringing a book.

Comment

• BVickery1974
                Warrior
                • Jun 2021

Originally posted by Happy2Shoot View Post
                How sharp are the edges of your ejector?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18229[/ATTACH]

I think the one on the right is overkill, but you get the idea. Just an internet picture, not mine.
                Looks like i got the round one

ef61888b3071a82de77d363b59d88218.jpg

Comment

• BVickery1974
                  Warrior
                  • Jun 2021

Vick,

Here are some pics of the case.

b7274b368eba7759c1021bd61471400b.jpg 219c5b3f937e7a6523b6cb2b07154d23.jpg e7d80621672d28d812ad34f951a56766.jpg 62d412e8bd2b5f1c0b48045e3fe28018.jpg

Comment

• Klem
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

I don't see too much wrong with the side pictures of those cases. The longitudinal scratch lines are either from the barrel extension lugs or new magazine lips. The line around the diameter down where the web joins the hollow part of the case could be how your dies squeeze cases, or it could be that the case is coming back out of the chamber while still pressurized. Notch 8 on the Sentry seems high but you do have a few different recoil parts and it could also be where the port is.

A 3 0"Clock ejection pattern suggests the pressure is high but not severely.

The A5 buffer you are using is a little longer than MILSPEC. I take it you are using the slightly longer VLTOR buffer tube that goes with it? The A5 assumes there is a problem of bolt bounce to start with, at least that's how they market it. Upgrading from a $16 spring to something 10 times the cost assumes a problem justifying the cost. With an AGB there is far less need to mess with the MILSPEC recoil system it supplies gas to.

Ejector wipes suggests early unlocking while the case is still under pressure. That is why I asked for the barrel length.

Comment

• BVickery1974
                      Warrior
                      • Jun 2021

16" barrel, and have the correct buffer tube too.

And its the h1 and h3 I already have. When I goto the range I will swap to the h2.
                      Last edited by BVickery1974; 09-27-2021, 09:57 AM.

Comment

• mdram
                        Warrior
                        • Sep 2016

didnt we discuss this in the discord yesterday?
                        if so, your running hot, as you said you were getting 2550fps from a 16" barrel with 120 gold dots
                        just some targets for printing
                        https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• Klem
                          Chieftain
                          • Aug 2013

Vic,

It could be a number of things including, too much headspace, hot rounds, the ejector not being able to fully compress flush with the bolt-face, early unlocking, or soft brass. Dialing the gas down and using a heavy buffer might help. So will a quick check to make sure the ejector can compress fully.

Comment

• BVickery1974
                            Warrior
                            • Jun 2021

Originally posted by mdram View Post
                            didnt we discuss this in the discord yesterday?
                            if so, your running hot, as you said you were getting 2550fps from a 16" barrel with 120 gold dots
                            Yes, but I also stated that was on the box, NOT what I chrono'd as I dont have one yet. You made the assumption that is what I chronod it for, all I stated was what was on the box and that I contacted Druid Hill for more info, which has been recommended by a few on this forum.

As many have said, and I pointed out where brass is being flung, i could be something as simple as not having gas setting correctly. I am not going to use the speers until I hear back about the barrel.

If I was as overpressured as you stated, I do believe there would be issues with the primers bulging or something. But all there is on the base.
                            Last edited by BVickery1974; 09-27-2021, 01:14 PM.

Comment

• BVickery1974
                              Warrior
                              • Jun 2021

Vic,

It could be a number of things including, too much headspace, hot rounds, the ejector not being able to fully compress flush with the bolt-face, early unlocking, or soft brass. Dialing the gas down and using a heavy buffer might help. So will a quick check to make sure the ejector can compress fully.
                              Thanks Klem. Will check when I get home.

And I do think the longitudinal scratch is from the magazine, as it is brand new and rounds sit in there very tightly.
                              Last edited by BVickery1974; 09-27-2021, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X