Bolt action?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your choice of the Grendel for light-weight light-recoiling rifle for your kids is excellent.

Too many of us are high velocity freaks who salivate at the prospect at the possibilty of shaving an inch or two of the drop at five hundred yards.

Zero the Grendel at 200 yards and they'll be able to splatter soda cans to past 250 yards. That makes them deadly for deer and so on out to close to 300 yards with minimal hold-over.

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
      Warrior
      • Apr 2013

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
      A bolt gun isn't subject to the 50,000 psi pressure limitations of the AR15/Grendel, so you can get significantly higher velocities with one and still be safe, since the Grendel is a high-pressure case with well-designed brass and a small rifle primer. . . . The difference is that a 22" Grendel bolt gun can push a 139gr Scenar to 2700fps . . .
      All of which begs the question: What would the 6.5 Grendel be today, if it was designed around a beefed-up AR-15 Bolt-Barrel Extension, at the beginning?

Comment

What if the Grendel had been invented in 1940 and used in the M-1 Carbine? The what-ifs are endless.

Comment

• BjornF16
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2011

I'm thinking this thread belongs in the Bolt gun section...
          LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
          Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

I handled one of the Mossberg MVP's yesterday at a local store, and it was perfectly balanced with a 20" barrel I think. Very nice-feeling little rifle.

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
              Warrior
              • Oct 2012

I have a buddy that has one and won't stfu about it. He goes on and on that it shoots pretty good too. : )

Comment

Originally posted by SHORT-N-SASSY View Post
                All of which begs the question: What would the 6.5 Grendel be today, if it was designed around a beefed-up AR-15 Bolt-Barrel Extension, at the beginning?
                From what I understand, the receiver might also need some rework to keep a balanced design.

We would need to hear from one or more rifle designers, however, to get a definitive answer about a +P+ pressure version of the Grendel.

Having acknowledged the challenges, we can also speculate the Grendel would be somewhat flatter shooting.

The resulting question is "Would there be enough difference to make a difference in what is a fine medium game cartridge?"

The best way to find out is to encourage folks to develop safe loads that nonetheless push the pressure envelope and see what velocities are seen. Then we can better answer your query.
                Last edited by Guest; 08-09-2013, 03:05 AM. Reason: Clarify

Comment

i built a 6.5 Grendel on a Remington model 7 action, PTG bolt with Sako extractors, McMillan ultralight edge hunter stock, and Pacnor barrel. It shot and handled superbly. It is now rebarreled to a 6.5 Creedmoor at the choice of my son. I still have the PTG bolt if you are interested in building a Model 7. I personally think it is much better than a model 700.
                  Bob

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
                    Warrior
                    • Apr 2013

JASmith, thanks for the helpful input.

I some months ago came across a Reply by LRRPF52, on another forum, that got my attention, "The AR10 bolt, on the other hand, has lots of mass to it, and takes a punishing while liking it. It is massive and substantial."

Indeed, it is. And, I was reminded to a challenging, rewarding experience, back in 2001. I had an American Spirit Arms .308 carbine on hand for evaluation in the upcoming AR-10'er Collector's Edition, 2001. Winchester had just unveiled their .300 Winchester Short Magnum (WSM) cartridge, designed for bolt-action rifles. A long-time AR-10 Enthusiast, when I discovered that the new cartridge overall length would just fit within the AR-10 magazine, the challenge was on: Could a cartridge, with a .062" larger case rim diameter, a .085" larger head diameter and 13,000 PSI greater operating pressure, than the "host" cartridge, find a happy home?

After first conferring with Dan Lilja, on the important matter of increased Bolt Thrust, I was off and running. I designed a "Sidewinder" gas tube to handle the increased pressure, worked with Carl Emmitte, Accuracy Systems, on opening-up the Bolt face, Extractor work and chamber work on a new 24" barrel. Long story, short: I'm happy to report that the answer is a resounding Yes! (as reported in the February, 2002 Small Arms Review) --- and demonstrated in the accompanying photo capturing "the fat lady" making a graceful exit. As a plus, factory ammunition averaged just over 100 fps more, than Winchester advertised for their bolt-action rifle!

Based on that experience, it's not surprising that I see Remington's R-15 RAR AR-10-size Bolt-Barrel Extension, in a short, light AR-15 platform, as very promising, to say the least. In short: Given the strength and design of the 6.5 Grendel case, I expect Bolt Gun velocity, from such "Big Bolt" AR-15's.

Last edited by SHORT-N-SASSY; 11-30-2013, 11:22 PM. Reason: Edited to add photo

Comment

• BjornF16
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                      I handled one of the Mossberg MVP's yesterday at a local store, and it was perfectly balanced with a 20" barrel I think. Very nice-feeling little rifle.
                      How did it compare to my Savage bolt Grendel?
                      LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
                      Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

Originally posted by BjornF16 View Post
                        How did it compare to my Savage bolt Grendel?
                        It uses a micro action, so it feels lighter, even though it had a pretty medium-heavy 20" barrel on it. Your Savage balances very well as configured with a short action. You can definitely feel the action weight on a short action vs. a micro action.

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
                          Warrior
                          • Oct 2012

The accustock is a keeper? Or would you go with Choate or something?

Comment

Working...
                          X