• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SCJim
    Warrior
    • Apr 2019

Grendel at 850 Yards - NRA TActical rifle prone practice target

Our club just started doing NRA AR Tactical prone competition. Never have shot my Grendel beyond 3oo yards until today. I was pretty surprised at how well it shot.

Sanders Armory upper, Rock River lower, Sig BDX scope, no name bipod and a sand filled sock for a rear bag

26.6 grains H322, 123 Nosler CC, Fed AR Match primers, Starline once fired brass

velocity not great but the accuracy is there. I had a extra round in magazine so this was 21 shots instead the regulation 20 so I marked the last shot as a sighter850 yards.jpg
  • m796rider
    Warrior
    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by SCJim View Post
    Our club just started doing NRA AR Tactical prone competition. Never have shot my Grendel beyond 3oo yards until today. I was pretty surprised at how well it shot.

Sanders Armory upper, Rock River lower, Sig BDX scope, no name bipod and a sand filled sock for a rear bag

26.6 grains H322, 123 Nosler CC, Fed AR Match primers, Starline once fired brass

velocity not great but the accuracy is there. I had a extra round in magazine so this was 21 shots instead the regulation 20 so I marked the last shot as a sighter[ATTACH=CONFIG]18519[/ATTACH]

Nice shooting!

Can you characterize your wind conditions?

Comment

• biodsl
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2011

Very good! I had some good initial luck with the Nosler CCs. I bought a couple hundred to try them out and should have bought many, many more.

Originally posted by m796rider View Post
      Nice shooting!

Can you characterize your wind conditions?
      And piggy-backing on this, what's the elevation of your range? What was the temperature
      Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• SCJim
        Warrior
        • Apr 2019

Wind was 6-10 mph full value from right to left, 70F and sunny. Shot #7 and #8were where I missed the wind call. I was holding on the right edge of the ten ring for most of the shots. There was a medium mirage, the 15X scope helped with that. I am used to up to 30X on my bolt guns but will dial them down in a heart beat to help with mirage. The range is on the south east coast, elevation about 20 feet above sea level
        Last edited by SCJim; 12-24-2021, 10:41 PM.

Comment

• biodsl
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2011

Originally posted by SCJim View Post
          Wind was 6-10 mph full value from right to left...70F and sunny...elevation about 20 feet above sea level
          That's even more impressive. No help from thin air!
          Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Rosecrans1
            Warrior
            • Feb 2019

Very nice shooting and a very nice rig you put together!!!

Comment

• Texas
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2016

Excellent! Good shooting. Thanks for the post!

Comment

• lazyengineer
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2019

That's some damned good shooting. I've taken my Grendel to 600 yards and it's a powerhouse. 850 yards is very much indeed stretching those legs, and getting a 196 at 850 yards like is a seriously solid score. Many a day I'll be happy with that score at just 600 yards! I did once try taking my Grendel to 1000 yards, but while the bullets were deliverying and impacting, they weren't fast enough to trigger the sensor's, on that target. 850 yards is probably about as far as you can go, and I'm glad to see 1180 fps was enough to reliably trigger to sensors on that ShotMarker. They can start to get finicky down that low. Very good standard deviation I see as well!

That's some damned fine shooting sir!

I am curious, I'm not familiar with an 850 yard course of fire. Most of the time I see Service Rifle delineated in increments of 100 yards, with Long Range being 800, 900, and 1000 yard as the more typical strings. I didn't know ShotMarker had an 850 yard NRA regulation target distance in its' library, or there were NRA regulation 850 yard black targets?
                Last edited by lazyengineer; 01-01-2022, 05:12 PM.
                4x P100

Comment

• SCJim
                  Warrior
                  • Apr 2019

Originally posted by lazyengineer View Post

I am curious, I'm not familiar with an 850 yard course of fire. Most of the time I see Service Rifle delineated in increments of 100 yards, with Long Range being 800, 900, and 1000 yard as the more typical strings. I didn't know ShotMarker had an 850 yard NRA regulation target distance in its' library, or there were NRA regulation 850 yard black targets?
                  The FPS was bare minimum at 1180, 1130 for the SM is minimum.

Nope no NRA 850, and if you were to shoot it with a rangefinder it's only 835. it's just when our range was renovated the powers that be had the berm at 850 and the flip up targets installed at 835 because of a drainage pond. When we shoot competition we move the portable electronics to the other side of the drainage pond at 800. WHen I hang my SM I use the flip up at 835, I just call it 850 since it sounds a little less strange. No idea why the range was done that way, above my paygrade kind of thing. Since there is no regulation 800, 835,850, or 800 yard targets the 1000 yard targets are used for F class and NRA tactical prone as well as HP competition. That is why I tell newbies to F class that the 800 yard matches are the easiest because the target has a 10 inch ten ring whereas the 300 ten ring is a bit less than 3 inches and the 600 is exactly 6 inches. You can double that for the NRA HP targets which is what the prone uses. After shooting F class for a few years a 20 inch ten ring is like shooting at the side of a barn

Still I will have some serious competition if I move over to this class for the matches. We have some good riflemen at our club In F open matches I am a just a middle of the pack shooter. In the three years I have been competing the best I have done is one third place. In the December 800 yard match a buddy shot a 198, 194, and a 180 something with a .223 AR using 77 gn handloads in the tactical prone division. That was his first time shooting in that class also and the wind was kicking on his last target
                  Last edited by SCJim; 01-01-2022, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X