What do you guys think of these marks on the brass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bretandry
    Bloodstained
    • May 2021

What do you guys think of these marks on the brass?

New barrel three rounds test fire..all three show these marks and you can feel them. I am leaning to reem chatter as the possible cause. What say the masses?20220701_165407.jpg
  • kmon
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2015

Small rings below the neck/shoulder little rough chamber (needs polishing) in that part, like you say chatter. Small ding there perhaps from small bur in the chamber or striking sharp spot on chambering. Does the small cut/scratch show up on a chambered then ejected round or only fired rounds?

Comment

• Bretandry
      Bloodstained
      • May 2021

It's brand new I asked for the test brass to be Hornady and sent to me with the new upper i have not fired a round through it yet. I am no chamber expert so i was hoping to get some education and not be unreasonable when dealing with the builder. I am kinda leaning to the barrel should be replaced or repaired

Comment

• Former Cav
        Bloodstained
        • Aug 2019

I HAD a BCA barrel that had a cut mark (tool mark) in the chamber and it would occasionally cause a failure to extract. I got rid of it and replaced it with a Krieger barrel. Interesting that the groups did NOT improve much. I wrote BCA about it but they never replied. Guess you can't expect much for a cheap bottom tier builder. Course I was about 1 year after purchase due to the HOT weather in Phoenix.

Comment

• ported45
          Warrior
          • Feb 2018

Originally posted by Former Cav View Post
          I HAD a BCA barrel that had a cut mark (tool mark) in the chamber and it would occasionally cause a failure to extract. I got rid of it and replaced it with a Krieger barrel. Interesting that the groups did NOT improve much. I wrote BCA about it but they never replied. Guess you can't expect much for a cheap bottom tier builder. Course I was about 1 year after purchase due to the HOT weather in Phoenix.
          As far as Customer Service, I did not have any trouble with BCA. What I had trouble with was getting a throat cut to correct +/- SAAMI specs on 3 back to back uppers. When the 4th upper arrived that was in spec, then it would not do better than a 5" group at 100 yards with handloads and Hornady Black. Customer Service sent me another return label and refunded my purchase price. But I was out a lot of time, fuel, a box of Hornady Black, and some reloaded ammo. Ended up with a Hardened Arms upper for almost the same price that would produce groups that made just a ragged hole at 100 yards. I should have kept the HA upper, but got rid of it and bought a Ruger Predator bolt gun in Grendel instead. I love the round, but I'm just more of a bolt gunner than semi-auto; even in a .22 lr.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Jimla
              Warrior
              • Dec 2018

Originally posted by ported45 View Post
              As far as Customer Service, I did not have any trouble with BCA. What I had trouble with was getting a throat cut to correct +/- SAAMI specs on 3 back to back uppers. When the 4th upper arrived that was in spec, then it would not do better than a 5" group at 100 yards with handloads and Hornady Black. Customer Service sent me another return label and refunded my purchase price. But I was out a lot of time, fuel, a box of Hornady Black, and some reloaded ammo. Ended up with a Hardened Arms upper for almost the same price that would produce groups that made just a ragged hole at 100 yards. I should have kept the HA upper, but got rid of it and bought a Ruger Predator bolt gun in Grendel instead. I love the round, but I'm just more of a bolt gunner than semi-auto; even in a .22 lr.
              I had the exact same problem, I had to return 3. Maybe they gave us the same uppers.
              Last edited by Jimla; 08-22-2022, 06:57 PM.

Comment

• CJW
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2019

Comment

• ported45
                  Warrior
                  • Feb 2018

Originally posted by Jimla View Post
                  I had the exact same problem, I had to return 3. Maybe they gave us the same uppers.
                  Maybe sent me yours and sent you mine!!

I told them exactly what the trouble was with the throat length on them and to please check to make sure it was within tolerance before sending the replacement, but alas ...

Comment

• Jimla
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2018

Originally posted by ported45 View Post
                    Maybe sent me yours and sent you mine!!

I told them exactly what the trouble was with the throat length on them and to please check to make sure it was within tolerance before sending the replacement, but alas ...
                    I told them the same thing. On the returns it took 1-2 months of waiting, each replacement was worse than the earlier one.

Upper BCA UA6.5MHB1818(MF)-(15)MLOK3 Lower Rock River Arms LAR-15 with RRA TWO STAGE TRIGGER (great trigger can average about .5" groups with RRA .223 WYLDE Match Barrel) Ammo: Factory Hornady Black 123gr ELD Match Shot prone from lead sled High pressure signs with Hornady Black 123gr ELD-M factory ammo. All four

Comment

Working...
                    X