• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bretandry
    Bloodstained
    • May 2021

Liberty barrel question

I see older posts about Satern/Liberty barrels with throat/chamber issues and also saying that they got out of the Grendel barrel making game. Can anyone give current info on this situation? I was just sold one (possibly a mistake on my part it seems) Was the chamber/throat issue rectified? Are they a current manufacture of these barrels again? I see some guys like the barrels some guys don't for me my needs are a good shooting barrel that performs as advertised I know you get what you pay for so my expectations are not for a PF level result but I would expect faxon or criterion level quality and performance. Just kind of looking for the latest info available and any opinions or guidance is appreciated.
  • myrifle
    Warrior
    • Nov 2015

Honestly I put liberty barrels in the same level as BCA.

Pure garbage.

Comment

• Bretandry
      Bloodstained
      • May 2021

Well that's not encouraging LOL

Comment

• 37L1
        Warrior
        • Jan 2015

Did you find out about Liberty before or after you bought yours?

Nevertheless, just go shoot it and find out for yourself.

Comment

• Bretandry
          Bloodstained
          • May 2021

Obviously after, the reviews on the upper builder was very good at the price point I was trying to stay in. It seems my two top choices both use them , I never saw the old thread till this morning so now I am just trying to get through an issue on my new upper when I can get through to the builder and am just gathering info as best I can to resolve it with him and learn about the barrel maker as best I can that's all.
          Last edited by Bretandry; 07-02-2022, 02:36 PM.

Comment

• Mesa1978
            Warrior
            • May 2015

I have a 24" AR Stoner stainless version of the Liberty 5r. It is an old barrel, probably from around 2013, and does not have the short chamber. It's an MOA barrel, which met expectations for the cost and role I paid and employ it in. I would say it's equivalent to my AA Shaw barrel in accuracy. I do not have any info on their current products. I was on a wait list for a Satern years ago, they called when my name came up and I took my name off the list as I had moved on from their products.

Comment

• 37L1
              Warrior
              • Jan 2015

Let's see if I'm following you here. You bought an upper from a builder who used the Liberty barrel as one of the components. I saw your other thread about the marks on the test fired brass. So that would indicate that the rifle had been fired by the builder. Did he mention anything about a short chamber being an issue when the test rounds were fired? I'm guessing not. Have you asked him since you became aware of this past issue?

As he used components that included a barrel that was already chambered by Liberty, does he have the equipment/ability to fix the apparently rough chamber or will he have to send the barrel back to Satern/Liberty to get it taken care of?

Maybe he has another barrel in stock to replace for you? I'm wondering if he noticed the marks on the test fired brass before sending the build on to you?

So many questions that I don't expect you to answer, it's just me thinking how did this make it to where it is now?

Just so you know, I was one of the early Liberty/Satern/Stoner guys that got bit by Satern and their crappy customer service. won't ever buy a product made by those folks ever again.

Good luck to you and I hope that you get any issues that you have with your build taken care of to your satisfaction.

Happy trails. . .

Comment

• Bretandry
                Bloodstained
                • May 2021

37L1
                Yes on test fire by builder I asked specifically for him to fire new Hornady and send me the test rounds. Did he see the markings? I would hope that slipped past him or he would not have sent it. He is a reputable builder but i doubt he is doing other than drop in building. I got it on Fri noticed the brass and wasn't able to get a response yet so I am counting on his reputation being as good as it sounds and yes a new barrel would be in order. My bad was not seeing the older poor reviews on the tight throat and other things that would have steered me off. I would guess a proper barrel should most likely be fine for the money I spent the rest of the upper is nice well built and good fit and finish. I included in my email to him that it would be an option for me to either change out to a comparable barrel maker at the price point like a Faxon or Wilson but we shall see where that goes. It is hard when you try to research with the massive amounts of good bad and just crapslinging on the internet so well sometimes you win sometimes not. I am just trying to get other input besides just me so i treat him fairly and I get fair product for my money that's all.

Comment

• myrifle
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Bretandry View Post
                  37L1
                  Yes on test fire by builder I asked specifically for him to fire new Hornady and send me the test rounds. Did he see the markings? I would hope that slipped past him or he would not have sent it. He is a reputable builder but i doubt he is doing other than drop in building. I got it on Fri noticed the brass and wasn't able to get a response yet so I am counting on his reputation being as good as it sounds and yes a new barrel would be in order. My bad was not seeing the older poor reviews on the tight throat and other things that would have steered me off. I would guess a proper barrel should most likely be fine for the money I spent the rest of the upper is nice well built and good fit and finish. I included in my email to him that it would be an option for me to either change out to a comparable barrel maker at the price point like a Faxon or Wilson but we shall see where that goes. It is hard when you try to research with the massive amounts of good bad and just crapslinging on the internet so well sometimes you win sometimes not. I am just trying to get other input besides just me so i treat him fairly and I get fair product for my money that's all.
                  This is going to come off rude so I apologize now.

Spit the dang name out already. We dont do hide the manufacturer here. If your having a issue we need to know WHO you paid money to for the product.

Someone else here may have done buisness with them before and have more info.

Are someone here maybe looking for a shop too get a gun/upper built and would like to know and follow along so they can make a decision to use/not use the shop.

Sorry just dont like secret's. Tell us who you did buisness with.

Comment

• Bretandry
                    Bloodstained
                    • May 2021

MyRifle
                    I get ya but i owe the man to speak to him first before possibly putting a ding on his company name. I mean after all he didn't cut the chamber he just installed the barrel.

Comment

• Mesa1978
                      Warrior
                      • May 2015

Trust is awesome, until money is involved.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Comment

• Bonas
                          Warrior
                          • Mar 2022

I have a 12.5" Liberty. It's a fine value. Like most barrels at that price point, it needed some shooting to settle in. Mine will shoot Black ELDM five shot groups under an inch. They're overgassed, but I use adjustable blocks on everything so that doesn't bother me.
                          Last edited by Bonas; 07-03-2022, 03:33 AM.

Comment

• Bretandry
                            Bloodstained
                            • May 2021

VASCAR2
                            Ok short story long I got a new upper with the test brass. Brass shows radial marks to indicate reem chatter (pic) I also spec'ed the cases against SAAMI for fire form to chamber to get the number on the chamber there (pic) SAAMI calls for .4328 in that section of the case for chamber I am spec on brass .4275- .4280 that's a couple thou tight under SAAMI but consistent with brass fired from a different Grendel. I have to wait till Tue to get ahold of the builder due to the 4th. I am not a dumb guy but also not a chamber expert So I am just reaching out to more informed guys...(that's you) to make sure I give him the right info and i also get a proper barrel for my money. IMO the radial lines require barrel replacement.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Bretandry; 07-03-2022, 01:36 PM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Comment

Working...
                              X