• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scout_vet
    Unwashed
    • Jun 2016

Ammo/Mag Issue

I am building a 6.5 Grendel AR. I bought some 24 round e-lander mags as searches in this forum showed they were among the better choices. I have also purchased some wolf steel cased ammo. I have not spent the money (yet) to get any brass cased but I will before hunting season. I wanted to break in the springs on the mags so I filled them up and let them sit for a week or so. When I sat down to unload them it was extremely difficult to remove the rounds. It did not get easier as I removed rounds from the mag. This is not my first AR and I served in the army, so I know the feeling of the rounds sliding out of a mag both steel mags (like I have) or polymer mags. It was so tough I am worried that when I go to shoot my rifle the bolt will not have enough energy to pull a round out of the mag. Is the tightness a symptom of the steel rubbing against itself or something else?
  • outbreaker
    Warrior
    • Feb 2018

Originally posted by scout_vet View Post
    I am building a 6.5 Grendel AR. I bought some 24 round e-lander mags as searches in this forum showed they were among the better choices. I have also purchased some wolf steel cased ammo. I have not spent the money (yet) to get any brass cased but I will before hunting season. I wanted to break in the springs on the mags so I filled them up and let them sit for a week or so. When I sat down to unload them it was extremely difficult to remove the rounds. It did not get easier as I removed rounds from the mag. This is not my first AR and I served in the army, so I know the feeling of the rounds sliding out of a mag both steel mags (like I have) or polymer mags. It was so tough I am worried that when I go to shoot my rifle the bolt will not have enough energy to pull a round out of the mag. Is the tightness a symptom of the steel rubbing against itself or something else?

Comment

• myrifle
      Warrior
      • Nov 2015

OP best thing you can do is trash can those elander mags and pick up some cpd/duramags.

For the life of me I cant understand how folks can say elander grendel mags are good mags. Every single on of them I have tried has been pure garbage until I cut the mag springs down and let the mag bodys go for a 24 hour spin in my brass tumbler plus had a bunch if them I had too go in and grind out huge welds so the follower would not get hung up.

I know it sucks to spend more money but trust me ditch the elander mags and get some cpd/duramags.

Comment

• tlen
        Bloodstained
        • Sep 2019

17 round Alexander Arms E-Lander Mags work for me as they are shorter and allow shooting from a rest. Just try your 25 round mags at the range before you do anything.

Comment

• lazyengineer
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2019

New E-landers loaded to full may jam. From experience, you have to smooth the inside of the lips by just cycling rounds through the mags to wear them a bit more smooth. Then they will run well.

And yes, the tension is considerably higher than 5.56 mags getting them to feed out. I wouldn't advise some ultralight buffer spring. Again, as the rifle breaks in and has decreased drag with the BCG/reciever fit as it wears in, that too is only good.
          Last edited by lazyengineer; 07-12-2022, 06:20 AM.
          4x P100

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Last edited by VASCAR2; 07-12-2022, 03:04 PM.

Comment

• scout_vet
              Unwashed
              • Jun 2016

Originally posted by outbreaker View Post
              [/COLOR]
              But the force doesn't go down with fewer rounds in the mag.

Comment

• scout_vet
                Unwashed
                • Jun 2016

Overall, some good info from everyone. Thank you. It seems a combo of the feed lips and spring tension. Ill load them up again and let them sit more. I do not believe I have an ultra-light buffer spring. I just bought a simple rifle length buffer system. Guess time will tell. When I shoot them, I will load them down to 20 rounds. But I will store them at 24 rounds. I bought an adjustable gas system, so I did not purchase a heavy buffer.

Comment

• scout_vet
                  Unwashed
                  • Jun 2016

Also, while new mags might solve a lot of this, I live in WA state. Until the new supreme court ruling fully trickles down to mag capacity bans I'm stuck.

Comment

• grendelnubi
                    Warrior
                    • Apr 2017

If it were me and I thought my mags had excessive spring tension I would trim coils. If you take too many out you can add more spring tension back in with either a spacer at the bottom of the inside of mag or fine tune by bending the last coil to increase or decrease tension. I have removed as many as 2 coils and still had adequate tension.

Comment

• Bonas
                      Warrior
                      • Mar 2022

CPD aka C-Products Defense mags are far superior to E-Landers. E-Landers are unnecessarily hard to unload, and they'll stay that way, in my experience. Just buy some CPDs. You won't regret it.

Comment

• CJW
                        Chieftain
                        • Jun 2019

I have 8 E-Lander mags for my Grendel, not had the first problem with them.

Comment

• outbreaker
                          Warrior
                          • Feb 2018

Originally posted by scout_vet View Post
                          But the force doesn't go down with fewer rounds in the mag.
                          Yes, it does, the compression distance is shorter so the force goes down. You are thinking of the spring constant, but I only teach physics and am probably wrong.

Comment

• Growler
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2019

Spring force is only part of the issue. The real issue is friction. While that is a function of normal force, the force model is oversimplifed.

Are your Wolf rounds lacquer coated? Are there any sharp edges on your feed lips? If the answer to both is yes, they can sure bind up easily.

Either way, some fine grit sanding of those edges may be more effective than cutting coils.

Several users here have reported the need to make small adjustment to the feed lips. This just seems like a QC problem, but one that can be fixed. Look carefully at round case/feed lip contact. Do you see any points of binding or unusual scratches? Disassembling the mags and inspecting/ polishing them will probably fix your issues.

Good luck!

Comment

• VASCAR2
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Last edited by VASCAR2; 07-14-2022, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X