• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MISportsman
    Bloodstained
    • Jul 2020

6.5 grendel bcg compatible with 7.62x39

Everything I read is contradicting. Can I put a 7.62x39 barrel on my 6.5 grendel and by that and the magazine being the only other changes have it function properly and safely?
  • BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

:: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• MISportsman
      Bloodstained
      • Jul 2020

I'm assuming mine is more than likely a type 2. It is a bear creek complete upper I got on sale a year or 2 ago. Worst case all I should have to do is change the bolt on the bcg to a x39 bolt no right?

Comment

• MISportsman
        Bloodstained
        • Jul 2020

On the other hand, isn't the grendel and the x39 the same identical case just different neck size?

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Last edited by VASCAR2; 08-07-2022, 02:54 PM.

Comment

• Fess
            Warrior
            • Jun 2019

Originally posted by MISportsman View Post
            On the other hand, isn't the grendel and the x39 the same identical case just different neck size?
            It is a little more complicated than that. The 6.5 Grendel is based on the 6mm PPC case with the shoulder blown foreword. When compared to the 7.62x39, the rim and base diameters are the same, but the PPC and Grendel have less taper and the shoulder and neck are very different. It is possible to turn 7.62x39 brass into Grendel, but it requires fire-forming to blow out the shoulders and body.
            There is actually a reason that the developers of the 6.5 Grendel decided to use a deeper bolt face than the 5.56 NATO. The rim of the Grendel (and 6mm PPC, 6mm ARC and 7.62x39) is thicker than the 5.56 NATO. The bolt is a little deeper to adapt to the thicker rim and make the extractor stronger. Even with the deeper bolts, extractors are the weak link of the Grendel, so pick up an extra one, just in case.

Comment

Working...
            X