NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• DHD
      Bloodstained
      • May 2022

You know, I haven't even thought to weigh it. It's a lot lighter than the Satern Grendel which has a truck axle for a barrel with the regular Magpul PRS stock. They have the same upper, lower, handguard, guts, and scope though.

I shim all barrels to the Nordic Components uppers, put the horseshoe at the rear of the upper, and use Young Manufacturing NM BC's. I like the toys I make tight and they all run smooth and consistent. I built another in 223 just like the 6.5 Grendel and it shoots just as good. So far I'm liking Proof SS barrels. I not interested in one of their carbon wrapped barrels right now.

I considered getting a Craddock Precision Bartlein but figured I'd try a Proof. Bartlein is all I've bought for my bolt actions for a long time and know how good they are.

Comment

• DeNinny
        Warrior
        • Sep 2022

DHD I have the same exact barrel. I will tell you it's a great barrel, but I only have one grendel so I have nothing to compare it to. I'm also not interested in their CF options. And I'll say that it is a heavy barrel which I don't view as an issue.

I'm very interested in how your experience with it will play out. I'll also chime in with my own reloading experiences. Right now I'm loving 123gr SSTs with 27.5gr TAC or 30.7gr CFE223. Also 120gr ELD-Ms with 28.7 gr A2520 or 30.7 gr CFE223.

I really need some 8208, though.

Comment

• DHD
          Bloodstained
          • May 2022

I've had good luck with 8208 and 108 Scenar's. I've also had better luck with the 108 Scenar's and LeverRevolution though it's not a listed powder for that bullet in any publications. I had to play with the 123 Scenar data and go from there.

My particular barrel seemed like it needed some rounds fired through it to start to group really well. I had a Brux that did the same some years back (bolt action in 6.5 Creedmoor). Velocity has increased a small amount also.

Comment

• DeNinny
            Warrior
            • Sep 2022

My barrel needed some conditioning too. After roughly 50 rounds at most it started getting consistent.

Comment

• Zeneffect
              Chieftain
              • May 2020

If I want to shoot .1-.2 groups it's 120gr smk and 27.8gr 8208 at 2.28coal.

Where you find the smk? Been wanting more for over a year now.

Comment

• DHD
                Bloodstained
                • May 2022

I've been playing with the Grendel for a long time and have plenty of the 120's stashed.

Comment

Working...
                X