• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zeneffect
    Chieftain
    • May 2020

SRC bolt, S7 tool steel

The Sharps Xtreme Performance Bolt (XPB) in DLC (diamond Like Carbon), is our patented Relia-Bolt™ finished in DLC (Diamond Like Carbon) coating.Patented bolt technologyThe redesigned lugs of the Relia-Bolt™ virtually eliminate the most common MSR malfunction; the bolt to barrel extension jam. Have

Discuss.

Lifetime warranty makes me want to get spicy... lug design makes me want to stay away because I don't want to have to deal with the warranty every week.... but it's s7 so that's a new one to me.
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

So... are we saying that use this bolt, and you can go to higher load... 60,000 psi?
    Or do the barrel extension lugs now become the part to fail under that scenario, thus no real extra benefit?

I'm not schooled in properties of S7 steel vs carpenter 158 or 8310 or whatever, nor whether doing the DLC coating - while it increases hardness, does it also increase brittleness under bcg operating environment, or what else does it do, ie, no such thing as a free lunch.

How many times has this been tested to say, 10,000 cycles, under 52Ksi or better, to 60Ksi chamber pressures.

when they say s7 is best thing since sliced bread "when heat treated 'properly' ".
    What is this proprietary heat treatment and what else does it do to the material that we don't know about.

All questions, no answers... so idk if it's something to jump on or not.
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

And that "lifetime" warranty, is only against mfr defects. So first time you send it in, they will say "you used it wrong" or something like that. So "warranty" is kind of iffy if you ask me.
      As opposed to Vortex's lifetime warranty, no questions asked, you break, we fix.

Comment

• grayfox
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2017

This adjustable gas key thingy in their bcg might be more intersting...
        the adjustment screw is in the back of the gas key.

SAGRS AR-15 Xtreme Performance Bolt (XPB) Carrier Group in Nib-X (srcarms.com)

Comment

• Zeneffect
          Chieftain
          • May 2020

I do like their carriers enough to own 4 though I know a s7 carrier is a silly thing... they are stupid easy to clean, everything just wipes off with no effort. If you want any closeups of a sagrs I have one bnib.

Maybe I'll build an arc, give the bolt a spin, abuse the living hell out of it, break it, then report back. Should be able to test quite a few things within that cycle.

Comment

• grayfox
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2017

If you do, I'd be interested in the results.
            I'm not opposed to them, just cautious. More questions than answers, is all

Comment

• Zeneffect
              Chieftain
              • May 2020

Same here... no info or testing. I'll be willing to break a bolt for the cause, I doubt they would deny warranty given their previous heat treat issues.
              Last edited by Zeneffect; 12-09-2022, 02:36 AM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• SDguy
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2015

Did Bill A offer a better alternative to S7? I have worked with S7 a little bit years ago for making shear blades for corrugated steel. Was nice to work with in terms of machining. If Cost was not a factor & or machining ease, A2 might me most preferred hardened to roughly 58 rockwell for a great mix of toughness & hardness. Would be interested in reading more on temperature effect on brittleness of various materials at various hardnesses.

Would also be interested on pro's & cons of meloniting the bolt.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                    X