• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dmopar74
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2021

She needs to go on a diet

I built this poverty pony 6.5, but it's too heavy.
    The upper is a bca side charger 20" heavy barrel.
    Athlon scope with aero scope mount.
    Amazon Chinese bipod.

It's unfired, but I'm wondering if changing just the barrel to something else, maybe a lightweight 18" would work to cut a couple lbs. Or should I sell the upper and buy a whole new one? Also I want to get rid of the flash hider for just a muzzle nut to keep as much aimed away from shooters ears. Obviously I'm a cheap s.o.b. but know I have to pay for a decent lightweight barrel. The primary reason for this build was maybe to shoot some deer but mainly a longer range shtf situation, with that said I want light and "economic"

Here's the upper but it's a gen 1 side charger
    https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/6-5-grendel-20-parkerized-1-8-twist-rifle-15-handguard-sch2-nrail-spiral-flash-upper.html
    Last edited by Dmopar74; 12-11-2022, 09:16 PM.
  • Dmopar74
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2021

Maybe a 18" faxon gunner?
    The Gunner profile is a blend of two of the best performing profiles of all time, Gov't and Pencil. Faxon's Gunner profile combines the durability of the Gov't profile with the weight savings and maneuverability of the Pencil profile. The Gunner profile brings the balance of the rifle back towards the shooter's body, limiting fatigue, and allowing for shooting, training, or hunting all day long. Faxon's MATCH SERIES of barrels takes their renowned performance and value up a notch. Manufactured 100% in-house from gun-barrel-quality bar-stock, the Match Series starts with 416-R in 5R rifling. 5R is a hybrid rifling, with lands opposite grooves and reduced sharp angles that reduces jacket deformation increasing velocity and easy cleaning. After rigorous testing, the barrels are Nitride treated inside and out, locking in the bore, improving barrel life, and keeping the elements at bay. The extension is coated in Nickel Teflon which maintains incredible dry lubricity, corrosion resistance, and with the coating, tightens up fit between the extension and receiver - again improving upon accuracy. Combined, the Match Series of barrels are ready for when duty calls or the buzzer beeps with unrivaled performance value. Specifications: Barrel Material: 416R Stainless Steel Barrel Type: 5R Button Rifled  Barrel Caliber: 6.5 Grendel Type II Barrel Twist: 1:8 Barrel Length: 18” Barrel Profile:  Gunner Barrel Gas System: Mid Inside Finish: Salt Bath Nitride  Outside Finish: Salt Bath Nitride  Muzzle Thread:5/8-24 Gas Block Diameter: .750" Gas Block Journal Length: 1.9" Barrel Extension: M4, Nickel Teflon Coated  Weight:  1.68  lbs Magnetic Particle Inspected Recessed Target Crown Rainier Arms will check headspace on all barrels and bolts that are shipped together. As we ship out of multiple warehouses, we cannot guarantee that a barrel and bolt will ship together. If you need headspace checked prior to shipment, please add the headspace service from the gunsmithing page to your order. PLEASE ALLOW UP TO AN ADDITIONAL WEEK TO SHIP YOUR ORDER IF YOU ADD THIS SERVICE, as product may have to go from one warehouse to another.

Comment

• Zeneffect
      Chieftain
      • May 2020

Working out is cheaper.

Comment

• Dmopar74
        Unwashed
        • Jan 2021

Originally posted by Zeneffect View Post
        Working out is cheaper.
        Suppose you got real strong jaw muscles.

Comment

• grayfox
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2017

How much "too heavy" is this.
          What weight are you looking for?
          The weight is not just in the barrel, it's in the Athlon and maybe the barrel after that.
          Do you know how much the barrel weighs.
          Why do you need a side charger.

If it were me, I'd sell that upper and build my own from parts, that way you get the quality you want.
          "Inexpensive" is not cheap, you wind up paying for it in lots of untracked ways.

Barrel, trigger, scope/mount -- there's your accuracy.
          Low cost but inaccurate = no bargain.
          "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Dmopar74
            Unwashed
            • Jan 2021

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
            How much "too heavy" is this.
            What weight are you looking for?
            The weight is not just in the barrel, it's in the Athlon and maybe the barrel after that.
            Do you know how much the barrel weighs.
            Why do you need a side charger.

If it were me, I'd sell that upper and build my own from parts, that way you get the quality you want.
            "Inexpensive" is not cheap, you wind up paying for it in lots of untracked ways.

Barrel, trigger, scope/mount -- there's your accuracy.
            Low cost but inaccurate = no bargain.
            Barrel 52.65 oz
            Handguard 11.8
            Scope with mount 34.9
            Complete upper and lower with barrel nut 62.35

I don't need a side charger, it's just that's what I'm used to so I decided to make it the same as my other rifles.

Comment

• Dmopar74
              Unwashed
              • Jan 2021

I kinda knew at the time I bought the bca upper I wasn't going to be happy with it and would change the barrel eventually, but it's the money I had then to build a rifle. Do I wish I could of afforded a 5000$ rifle with a $5000 scope? Of course, but here I am

Comment

• Klem
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

Dm,

The biggest proportion of weight on a gun is its barrel, so biggest weight savings there.

Unfortunately that will cost money. Next will be the scope and mount but you already have a reasonably light scope/mount. So unless you go a red dot (more than half the weight saving of a scope) that's a non starter.

One thing you could do is take that bipod off the gun and put it in a pouch. Even better if you have a quick release clamp for it (I do this). It's just dead weight forward and not all shooting situations need it. It will improve your standing, kneeling, sitting, or using something solid like a tree or building shots. Plenty of other ways to rest a rifle like compact/lightweight bags, or your pack.

Comment

• grayfox
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2017

ok.
                  You don't need $5000...
                  That barrel does sound heavy.
                  Athlons, lots of guys are happy with them but they have a rep for being heavy. I'd look at either leupold or even better (IMO) vortex. Depends on the amount of magnification you think you need. Diamondback tactical ones are good glass, economical, good magnif. ranges, and better $$, you don't have to go with the razor-class (again unless you want to of course). Lots of times the cipers are on sale somewhere. Why do 34 oz when 25 will do.
                  As for barrels, the monsters are good ones, there's also Ballistic advantage or Odin. Faxon's to me are a 50-50. These are all mid-grade barrels, better ones like lilja or higher are more $$ but worth it.
                  Won't shave much off by changing handguards but you can try it, especially if you go a shorter length of gas/barrel.

Ditch the bipod, go with sandbags or a Caldwell Rock jr for front end support (bench). Bipods don't seem to work all that well unless you're dug into some dirt. Again my $0.02.
                  If you're hunting you can take along some lightweight shooting sticks or brace up against a tree or rail. I'm usually in a stand so again bipods aren't worth their weight to me.
                  "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• MachV
                    Bloodstained
                    • Sep 2018

In the same boat

My plan is to leave this upper as is for prairie dogs but build a different much lighter setup for coyotes and antelope.
                    A 16" barrel, lighter scope and losing the bipods aught to help?

Comment

• Dmopar74
                      Unwashed
                      • Jan 2021

So the 18" faxon gunner and the 16" BA fluted both weigh 27 oz, which is a huge weight savings. What's the effective range of these barrels?

Comment

• VASCAR2
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Last edited by VASCAR2; 12-12-2022, 02:11 PM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Last edited by VASCAR2; 12-12-2022, 02:05 PM.

Comment

• biodsl
                            Chieftain
                            • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Dmopar74 View Post
                            So the 18" faxon gunner and the 16" BA fluted both weigh 27 oz, which is a huge weight savings. What's the effective range of these barrels?
                            Don't discount the Six Five Outfitters Monster 16" at 29 ounces...and $160. While it's two ounces heavier, the weight is toward the rear around the chamber.

Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• EastTNHunter
                              Warrior
                              • Jul 2021

Comment

Working...
                              X