• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rusty Shackelford
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2018

Originally posted by montana View Post
    I had to open up the gas port on a 20" 5.56 rifle length Faxon barrel. I called Faxon and they gave me permission to proceed before I sent it back..They were great to work with. I have the correct chucking reamers-drill bits and pin gauges to do it properly.. If you try this, place a steel cleaning rod in the bore before you drill so you won't hit the side of the bore opposite the gas port.. I gradually opened the gas port, while test firing after each increase to get the proper port size..If all things were equal, a standard size gas port would work..Most rifles and ammunition are not equal..Drilling the gas port is the last option I will use..If you over size the gas port, you will have to adjust the gas some where a long the process, adj gas block, adj bolt carrier, adj gas tube, install a new gas tube with a smaller port, etc..
    Awesome. So it can be done. Thanks for the info.
    R.

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Rusty Shackelford View Post
      Thanks again.
      I just got finished with a bore scope and there is no miss-alignment of the gas block.
      It looks like now my next step is to pull the gas block off and measure the port.
      If it's under-sized, can I just drill it out with the proper size bit in a drill press. Surely it's not that simple. But I aint afraid to try it.
      R.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Rusty Shackelford
        Unwashed
        • Dec 2018

So, measuring the gas port in true hillbilly fashion, I used the shaft of drill bits. An .078" would pass with a little wiggle room. An .094" would not enter. I used it to open the port up to 0.94" then used an .109" to open it a little more.
        Preliminary testing firing a few rounds in the back yard shows ejection at 4oclock about 6' away. That's with a carbine stock and H buffer. No hiccups with FTFs or locking back on the last round. I am encouraged.
        I'll try to get to the range this week and try it with the rifle lower, but it looks like a rainy week and a full work schedule may get in the way.
        Again, thanks everyone for the help. It looks like I'm on the right track now.
        R.

Comment

• Harpoon1
          Chieftain
          • Dec 2017

If you try this, place a steel cleaning rod in the bore before you drill so you won't hit the side of the bore opposite the gas port.
          FD69F8C1-9275-4191-9E79-C4915A9D1882.jpeg
          Last edited by Harpoon1; 01-30-2023, 10:38 PM.

Comment

• Rusty Shackelford
            Unwashed
            • Dec 2018

I finally got out to the range yesterday and can happily report that this rifle now flows like water. With the rifle stock and buffer back in place it feeds all 4 kinds of ammo I have, plus three different hand loads, from all my mags. Yes, Wolf steel case too. And, it locks back on empty every time.
            Ejection pattern with Hornady American Gunner 123g was 7-8 feet away at about 5 o'clock in a neat little pile about the size of your average kitchen sink.
            Accuracy aint bad either. With Hornady Black I got a three shot group of 1.2" at 100 yards. I'm no bench rest shooter, so I feel like that's pretty good using a bi-pod rested on the hood of my Jeep. The American Gunner at 50 yards went three shots into a group that I could completely cover with a dime.
            Now that I have all this empty brass, can get to work on some more hand loads.
            Thanks all, R.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
              X