• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mebe007
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2022

Which gas block for suppressor

Hey guys, putting a can in jail this weekend. Just finalizing up my trust then off to my dealer. Currently have a tbac ultra 7 30can on hold. This will be for a 6.5 grendel AR and a 6mm arc AR. I've heard the 30 call can does better on the grendel for back pressure.

Currently my rifles have standard gas blocks with carbine length buffer tube, standard springs and standard carbine buffers. My 6mm arc is a monster 20" rifle length gas and my grendel is a monster 16" midlength gas

Now from what I can tell, I should swap out the gas blocks for adjustable to keep from being over gassed. The 2 I am looking at are the superlative and the aero. From what I can tell it seems most prefer the superlative.

Can anyone give some insight on this. Also my dealer also has the 7 in 6.5mm if that would be a better choice.20230201_143453.jpg
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Mebe007
      Unwashed
      • Dec 2022

Wouldn't it then vent excess gas out of the carrier, making it louder to the shooters ear?

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade opening scene with River Phoenix for the Boy Scout horse-riding trip.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Mebe007
            Unwashed
            • Dec 2022

Gotcha, where does the excess gas go to then? I clearly have time in this matter, but what would the carrier do that an adjustable block wouldn't, other than easier to adjust? It appears the bootleg carrier is $199 plus swapping out the bolt. This makes it much more expensive with what appears to be less adjustment. especially when outfitting 2 rifles, unless i swapped the carrier between each of them. I a sense, the carrier could get swapped with the can allowing each rifle to function normally unsuppressed, if my thinking is correct.

Comment

• montana
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2011

There is no best anything, as there are pros and cons with anything. That said, my favorite adj gas block is the Rifle Speed.. Maintenance is simple as it is to replace parts if and when I need to..They have different length plungers to customize individual gas systems, control knobs to fit different length hand guards and spacers..There is no need for any tool to adjust, as you adjust with your fingers..I have gotten my rifle very hot, yet I had no problem adjusting with my bare hands.. Quick and easy. The adjustment spring is on the outside, avoiding the heat internal springs types encounter and eventually fail from.. No matter what anyone claims, adj gas blocks require maintenance. With the Rifle Speed I removed the plunger, knocked the carbon off with zero issues.. The Rifle Speed gas block is in a class all its own..The negative is the cost and the required straight gas tube..

Comment

• Mebe007
                Unwashed
                • Dec 2022

Originally posted by montana View Post
                There is no best anything, as there are pros and cons with anything. That said, my favorite adj gas block is the Rifle Speed.. Maintenance is simple as it is to replace parts if and when I need to..They have different length plungers to customize individual gas systems, control knobs to fit different length hand guards and spacers..There is no need for any tool to adjust, as you adjust with your fingers..I have gotten my rifle very hot, yet I had no problem adjusting with my bare hands.. Quick and easy. The adjustment spring is on the outside, avoiding the heat internal springs types encounter and eventually fail from.. No matter what anyone claims, adj gas blocks require maintenance. With the Rifle Speed I removed the plunger, knocked the carbon off with zero issues.. The Rifle Speed gas block is in a class all its own..The negative is the cost and the required straight gas tube..

https://www.riflespeed.com/RIFLESPEE...-750_p_12.html
                I did see the rifle speed and it intrigued me. I actually saw it in a suppressor demonstration. my 20" has a 17" handguard and my 16" has a 15" handguard. Their compatibility chart doesn't show anything fitting my 16" setup. With they weren't quite so expensive.

Comment

• Bigs28
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2016

The bootleg Carrier is the simplest but I like my shiny cryptic coating so I have a superlative arms in one rifle and JP adjustable gas block in another

Comment

• montana
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Mebe007 View Post
                    I did see the rifle speed and it intrigued me. I actually saw it in a suppressor demonstration. my 20" has a 17" handguard and my 16" has a 15" handguard. Their compatibility chart doesn't show anything fitting my 16" setup. With they weren't quite so expensive.
                    Yes, you have to use the proper length hand guard for access to the Rifle Speed as with any adj gas block..

Comment

• PNWTargets
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2019

If you already have rifles together you can always wait and put the can on them and change out components as needed. Every set up is different and yes any component you can adjust gas flow is nice.

Comment

• mtnlvr
                        Warrior
                        • Feb 2019

I put the SA clamp on adj gas block on my 12" 6.5G and an 18" 5.56. My reasoning, right or wrong, was it seemed that I'd rather mitigate the excess gas before it got to the chamber. Yes, a long allen wrench helps in adjusting (ball style even better) depending on your handguard and barrel config, but I don't adjust much once I find the right setting for unsuppressed and suppressed (super and subsonic if needed).

Comment

• LRRPF52
                          Super Moderator
                          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Mebe007 View Post
                          Gotcha, where does the excess gas go to then? I clearly have time in this matter, but what would the carrier do that an adjustable block wouldn't, other than easier to adjust? It appears the bootleg carrier is $199 plus swapping out the bolt. This makes it much more expensive with what appears to be less adjustment. especially when outfitting 2 rifles, unless i swapped the carrier between each of them. I a sense, the carrier could get swapped with the can allowing each rifle to function normally unsuppressed, if my thinking is correct.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Happy2Shoot
                            Warrior
                            • Nov 2018

Just wait and shoot them first.

Never change to a heavier spring.

Switch to a H3 buffer, especially if you reload. https://www.kakindustry.com/ar15-h3-...buffer-red-top

Buy the absolute lightest can you can find. You can still mag dump 2 magazines just fine with the Nomad Ti. tbac ultra 7 30can looks like 10 oz. Good.

If you ever shoot it indoors with no airflow you will cry from the gas. Outdoor shooting you should be fine unless the wind is slow and in your face.

Be prepared to be disappointed with any adjustable block you buy. They all jam up, they all clog, none of them are combat reliable.

I don't shoot unsuppressed anymore so I don't unadjust my gas blocks. Problem solved.

Just my 2 cents
                            Last edited by Happy2Shoot; 02-02-2023, 08:31 PM.

Comment

• Happy2Shoot
                              Warrior
                              • Nov 2018

Also more noise at your ear and more gas at your face.

Comment

Working...
                              X