• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coop
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2018

BCA my Diamond

So I posted on the BCA uppers on sale. But loving this rifle so much, thought I would post as a light review. I bought a 18" stainless complete upper in 6.5 Grendal. The box came in 3 days. The upper was ready to shoot out of box. Very clean, no debris or grease. Lightly oiled and ready to shoot. I had 60 rds of Hornady black 123gr eldm. I have a short Hawke 1.5x5 32mm on it took 2 shots to sight in. Ran a 5" GA Jager' can the whole time. Rock River lower, 2 stage trigger 1.5lb. Then I started shooting groups. I never cleaned gun, or did any breakin. Just shooting it, shot first group at .6 moa. I shot all 60rds not one failure, with can it got very dirty, but still no failures. Groups were all MOA or better. Had some 3 shot at .4moa and a 7shot .7 moa.

Many seem to have bad luck with BCA. This is my 2nd I have a .450BM that's just awesome too.

Wednesday went out to 200yd range and it did very well. Only shot 15 rds but no failures, using same 123gr eldm. Had chrono avg 2543. 3 five shot groups avg 1.5 moa, best .7moa.

A diamond in the rough for sure for the money.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Coop; 05-19-2023, 01:19 PM.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Thanks for posting Coop, looks like you got a real good one.

Comment

• rickt300
      Warrior
      • Jan 2017

My upper was different as to the need for cleaning. the bore and upper reciever were liberally coated with a very sticky grease. Had to use a brush and carb cleaner to get the bore clean. Rag and Brake fluid worked for the reciever and bolt. I have fire 27 rounds through it and both reloads tested shot very well though one was just a Moscow match thing. Going out right now to try the newest load using 29.5 grains of BLC2 and the 120 gr. Barnes Matchburner. I have some Hornady Black ELDM but have enough brass not to need to shoot it up.

Comment

• ported45
        Warrior
        • Feb 2018

Originally posted by rickt300 View Post
        My upper was different as to the need for cleaning. the bore and upper reciever were liberally coated with a very sticky grease. Had to use a brush and carb cleaner to get the bore clean. Rag and Brake fluid worked for the reciever and bolt. I have fire 27 rounds through it and both reloads tested shot very well though one was just a Moscow match thing. Going out right now to try the newest load using 29.5 grains of BLC2 and the 120 gr. Barnes Matchburner. I have some Hornady Black ELDM but have enough brass not to need to shoot it up.
        And supposedly every BCA upper only leaves the premises after having 3 shots test-fired at their proving range. Hard to believe that one was fired and retained all that grease in the bore and even harder to believe that they test-fired it and THEN greased it up like it was going into cold storage.

Not doubting you at all; just doubting BCA carried through on their claims.

Comment

• Coop
          Unwashed
          • Jul 2018

I found some Hornady 123gr SST Saturday. Took it out for a spin with that round. It didn't group as well as the 123gr eldm, but still decent. I only shot 3 groups of 3 and 1 group of 5. 3 shot 1st group 1.25", 2nd 1", 3rd 1.125". 5 shot 1.25".
          I have some reloads to try today after work. Trying 85gr Hammer Hunter with TAC. And 120gr eldm with TAC and CFE223. Still no failures of any kind.

Comment

• rickt300
            Warrior
            • Jan 2017

Originally posted by ported45 View Post
            And supposedly every BCA upper only leaves the premises after having 3 shots test-fired at their proving range. Hard to believe that one was fired and retained all that grease in the bore and even harder to believe that they test-fired it and THEN greased it up like it was going into cold storage.

Not doubting you at all; just doubting BCA carried through on their claims.
            I have ordered and received an upper that actually came with three fired cases from BCA, not this one. I imagine with their volume they use customers as test personnel at times.

Comment

• Coop
              Unwashed
              • Jul 2018

Okay more data with hand loads, all 3 shot groups @83 degrees. Waited 15 mins between groups for barrel to return to cool to touch. Real good results with 85gr HH, TAC @2.166 coal. 30gr 2801 .7moa SD 11, 30.5 2850 .6moa SD 7, 31 2890 .8moa SD 8 some pressure with ejector marks. Going to look more around that 30.3 to 30.7 area. Wanting this for main hunting flat shooting load. Plan to try 99gr HH too.

120gr eldm with cfe 223 @2.245 first group one hole like .2moa 30gr 2460 SD 5, 30.5 1.2moa 2500 SD 18, 31gr 2.25moa 2550 SD 16, 31.5 1.2moa 2588 SD 12 very faint ejector marks. Will play more with that 30gr area to make sure its a stable load.

Still no failures and gun will shoot no doubt.

Comment

• rickt300
                Warrior
                • Jan 2017

Looking good. Haven't done any real new load development just loaded up what worked before in other rifles. Think I will do some hunting with it before I change anything. I need to get a set of 30mm rings.

Comment

• EastTNHunter
                  Warrior
                  • Jul 2021

Comment

• Coop
                    Unwashed
                    • Jul 2018

Finished my load devolvement for now. My Hunting load is 85grHH 2850fps 30.5 gr of TAC 2" high @100 =225yd dead on. -5.5" 300yd.
                    Target and backup hunting Hornady 120gr eldm 30.2 cfe223 2488. I will be testing the new released tipped Hammer hunters soon.6.585group.jpg

Comment

• EastTNHunter
                      Warrior
                      • Jul 2021

What is your POI difference between the 85g and 120g loads?

Comment

• Coop
                        Unwashed
                        • Jul 2018

Originally posted by EastTNHunter View Post
                        What is your POI difference between the 85g and 120g loads?
                        about 1" high and 1/2" left.

Comment

Working...
                        X