• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • longrange223
    Unwashed
    • Apr 2023

Head spaced bolt?

Thinking of getting a new barrel for my Grendel and was wondering how much difference getting a barrel with a matching bolt made in accuracy? Also, which barrel manufacturers tend to make an accurate barrel? Shooting mostly out to 800 yards off the bench, Looking for something in the 20" range with a rifle length gas system, Any recommendations would be appreciated...
  • lazyengineer
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2019

JMHO, but as long as you stay away from the goofy demensions spec's of 10 years ago, it's mostly a non-item. the days of a hand crafted bolt and a barrel's headspace being a variable demension based on how well it's screwed into the machine shop made and threaded receiver, are long gone. Basically today, any commercial bolt and any commercial barrel is going to work togother, if they were made right. and it's rare for them not to be made right. That, and headspace handwringing is a bit over played. Biggest issue really is too short of HS, where the gun doesn't reliably close. And in an AR15, that's more annoying than it is dangerious (It's quite dangerous in an M1 or M14 where the firing pin can still hit the primer even when not closed; unlike AR15). It takes a very very very long headspace to break shells, unless you are reloading. And even then, it doesn't actually Kaboom, the shell just breaks in half, and the bottom half holds the seal. And the gun jams.

Point being - just buy a modern barrel and a modern bolt, and you'll be fine. I will say, for bolt, the ones here at 65 outfiters are where I suggest you start, personally.

Just MHO. If anyone hwere longer than me says different, give their post more weight than mine - but that's been my own experience with the AR platform both .223 and 6.5 Grendel
    Last edited by lazyengineer; 05-22-2023, 09:46 PM.
    4x P100

Comment

• montana
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2011

I have seen quite a few short chambers and I have one Grendel bolt that won't pass a go gauge in any of my Grendel rifles.. I always check the head space in my rifles, especially with a go gauge..Changing bolts can effect head space in the AR platform..Using incremental head space gauges will always reveal the actual head space when changing bolts..

Comment

• Klem
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

LR223,

I wouldn't expect a 'Matching' barrel/bolt combo to make any noticeable difference to accuracy, but it does give peace of mind it is within spec.

It is fair to assume that the quality of the bolt will match the quality of the barrel. High-end barrel manufacturers are not going to pair their barrels with low-end bolts. Also fair to expect that a combination bolt and barrel sold as 'Matching' means a machinist has checked the pair. So confidence will be high it will be within spec when it gets to you. Headspace aside, and regardless of whether you buy a 'matched pair' or source the barrel and bolt separately, accuracy is more influenced by other things - like the quality of the barrel itself.

Comment

• longrange223
          Unwashed
          • Apr 2023

That's good to hear, Any preference as to cut rifled or button rifled?

Comment

• Bonas
            Warrior
            • Mar 2022

A matched bolt is a better term, IMO. Good barrel finishers will take the barrel they are sending to you and go through a selection of bolts to find one that mates with your barrel extension in a way that will keep you within headspace spec for a reasonably long time as the throat erodes. I've had White Oak Armament and Satern do this. In a similar vein, for Grendel, Compass Lake Engineering will check headspace with a bolt you send them to make sure whatever barrel extension they put on your barrel does the same. I would not expect any measurable difference in accuracy. It's just a way to avoid the need for headspace gauges and have some assurance of a longer barrel life. I'm sure many other finishers offer equivalent services.

Not too many shops both manufacture and finish blanks. Krieger and Lilja come to mind.

For the best chance at the best accuracy, cut rifled blanks are the top of the heap.

Many people consider Krieger and Bartlein (both cut-rifled) to be the top barrel blank manufacturers. Many other good ones exist like Lilja, Shilen, Douglas, Wilson Arms, etc. (all button-rifled). Step 1 is to figure out what barrel blank you want. Step 2 is to figure out who you want to finish the blank. Step 3 is the hardest: Figuring out who will deliver your finished barrel in a reasonable amount of time.
            Last edited by Bonas; 05-29-2023, 03:27 AM.

Comment

• Klem
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by longrange223 View Post
              That's good to hear, Any preference as to cut rifled or button rifled?
              No, but I am particular about manufacturer.

Bartlein and Krieger use cut, whereas Lilja and Shilen prefer button. They are all top-shelf for best shooting, although I would prefer the first three over Shilen.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                Chieftain
                • May 2016

I'll throw a 22" JP sold only with a matching JP bolt into the mix. The accuracy of mine has only been personally bested by a carbon fiber Proof 6.5CM barrel. And it loves 123 gr Scenars which is the best ticket for shooting to 800 and beyond at lower altitudes. Mine's at 5k plus and still (practical) match worthy.
                Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• longrange223
                  Unwashed
                  • Apr 2023

Are the Satern cut rifled barrels any good?

Comment

• Bonas
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2022

Perhaps the most impressive rifle shooting I've seen was done with a Satern barrel. It's the only time I've ever felt compelled to ask someone what kind of barrel they were shooting. I have a button-rifled Liberty barrel by Satern which after a couple hundred rounds of break in shoots well. Personally, I'd go with a Krieger or Bartlein, if you can get one within your time frame. They're just so well-established.

When I was shopping high-end Grendel barrels two years or so ago, JP didn't have any Grendel barrels and didn't expect any anytime soon. I've never heard of anyone having a JP barrel that wasn't accurate.
                    Last edited by Bonas; 05-24-2023, 03:30 AM.

Comment

• longrange223
                      Unwashed
                      • Apr 2023

Was it cut rifled or button rifled?

Comment

• Bonas
                        Warrior
                        • Mar 2022

Originally posted by longrange223 View Post
                        Was it cut rifled or button rifled?
                        Satern barrels are cut-rifled. Liberty barrels are button-rifled. Lots of people call Liberty barrels Satern, but that's really a misnomer (created by bad branding on Satern's part, IMO).

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                          Administrator
                          • Feb 2011

I have a Satern stainless cut-rifled barrel from, wow, 2006? It's a laser.
                          :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• longrange223
                            Unwashed
                            • Apr 2023

I went ahead and bought a 20" satern cut rifled barrel with matching bolt, Supposed to be here Monday, Can't wait to try it out

Comment

Working...
                            X