• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HoustonHipster6.5
    Bloodstained
    • Feb 2021

6.5 Grendel Blowing Up Guns?

A guy at the range was telling me why he doesn't use 6.5G. He's an ex-SWAT guy and an avid reloader. He was trying to sell me on the 25-50 Sharps. He said that the way 6.5G seats into the rifling of the barrel in an AR or other semi-auto causes a pressure spike at the throat of the barrel and causes guns to explode. He's a smart guy, but that sounded like horsesh*t.

Anyone know anything about this issue? Any validity to it?

Thanks in advance.
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

Sounds like a moron walking, to me.
    He needs some elementary instruction in what happens during the first few microsec after striking the primer. Note that for QL and Grt one typically winds up accounting for a larger "case volume factor" since when the bullet obturates into the rifling it leaves some chamber volume behind, which adds to the case volume and then becomes the chamber in which the gas pressure builds.
    The method of bullet motion and seating in a grrr is the same as for any AR style barrel, I would dare to say the same as for any barrel, except for those where the bullet is jammed into the lands from the first.
    Maybe his experience comes from such land-jamming, or from a gross overpressure - kaboom style - of a large overcharge??
    He is welcome to his opinion but literally thousands of shooters and millions of rounds would argue against him.
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• stonehog
      Warrior
      • Oct 2021

It sounds like he's trying to sell you something.

Comment

• biodsl
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2011

Please...please ignore that guy.

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
        He is welcome to his opinion but literally thousands of shooters and millions of rounds would argue against him.
        What grayfox said.
        Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• kmon
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2015

Originally posted by stonehog View Post
          I think you are right. Also involves something I shoveled a bit of when showing bulls in the FFA years ago.

Per QL in most the highest chamber pressure happens very close to the time the bullet has fully been engraved by the rifling which in the Grendel is more gradual progression to the rifling in from throat to full rifling in the barrel is more gradual. Peak pressure generally occurs just after the bullet is fully engraved with the rifling and fully fitting the bore. The Grendel is also a lower pressure round than most used modern cartridges. 4 to 10 thousand less PSI in the Grendel than other rounds, I would want to hear him explain how less peak pressure leads to more blown up barrels.

If he blew one up that way properly loaded the bullet does not engage with the lands until it has moved some overcoming the neck tension resistance and started moving. Perhaps he was loading long jamming into the lands and using the extra powder volume in the case hot rodding for all possible velocity. if you want more velocity get a bigger cartridge. I will take the Grendel and enjoy it and if I want more velocity I will go to a larger cartridge with more powder space and higher standard pressure in say an AR10.

Comment

• JASmith
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2014

The compound throat has confused a lot of would be smart guys.

The interesting thing is that the compound throat and short cartridge in the Grendel actually reduce peak pressures from what QuickLoad and GRT predict. There are two primary reasons for this:

First, the gentle taper in the throat reduces the initial engraving force.

Second, the primer charge slaps the back of the longer bullets before the main powder charge gets into its burn. That results both in a larger case volume and more initial movement than are modeled in the predictors.

Both are difficult to model in either QL or GRT with the core math model they use.
            shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
            -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• lazyengineer
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2019

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
              The compound throat has confused a lot of would be smart guys.

The interesting thing is that the compound throat and short cartridge in the Grendel actually reduce peak pressures from what QuickLoad and GRT predict. There are to primary reasons for this:

First, the gentle taper in the throat reduces the initial engraving force.

Second, the primer charge slaps the back of the longer bullets before the main powder charge gets into its burn. That results both in a larger case volume and more initial movement than are modeled in the predictors.

Both are difficult to model in either QL or GRT with the core math model they use.
              Thanks for that. GRT way overpredicts Grendel, and this is the first good explanation I've seen on why that might be.
              4x P100

Comment

• VASCAR2
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Sounds like the guy is confusing 300 Black Out with 6.5 Grendel. Very common to blow up an AR-15 mixing ammo in 300 BO in 5.56 AR-15. The only AR-15 I ever saw Kaboom was using hand loads where the person inadvertently mixed pistol and rifle powder loaded into 5.56. Fortunately no one was seriously injured but sure ruined a very nice AR-15.

Comment

• grayfox
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2017

Originally posted by stonehog View Post
                  Definitely a "Music Man" scene "yes there's trouble, right here in River City...!!!"
                  JA's explanation was what I was trying to get to as well... his is more to the point technically.
                  "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• TomSawyerNW
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2015

First I ever heard of this after many years of being in forums for guns of all types. I imagine he has some hard evidence? And if he doesnt...well....
                    If the Democrats had been in power when this country was founded, we'd be the British.

Comment

• Old Bob
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2019

I had a kaboom once. In a 3 gun match I was shooting re-manufactured 5.56 NATO ammo that was made by a local outfit here in Albuquerque. I had a round rupture on me. It blew a hole out the side of the case, jamming a section of the case head into the bolt face where it is permanently stuck. The escaping gasses blew the magazine out of the receiver, scattering magazine parts & remaining ammo everywhere. The bolt face & the carrier were both cracked with some parts sheared off & lost it the dirt where I was shooting. The receivers, after a thorough exam, were deemed still functional. Except for a little lost dignity, I was unharmed.

I took what was left of the ruptured case & the remaining ammo back to the maker & showed him what happened. I've known the guy for years & was good friends with his daughter & SIL. He expressed his surprise & offered to buy back the remaining ammo, an offer I accepted. I was surprised as well 'cause I know he took great pride in his products. Crap happens sometimes even when you take care to do the best you can.
                      I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                        Chieftain
                        • May 2016

Last month, a guy at the range told me that ammo is expensive because manufacturers are hiding it in secret warehouses instead of selling it. You can learn lots of interesting things from guys at the range.
                        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                          Chieftain
                          • Sep 2013

The only time I have heard of a Grendel kabooming was with handloads during rapid fire with a squib.
                          Kill a hog. Save the planet.
                          My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                            Administrator
                            • Feb 2011

Originally posted by stonehendge View Post
                            last month, a guy at the range told me that ammo is expensive because manufacturers are hiding it in secret warehouses instead of selling it. You can learn lots of interesting things from guys at the range.
                            Ha!
                            :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• LRRPF52
                              Super Moderator
                              • Sep 2014

Last edited by LRRPF52; 12-06-2023, 04:10 PM.
                              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                              X