• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KC_Joe
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2023

Some buffer questions

I picked up a couple flat wire buffer springs from Armaspec recently. When installing, I noticed the factory spring sat right against the head of the buffer, while the new springs sat "at the top of the body" and stopped where the body opens up a little before turning into the head of the buffer (I feel like this description stinks)......anyhow do you think this difference would cause any cycling or function issues? In my mind the BCG might not travel into the buffer tube as far, but I'm not sure.

Additionally, I've been reading and searching for info about buffer weight. My Grendel ejects nicely, around 4:00, but feels like it slaps open when fired. Wondering about an Odin Works adjustable buffer to play with buffer weight, but also wonder if it's even worth messing with since ejection is good?

Thanks!
  • Klem
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

KC,

Are you sure that flat spring can't be worked with a bit of effort to where it sits properly against the lip of the buffer? A spiral spring should be able to expand laterally as well as longitudinally. It should sit up against the lip, not the collar. The collar is designed to center the buffer and remove lateral slack.

Finding the best spring and buffer system for the length of barrel, gas system length and gas port diameter is usually done for you at the factory. As soon as you start swapping out for after market or building your own you run the risk of engineering an inefficient system. Best to get the heaviest buffer that will lock back on last round. Heaviest buffer will make for smoother cycling, especially with short barrels where early unlocking is common. The heavier the buffer the more it delays unlocking. Rather than faff around with springs and buffers you could get an adjustable gas block or adjustable carrier. Put your heaviest buffer in and slowly open up the gas until it locks back on last round. A little further for reliability and don't change it unless using a suppressor or different ammo.

Comment

• KC_Joe
      Bloodstained
      • Nov 2023

Much appreciated

Comment

• montana
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2011

There is a lot of misunderstanding about buffer weights.. Heavier buffers effect on dwell time or lock time (the amount of time the bolt bolt takes to unlock) is insignificant..

What heavier buffers do is slow the carrier's velocity..After the bolt unlocks, it is the buffer's weight that will have an effect on the residual pressure, not dwell or lock time..
        Excessive carrier velocity can be improved in an over gassed system with heavier buffers, but they can also have negative effects such as lower gas ring life, increased perceived recoil and bent firing pin retainer pins..

It is always (best) to mitigate the gas to the rifles system if possible..

Computer graphs of tests done by SilencrCo shows the lock time and carrier velocity during a high speed camera test using different buffer weights in an M4 rifle suppressed and un-suppressed.. The test proved Colts finding back in the 1960's when they switched the not so effective Edgewater ring springs buffer spring guide to the new 3 times heavier buffer developed by Colt engineer Foster Sturtevant, to counter the higher port pressure created by the slower burning WC846 ball powder..

Comment

• Klem
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

[QUOTE=montana;311263]

What heavier buffers do is slow the carrier's velocity..After the bolt unlocks, it is the buffer's weight that will have an effect on the residual pressure, not dwell or lock time..

Montana,

That does not makes sense to me. I think we agree that the bolt cannot unlock without the carrier having moved - this is integral to the design. How then does the weight of the buffer only have an effect after it has moved enough to unlock?

Comment

• montana
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2011

The port pressures are in thousands of pounds..A few ounces more in buffer weight is not going to have much effect on lock time..

For example, the original port pressure using the original IMR 4475 powder was 14,400 PSI.. When they switched to WC846 ball powder, the port pressure increased to 15,400 PSI..This is the force that unlocks the bolt..The actual dwell time is the point between the gas port and the end of the barrel when the gas system is charged..All things being equal (gas port /size/port location, remaining the same) the residual pressure was much higher with the ball powder than the original IMR powder, hence the carrier velocity increase and cycle rate problems..

Lock time is effected by the cam track design and port pressure..Once the bolt unlocks, the residual pressure is vented out the ejection port..The higher the port pressure, the higher the residual pressure.. Once the bolt unlocks, the carrier velocity is affected by the residual pressure and carrier weight does become a factor..

As Colt learned in the 1960's and the SilencerCo high speed video graphs revealed, the buffer weights effect on lock time was insignificant, even suppressed.. Residual pressure / carrier velocity is effected by buffer weight..

When LMT designed their enhanced bolt carrier for shorter barreled gas systems, they changed the bolt cam track to increase the lock time so residual pressures would have more time to dissipate after the bullet left the barrel... It worked very well.. The reason the military rejected the enhanced bolt carrier for shorter barreled rifles was because it was not reliable with rifle length gas systems (too low of residual pressure to reliably cycle the rifle length gas system) and they didn't want to have two types of carriers in the supply system..

When the bolt unlocks, the extractor lifts completely off the case rim and is dependent on the same residual pressure to hold the case against the face of the bolt until the extractor lowers back down to allow extraction....

A good example of residual pressure would be an air hose..When an air hose is plugged into a compressor, the air hose is charged..When you unhook the air hose, the air escaping from the hose is residual pressure..

Balancing the residual pressure is what determines a reliable gas system and there are different ways to approach this..Which one is optimum is what creates a great many debates on gun forums..
            Last edited by montana; 01-01-2024, 04:45 AM.

Comment

• Klem
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

Montana,

I get your ideas: residual pressure in hoses/barrels (associated with dwell time), LMT's different cam track and the politics behind it on AR15.com.

So, you are saying heavier buffers do little to smooth and slow unlocking?

Comment

• montana
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2011

I don't know what you mean by smooth, but yes, heavier buffers effect on the bolt unlocking/opening cycle is negligible..

I first read about this in the Black Rifle book Page 200-201..Colts newer buffer was nearly 3 times heavier than the older Edge Water buffer and its effect was insignificant on the bolt-opening cycle..

The SilencerCo high speed camera/computer graphs verified this..

Comment

• grayfox
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2017

Having a negligible effect seems reasonable, at least for the unlocking: as I understand it, unlocking is primarily a rotational motion/operation, which some extra mass in the buffer would not have any impact on. As for rearward motion, seems possible that an increase of ounces compared with the thousands ksi pressure acting upon it (the cross sectional area being the same) so the force/acceleration, F=m*a, might get slowed a bit by having to accelerate a heavier mass... but it could also be a negligible impact. I haven't run any numbers personally, but it doesn't defy logic either.

edit to add.
                  I went back to listen to the video, it started for me (in the link) about 14:00 into the run. His discussion revealed a couple things that might have a bearing on this discussion here, as what I would call clarifications.
                  1. His discussion of bolts and buffers in this part of the vid seems to revolve around shooting suppressed/unsuppr., as well as he mentions that some might be using "boutique" really heavy buffers (beyond the H1-H3 range) -- of which boutiques I don't have any knowledge-- as compared to H1-H3 buffers. In discussing bolt movement, he says a heavier buffer (implying mostly the H1-H3 range) will slow down buffer movement and make it run "smoother" - a rather unscientific term imo, but probably referring to a more or less lack of "crashing" into the back of the buffer track at the end of the rearward movement... He does also say that there is a delay in buffer opening, but it is of the order of 0.5-1.0 millisec, which to him was a negligible timeframe.
                  2. I didn't see parts where any graphics of bolt motion or high-speed vid segments, so I'll leave that discussion to others. Maybe those were at a different point in the vid.

This all may or may not impact our discussion here, but for someone shooting only unsuppressed, and thinking of whether to use carbine, H1, 2, or 3, the "slower opening" may not be perceptible but a slower buffer velocity and "not-so-crashing-into" the far back travel stop, may be perceptible, and useful. Any "slowing" of the opening cycle is probably not detectable to the avg user.
                  Last edited by grayfox; 01-01-2024, 05:09 PM.
                  "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• montana
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2011

TACOM Understanding Extractor Lift in the M16 Family of Weapons test..https://www.slideserve.com/mead/may-2003

This test explains the importance of residual pressure in the extraction process..I have posted this on this forum before..

Comment

• SDW
                        Warrior
                        • Jul 2018

If you're going to try a flat-wire spring, maybe you should get one from the guy who (I think) invented the idea. David Tubb. He no doubt has done the most testing with them. This spring works in both Rifle and Carbine buffer systems, and it fits properly on both style buffers:

Tubb Precision AR-15 CS Buffer Spring; High Performance Tubb Precision Flatwire Buffer Spring.

Having said that though, I'll admit I used one for a while but I found that it wouldn't allow some of my lighter loaded .223 ammo to cycle fully. So it made the most sense just to swap back to a standard spring. Might have been when I had it in my Rifle lower with the rifle buffer.

Haven't tried this spring with any of my Grendels, so I can't say how it works there.

ETA: After thinking about it, in this situation it might simply be best to start out running the rifle with a standard carbine spring and standard carbine (no "H" anything) buffer. See if it runs okay, meaning reliably, with that before experimenting with 'better' parts that might affect felt recoil, etc. it should work fine with standard parts. I believe Klem touched on this earlier. Make sure the rifle works with standard parts. Then maybe start playing with heavier buffers if you want.
                        Last edited by SDW; 01-01-2024, 06:34 PM.

Comment

• montana
                          Chieftain
                          • Jun 2011

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                          Having a negligible effect seems reasonable, at least for the unlocking: as I understand it, unlocking is primarily a rotational motion/operation, which some extra mass in the buffer would not have any impact on. As for rearward motion, seems possible that an increase of ounces compared with the thousands ksi pressure acting upon it (the cross sectional area being the same) so the force/acceleration, F=m*a, might get slowed a bit by having to accelerate a heavier mass... but it could also be a negligible impact. I haven't run any numbers personally, but it doesn't defy logic either.

edit to add.
                          I went back to listen to the video, it started for me (in the link) about 14:00 into the run. His discussion revealed a couple things that might have a bearing on this discussion here, as what I would call clarifications.
                          1. His discussion of bolts and buffers in this part of the vid seems to revolve around shooting suppressed/unsuppr., as well as he mentions that some might be using "boutique" really heavy buffers (beyond the H1-H3 range) -- of which boutiques I don't have any knowledge-- as compared to H1-H3 buffers. In discussing bolt movement, he says a heavier buffer (implying mostly the H1-H3 range) will slow down buffer movement and make it run "smoother" - a rather unscientific term imo, but probably referring to a more or less lack of "crashing" into the back of the buffer track at the end of the rearward movement... He does also say that there is a delay in buffer opening, but it is of the order of 0.5-1.0 millisec, which to him was a negligible timeframe.
                          2. I didn't see parts where any graphics of bolt motion or high-speed vid segments, so I'll leave that discussion to others. Maybe those were at a different point in the vid.

This all may or may not impact our discussion here, but for someone shooting only unsuppressed, and thinking of whether to use carbine, H1, 2, or 3, the "slower opening" may not be perceptible but a slower buffer velocity and "not-so-crashing-into" the far back travel stop, may be perceptible, and useful. Any "slowing" of the opening cycle is probably not detectable to the avg user.
                          Go back and watch the video..The graphs are plainly shown and the time the bolt unlocks and the velocity/time frame of the carriers..In one of the graphs, the lighter buffer actual unlocked later than some of the heavier ones..The point was the difference in the unlocking time frame using different buffer weight is insignificant, which was my point from the start..Heavier buffers do slow the carrier velocity consistently.

52 is correct that the heavier buffers were used to prevent bolt/carrier bounce..The heavier the barrel the more carrier bounce occurs..

What I consistently here/read is that many people think the heavier buffers will delay the bolt from unlocking and improve dwell time which is not true..

Heavier recoil springs and buffers will also slow the carrier velocity which will prevent feeding and recoil problems ( it allows more time for the magazine spring to push the next cartridge in the magazine in the proper position for the carrier to grab) if the rifle is over gassed..

I have always advocated mitigating the gas if possible, but like I stated earlier it is a topic with many different opinions....

Comment

• KC_Joe
                            Bloodstained
                            • Nov 2023

Really appreciate the discussion here.

To SDW's point, this rifle runs well with its factory parts (carbine buffer and spring). It does have an adjustable gas block, which I've experimented with a bit, but maybe some additional adjustments through its whole range might be worthwhile.

Comment

• SDW
                              Warrior
                              • Jul 2018

Originally posted by KC_Joe View Post
                              Really appreciate the discussion here.

To SDW's point, this rifle runs well with its factory parts (carbine buffer and spring). It does have an adjustable gas block, which I've experimented with a bit, but maybe some additional adjustments through its whole range might be worthwhile.
                              The reason I mentioned it is because in your other thread about receiving your upper you said you are/were not getting full lock-back sometimes. If that's the case then your rifle might be a little under-gassed for various possible reasons, or it doesn't like the heavier buffer and 'aftermarket' spring, or a combo of both.

And of course if it is under gassed, IMHO there's no point in experimenting with the gas adjustments on the gas block. You'd want to open it up all the way and get all available pressure coming up through the barrel's gas port. 'Cause at the risk of stating the obvious, AGBs can only reduce gas pressure. They can't magically amplify it.

Comment

Working...
                              X