• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • worthen86ford
    Warrior
    • May 2016

14.5 Rexus / 65arms Build

So i just received my rexus 14.5" barrel for a new build and would like a few opinions on optics and buffer weights. I like the Grendel cartridge and the AR15 as general purpose rifles using them for hunting deer and hogs in east Texas as well as home defense / boogaloo options.

I currently have 2 grendels built up, both with Alexander Arms 16" midlength barrels (their old SS straight fluted with the 9/16" threads) and standard carbine buffer springs. 1 uses a Spikes T2 buffer (4 oz) and the other uses the ADM HD Buffer (4.4 oz). when i put the first one together with a standard carbine buffer, the recoil impulse was too much and was causing a midwest friction type handguard to walk off the barrel nut when shot supported. heavier buffer seemed to correct that. My question is, does anyone have experience with the rexus 14.5 barrel and a recommended buffer / spring combo? I have a standard buffer and a springco red that i plan to test out when i get this thing together, but could pull a standard carbine spring from the other rifles to figure out the tuning as well. I am not really wanting to mess with Adjustable gas blocks. i have a .750" 3 prong flash hider that i think was a group buy item years ago i plan to pin and weld to 16".

As far as optics, my current rifles have a 1-8 trijicon accupower and a trijicon 1-4 ascent. the 1-8 is my primary rifle and the 1-4 sits on my "7yo daughters" rifle. This 14.5 will be my "5yo daughters" rifle. I like LPVOs for the versatility since these rifles do sit ready for social work. instead of setting this 14.5 up with another LPVO, i am considering focusing on weight savings with something like a PA 3x micro prism. Still fits the general purpose rifle concept i think with not so much mag that it is unusable up close, but enough mag to make good hunting shots within 150 ish yards on deer / hog size targets in dense brush. My hesitation is 3x mag enough in the woods? i have hunted with 4x and i wish i had more mag mainly for looking at the critters not so much for taking a good shot. Binos solve that problem, but i am hoping someone on here has some experience as well.
  • stonehog
    Warrior
    • Oct 2021

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Buy Vortex Viper PST Gen II 2-10x32 EBR-4 MRAD Scope PST-2105 at Eurooptic. The Vortex Viper PST 2-10x32 takes incredible performance and rock solid features to new heights. Get free shipping on orders of every Vortex Viper PST Scope. Call 570-368-3920
      Last edited by VASCAR2; 01-09-2024, 05:10 PM.

Comment

• lazyengineer
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by worthen86ford View Post
        So i just received my rexus 14.5" barrel for a new build and would like a few opinions on optics and buffer weights. I like the Grendel cartridge and the AR15 as general purpose rifles using them for hunting deer and hogs in east Texas as well as home defense / boogaloo options.

I currently have 2 grendels built up, both with Alexander Arms 16" midlength barrels (their old SS straight fluted with the 9/16" threads) and standard carbine buffer springs. 1 uses a Spikes T2 buffer (4 oz) and the other uses the ADM HD Buffer (4.4 oz). when i put the first one together with a standard carbine buffer, the recoil impulse was too much and was causing a midwest friction type handguard to walk off the barrel nut when shot supported. heavier buffer seemed to correct that. My question is, does anyone have experience with the rexus 14.5 barrel and a recommended buffer / spring combo? I have a standard buffer and a springco red that i plan to test out when i get this thing together, but could pull a standard carbine spring from the other rifles to figure out the tuning as well. I am not really wanting to mess with Adjustable gas blocks. i have a .750" 3 prong flash hider that i think was a group buy item years ago i plan to pin and weld to 16".

As far as optics, my current rifles have a 1-8 trijicon accupower and a trijicon 1-4 ascent. the 1-8 is my primary rifle and the 1-4 sits on my "7yo daughters" rifle. This 14.5 will be my "5yo daughters" rifle. I like LPVOs for the versatility since these rifles do sit ready for social work. instead of setting this 14.5 up with another LPVO, i am considering focusing on weight savings with something like a PA 3x micro prism. Still fits the general purpose rifle concept i think with not so much mag that it is unusable up close, but enough mag to make good hunting shots within 150 ish yards on deer / hog size targets in dense brush. My hesitation is 3x mag enough in the woods? i have hunted with 4x and i wish i had more mag mainly for looking at the critters not so much for taking a good shot. Binos solve that problem, but i am hoping someone on here has some experience as well.
        I recently switched to an ACOG (4x fixed) on my 14.5, and really like it.
        4x P100

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• drewthebrave
            Warrior
            • Aug 2016

The simplicity of a Prism optic for a young kid makes a lot of sense!

If the max hunting distance is 150 yards, you might find the SWFA Ultralight 2.5-10x is great option at only 9.5 oz. It's only $350 with the Duplex reticle which is perfect for your kids' hunting needs with a ~100 yard zero.

I have been waffling between it and a Viper PST 1-6x on my 12" Grendel, and I find myself leaning towards the SWFA. I can add a backup RMR or Holosun red dot and still be less than half the weight of the Vortex...

Comment

• worthen86ford
              Warrior
              • May 2016

Originally posted by drewthebrave View Post
              The simplicity of a Prism optic for a young kid makes a lot of sense!

If the max hunting distance is 150 yards, you might find the SWFA Ultralight 2.5-10x is great option at only 9.5 oz. It's only $350 with the Duplex reticle which is perfect for your kids' hunting needs with a ~100 yard zero.

I have been waffling between it and a Viper PST 1-6x on my 12" Grendel, and I find myself leaning towards the SWFA. I can add a backup RMR or Holosun red dot and still be less than half the weight of the Vortex...

Comment

• Bonas
                Warrior
                • Mar 2022

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
                Buy Vortex Viper PST Gen II 2-10x32 EBR-4 MRAD Scope PST-2105 at Eurooptic. The Vortex Viper PST 2-10x32 takes incredible performance and rock solid features to new heights. Get free shipping on orders of every Vortex Viper PST Scope. Call 570-368-3920
                What kind of accuracy are you getting from the Rexus?

I'm kicking around building a 14.5" for hunting out of state. The current legal uncertainty with pistols has me a little worried about hunting with one.

Comment

Working...
                X