• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wyrd
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2024

Best buffer set up?

Hi guys,

for my first Grendel build I'm wondering about the best buffer set up. I've been reading quite a bit about buffers in here and it seems the opinions vary... some will absolutely only use a heavier H1 or H2 buffer, some a standard one. It also seems to depend on barrel length and suppressor use. I'll be using a 18" Faxon heavy fluted barrel with a mid length gas system and an adjustable gas block. The lower is a KE Arms KP15 that requires a carbine length buffer and spring. I am using the lower already with a .223 upper and would, though it won't happen very often, want to be able to switch between both. Currently there is a standard carbine spring and a standard 2.9oz buffer in there. I will run the Grendel exclusively suppressed (30cal can) hence the adjustable gas block. Now my question: is there anything to gain from using a heavier buffer or a jp silent capture spring with that set up? Or is that unnecessary with a properly gassed gun?

I appreciate all tips! Thanks!
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Wyrd
      Unwashed
      • Jan 2024

Thanks for your reply. I'm set on 18" because it's the shortest barrel length that can do 2000J at 100m, which is the legal requirement over here. 20" (and longer) gets annoyingly long with a suppressor in my opinion, especially in some of the hunting stands I use. Ever since it's been legal to use cans, I haven't looked back so I'm hoping to make it work in the Grendel. As I already own several 30 cal cans (and am using one on a 6.5 Creedmoor bolt gun), it makes sense to put one on the Grendel. So not flow-through per se but kinda.

The bootleg gas carrier is not an option here in Germany it seems, even Brownells doesn't carry one. A regular will have to do. The extra power action spring from Sprinco however I can get (the red one, right?). Would that make sense with my setup? Also considering I might switch uppers to a .223 at some point? Not that it would kill me to switch springs as well if necessary.

Comment

• Zeneffect
        Chieftain
        • May 2020

Originally posted by Wyrd View Post
        Thanks for your reply. I'm set on 18" because it's the shortest barrel length that can do 2000J at 100m, which is the legal requirement over here. 20" (and longer) gets annoyingly long with a suppressor in my opinion, especially in some of the hunting stands I use. Ever since it's been legal to use cans, I haven't looked back so I'm hoping to make it work in the Grendel. As I already own several 30 cal cans (and am using one on a 6.5 Creedmoor bolt gun), it makes sense to put one on the Grendel. So not flow-through per se but kinda.

The bootleg gas carrier is not an option here in Germany it seems, even Brownells doesn't carry one. A regular will have to do. The extra power action spring from Sprinco however I can get (the red one, right?). Would that make sense with my setup? Also considering I might switch uppers to a .223 at some point? Not that it would kill me to switch springs as well if necessary.
        what about sharps? they ripped off the rca gas key system like 1:1. might be able to find this part from a EU vendor somewhere (or something that is basically the exact same thing.)

The Sharps Adjustable Recoil Gas System (SAGRS) Retrofit Kit is Sharps' latest patented innovation that will revolutionize your AR15 and AR10 platforms. All you have to do is install the SAGRS adjustable gas key in place of your standard gas key, and your overgassing issues are over. With the s

just throwing it out there so you get some ideas as there are a few ways to choke the gas and they all pretty much work.

looked on brownells europe... found the RCA key

Last edited by Zeneffect; 01-11-2024, 09:00 PM.

Comment

• Wyrd
          Unwashed
          • Jan 2024

Not sagrs but Brownells has something made by rubber city armory. I'm wondering though, I have an adjustable gas block. Why would I need an adjustable gas key as well?
          Last edited by Wyrd; 01-11-2024, 09:04 PM.

Comment

• Zeneffect
            Chieftain
            • May 2020

no. if you have an adjustable block, you dont need anything else. just use the adjustable block and thats it.

Comment

• Wyrd
              Unwashed
              • Jan 2024

Ok so in your experience just the adj gas block will suffice, no point in playing with special buffer weight, spring, etc? Not looking for a race gun where every 1% increase in performance is worth plenty of money and hassle, just want a well tuned and softly recoiling gun for hunting.

Comment

• Zeneffect
                Chieftain
                • May 2020

I'm saying you don't need to compound the restriction in the gas system. Your adjustable gas block is sufficient for choking the gas.

I'm only referring to gas system and not buffer weight or spring

Comment

• Wyrd
                  Unwashed
                  • Jan 2024

Ok, I get that. For me the question remains whether there is any point in using a heavier buffer if an adjustable gas block is used. Another option would be a captured, tunable spring and buffer system. The JP SCS seems to be regarded sometimes as a very expensive gimmick, sometimes as a real game changer. Not sure what to make of that myself and hesitating to drop 200 Euros (that's what it costs over here) on one to try it out.

Comment

• Happy2Shoot
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2018

I have that same barrel; it is nice. I hope you like yours. I have an adjustable gas block on mine and I only shoot suppressed. I have two 30 cal suppressors Sandman-S and a Nomad TI. Shooting unsuppressed is for savages, and the Sandman on the end of an 18" rifle is a heavy beast!

I use an H3 buffer. It makes me happy. I personally don't care for extra power springs, because all that extra power slams your BCG back into the chamber and you have to compress a spring quite a bit before you get any resistance. Other people like to do it other ways. It's basically a form of religious warfare to have an online discussion about buffers and springs (lol).

We just did a buffer question. Check out my post here.

I picked up a couple flat wire buffer springs from Armaspec recently. When installing, I noticed the factory spring sat right against the head of the buffer, while the new springs sat "at the top of the body" and stopped where the body opens up a little before turning into the head of the buffer (I feel like this

Have you ever heard the phrase "only believe half of what you see and nothing you hear"? Well, I got that Lantac BCG for my 12.5" 5.56 pistol. Money down the drain! My previous setup was noticeably less gassy to my face. What was my original setup? Regular full auto BCG (all chrome) and a "HSS Tungsten Buffer - 6.5 ounces". People will say "Oh the recoil! All that weight bouncing around must beat your shoulder to death." Well, once again the proof is in the pudding. It works and there is so little recoil I can shoot follow up shots so fast I get accused of having a binary trigger when shooting drills at 25 yards.

Other benefits to a heavy buffer. You will never rip a rim off. If you reload your spent brass will be in better shape. When your rife gets completely gunked up from shooting suppressed, that extra mass will seat your next round every time.

Back to you. I would pick an H3 buffer.

Pro tip. Lube your BCG with "bar and chain oil" it stays around longer.
                    Last edited by Happy2Shoot; 01-13-2024, 12:59 PM.

Comment

• montana
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Happy2Shoot View Post

It's basically a form of religious warfare to have an online discussion about buffers and springs (lol).

Heathen

Comment

• Zeneffect
                        Chieftain
                        • May 2020

My experience with the silent capture spring

Worth it if you want to experiment. Weights and springs are easily changed out.

Is it really silent? Meh... sort of. I still hear a twang when the bolt locks after last round.

Comment

Working...
                        X