• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • duckindoc
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2024

Any lefty AR shooters on here?

"The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable..."
    -- H.L. Mencken
  • Klem
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

DID,

You don't need a dedicated left-handed AR - just a normal AR rigged for ambidextrous use.

The four parts needed are;
    1. Ambi charge handle.
    2. Ambi safety selector.
    3. Ambi slide locking lever (preferably an ambi lower)
    4. Ambi mag release.

The Raptor from Radianweapons is a reputable ambi charge handle.

Battle Arms Development make good quality safety selectors. Geiselle is another reputable ambi safety selector choice.

Ambi lower, for example from Zev (formerly Mega Arms). Or type in 'ambi lower' to Rainier Arms website. If you get a dedicated ambi lower the slide unlocking lever will be supplied.

Ambi mag release from Kights (KAS). Or Norgon if you want a slimmer profile. There are others.

Klem
    (I am left handed)

Comment

• tlen
      Bloodstained
      • Sep 2019

Why go for a left handed AR ? I shoot left handed and with a standard AR with the A2 nub and have had absolutely no problems. If I want to sell the rifle I will likewise not have a problem..

Comment

• 37L1
        Warrior
        • Jan 2015

I shoot left handed, but, like you, I'm right handed, left eye dominant.

Shooting an AR left handed is no issue if you get, like Klem suggested, the appropriate Ambi accessories, particularly the charging handle. You can live (and shoot well) without the rest.

I like the challenge to be able to use both right and left actions. I can swap to a buddies set up, shoot right handed, right eyed and do just about as well on the target. Just got to get used to the different coordination that's involved.

At least I'll never get bored, LOL.

Comment

• StoneHendge
          Chieftain
          • May 2016

I'm right handed and right eyed and have been "forced" to shoot my 6.5CM AR left eyed and left handed in "practical" matches I can understand the desire of the OP for a left handed AR. Hot brass flying in front of one's face is never fun.
          Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• 37L1
            Warrior
            • Jan 2015

Try it with a slick side. I used to hate M16's/AR's, lol.

Comment

• Klem
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
              I'm right handed and right eyed and have been "forced" to shoot my 6.5CM AR left eyed and left handed in "practical" matches I can understand the desire of the OP for a left handed AR. Hot brass flying in front of one's face is never fun.
              As a left hander I've never had an issue with ejected brass from an AR, ever. You just don't notice it, and the brass deflector is there to do its thing. What is an issue is suppressor spit in the face from the ejection port on some weapons like the H&K MP5 K with a suppressor (not the dedicated SD). You wear shooting glasses in CQB anyway and get used to the spit. However suppressed AR's are not really an issue, and it's easy to see what's going on with the chamber just by looking at the port without changing stance - something you can't do RHanded without tilting. With other guns, as a LHander you have to get used to coming over the top with the off-hand to operate charge handles, or swap to RH for things like a formal unload.

With bullpup rifles like the Steyr you need dedicated LH bolts.

Actually the AR is very forgiving for left handed shooting, either for Lefties or when doing bilateral CQB. With ambi controls, shooting a normal AR left-handed is no handicap at all.

Comment

• duckindoc
                Unwashed
                • Jan 2024

True to all above I agree.

I have shot RH shotguns only and still do. I got a fleck of powder in the eye from my old 1100 one time while hunting and that sealed the deal on shooting RH gas guns ever again hunting.
                All my bolt guns are lefty as well, just started that way.
                "The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable..."
                -- H.L. Mencken

Comment

Working...
                X