• 603Country
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2023

Maybe want a new barrel

• grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

A very common dilemma.
    Some of it depends on what bullets/weights you shoot and performance you need.

I would say fluted, and 18" minimum... me personally, I haven't gotten the MV out of 16" that I'm comfortable with, hunting wise. At my age I don't do a lot of "walking/stalking" so I can take one a bit longer to get performance.

For middle of the road barrels, ballistic advantage, faxon, BFT's monster barrels (don't know if he has fluted).
    If your budget can handle it go to the lilja website and see what they have in stock -- can't do much better.
    These are all I use or have used, so I can recommend them.

Now if you have some 129 Ablr's (for shooting yds and stopping power down to 1300 ft/sec) then a 16" is plenty of length, I'm using them however in longer tubes. Of the 100's (again, for speed), the ttsx in a 16" will only give you ~2600 ft/sec so effective distance is minimum. And not too many other 100's out there. 123's in a 16", give you about 2415 +/-, so you can decide if that's enough for you. 18" will give you about 60 more ft/sec.

the 129 Ablr, 16" 2325, 18" 2400, so ranges (to 1000 ke), for 16" range ~300 yds, for 18" range, 350 yds.
    Some guys are using this bullet with a 12/12.5" so there's a lighter package, if you want to go there (200, maybe 225 yds).

123's, even down to 12.5" can get you out to 200 yds give or take.

There are definitely some options...
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Wyrd
      Unwashed
      • Jan 2024

I have chosen the Faxon heavy fluted 18" barrel with the same goal in mind. Good accuracy and velocity but not too heavy. I don't have the barrel yet so can't say if it turns out like I want but in any case that was my thought process.

Comment

• Old Bob
        Warrior
        • Oct 2019

I see you've chosen a Faxon's 18" barrel for your new 6.5 Grendel AR. Just curious, is the Wilson Combat 18" Fluted barrel above your price range? It would have been my first choice for such a build.

Experience the precision of Wilson Combat's Recon Tactical stainless barrel. This 18" barrel is designed for the 6.5 Grendel, providing best-in-class long range ballistics and accuracy unmatched by competitive calibers. 
        I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• biodsl
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Old Bob View Post
          I see you've chosen a Faxon's 18" barrel for your new 6.5 Grendel AR. Just curious, is the Wilson Combat 18" Fluted barrel above your price range? It would have been my first choice for such a build.

https://wilsoncombat.com/barrel-6-5-...-bead-1-8.html
          That is nice and priced well. Specs say it's a little heavier than the Faxon, but it's got a rifle length gas system.
          Last edited by biodsl; 01-20-2024, 01:34 PM.
          Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• 603Country
            Bloodstained
            • Mar 2023

Comment

• Wyrd
              Unwashed
              • Jan 2024

Originally posted by Old Bob View Post

https://wilsoncombat.com/barrel-6-5-...-bead-1-8.html
              That barrel isn't available in Germany, Faxon, BA and Brownells barrel (don't know who makes those) are all you can choose from unless you go >1000 Euros, then there's proof research, BSF or a custom barrel from Lothar Walther.

Btw, the Faxon is 600 Euros over here.

Comment

• ocharry
                Bloodstained
                • Mar 2022

i have a B Kings barrel on my grendel...18" rifle gas meadium heavy profile...this vet owned place has these barrels made for them to thier spec...out on a limb here but i am pretty sure they are Ballistic Advantage made barrels.....you should check them out

i have 4 different bullet work ups for this rifle...95gr hornady 105gr sierra 120gr sierra pro hunter 129gr hornady....think the 95 is with H335...the 105 and 120 is with AR-Comp and the 129 is with varget.....i do have some of the 120 sierra tipped (game changer) bullets to try but the cold around here has been brutal and deer season got in the way..lol

my point here is that this barrel has worked up all of these loads to right at 3/4" exept the 105 and it is around 3/8-1/2...i shot a group at 200 with that load and it measured right at 1 1/4....and i can tell ya it is a coyote killer

it might be a little heavier than you want but i am convinced they are making or having made good barrels

i just built a 556 for my daughter in law with one of the B King barrels and it looks like it is gona be a good shooter too

also there is the https://www.opticsplanet.com/larue-t...ed-barrel.html. ...but it is around 46oz and a 1-7 twist...so there is that

lol...but that wilson barrel looks good too...not sure but i think they make thier own barrels...you should check that ...but i think i saw a video on that a while back

so many choices...lol...guess it just comes down to what you want and what you want to spend

anyway...good luck with your choice

my .02

ocharry

Comment

• 603Country
                  Bloodstained
                  • Mar 2023

Last edited by 603Country; 01-20-2024, 06:17 PM.

Comment

• muvef
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2017

I would suggest a Black Hole Weaponry slim profile barrel, but they are a 12 - 24 week lead time. I have a 6mm LBC and it really shoots well.

UDDmP6v1.jpg

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Koda
                        Bloodstained
                        • Jun 2023

The lightest barrel is going to be pencil thin. Flutes don't really remove that much weight on a heavy barrel, but it can help a little on medium weight barrels which might be a good compromise.
                        What I would also consider is barrel temperature, thin barrels heat up the fastest affecting POI, in my experience at little as 3 shots (but that was with a hotter caliber)
                        Keep in mind flutes have a "net neutral" effect on barrel cooling, as the more material removed from a barrel the faster it heats up. IMO how fast a barrel heats up is more important than cooling since firing the gun is the critical moment of need. So then obviously with light thin barrels is they will heat up the fastest affecting POI sooner. This should be considered in a semi auto, especially if multiple shots are common like a group of hogs. On a positive note, pencil thin barrels cool down the fastest. Of course the accuracy (actually its precision) of a barrel is how the bore is made not the profile, but I'm uncertain how having a gas block attached affects barrel harmonics on thin barrels. Something to consider though and maybe someone can chime in on that.

Comment

• 603Country
                          Bloodstained
                          • Mar 2023

Comment

• montana
                            Chieftain
                            • Jun 2011

I have seen poorly made chambers in many rifle barrels including some of the ones mentioned here..
                            I have never seen a poorly made barrel from JP and they head space their excellent bolts to their barrels..https://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPSM6.5G-18L8R7

Comment

Working...
                            X