How to make a grendel quieter...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make a grendel quieter...

I have a 16" gun with a home made brake. Works well, but it is freaking loud. Couldnt hear out of my left ear for about 3 days after shooting this:

I cannot hunt with a suppressor in my state (nor do i want the hassle of trying to own one). However i do want to be able to shoot the gun in hunting situations with out the use of ear plugs. I am thinking of making another "brake" but simply making it more like a cone to reflect the noise forward with out any baffle (yes, i know it wont be effective as a brake, but i just need to keep my hearing) Has anyone seen or tried such a thing?

If you are going to forgo a brake, just get a Thread protector.

I made the WCI to not be as loud as the others on the market, you still have a pressure wave but the intersecting holes helps to reduce the effect.

As soon as you start making a cone it could be construed as PART of a suppressor, not saying this is the case but be careful of what you do.

The piggy brake is supposed to be like what you described but that nearly ran afoul of BATFE.

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

Nice.

For a brake to work, it must direct the pressure wave at an angle against the force exiting the muzzle. The greater that angle, the more effective it is as a brake. Thus the big tank brakes which have very acute backwards angles and are so obnoxious.

The most tolerable and effective brakes I have seen are Warped's, here on the forum. They direct the force around the entire brake.

Comment

• Drifter
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

I suggest either flash hiders (where legal) or thread protectors for hunting applications. SEI Vortex and A2 birdcage are tolerable regarding noise for a shot or two.
        Drifter

Comment

Howard Leight amplified earmuffs. You hear sounds really great and they have a 22db sound reduction. You can also plug your iPod into it. It's what I shoot and hunt with.
          I also have a WCI brake. But still gotta save what hearing I have left.
          You really don't appreciate your hearing until you start losing it. I know you said you did not want to wear earplugs, but may want to consider this alternative.
          Last edited by Guest; 04-06-2011, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Amen on the hearing loss!!!

Pardon me while I go answer the ringing in my ears...

Comment

I know several people using these, I would like a pair for myself.

Comment

• gophernuts

Yeah. Those pig breaks work well for SBR set-ups. And by work well, I mean you probably won't notice a difference, but your buddies will. I have to agree with Howard Leights, that's what I use. They actually amplify your hearing, keep your ears warm, and save your hearing. Stylish to boot. The music thing is pretty cool too. Best $50 I've spent in a long time. I should've bought some when I was overseas.

Comment

• Timmy Toughnutz

hey speeder.... my only point on this subject other than personal opinion is this, from your post it sounds as tho this is a primary hunting rifle. Because of this, throwing on a cone to funnel noise, gas etc forward, you are running the chance of obstructing your field of veiw after firing if shooting from most positions, esp prone. That thing is likely to kick up a lot of debris. I was at a firing range with someone who had one on his 5.56, firing standing unsupported, he was close to 6 ft tall and it was still kicking up dust. I would think that if shooting thru light veg or from a position closer to the ground that it has the possibility of limiting you to one shot, possibly obstructing a secondary round due to losing sight of prey. Just a thought maybe might help in a decision, I use hearing protection when i hunt, i use the Surefire earplugs, i might not be able to hear every scraping noise but they also have caps to open channels, maybe you could look into those.

Comment

I got a thread protector from Warped a couple of years back for my deer rig - definately the way to go

Comment

amplified muffs are a option, but i really dont like wearing them ALL day. IMO, it takes away from the experience i want in the woods, which is sitting out in nature on the side of a tree!

To shoot the above buck, I sat for 12 hours in the wind and cold. It came out at the end of the day, i was literally counting down the minutes to season close cause i was so cold. The deer came out to my left and i would have never heard it with plugs in and i probably would not have seen it had i not heard it.

Agreed on a thread protector but i would like to make it a bit quieter. I am thinking at least at extended protector that sticks a couple of inches beyond the muzzle might help somewhat. I was just curious if anyone had some ideas or tried something similar.

Comment

• philmurphy

Originally posted by speederx7 View Post
                        amplified muffs are a option, but i really dont like wearing them ALL day. IMO, it takes away from the experience i want in the woods, which is sitting out in nature on the side of a tree!

To shoot the above buck, I sat for 12 hours in the wind and cold. It came out at the end of the day, i was literally counting down the minutes to season close cause i was so cold. The deer came out to my left and i would have never heard it with plugs in and i probably would not have seen it had i not heard it.

Agreed on a thread protector but i would like to make it a bit quieter. I am thinking at least at extended protector that sticks a couple of inches beyond the muzzle might help somewhat. I was just curious if anyone had some ideas or tried something similar.
                        How about a longer barrel. I recommend a 20" or better yet a 22".

Phil

Comment

Originally posted by speederx7 View Post
                          Just offering advice. If you don't protect your hearing now, you won't have it to hear nature tomorrow. But to each his own.

Comment

Huh, did you say something????

Speak up dammit

Comment

• Texas Grendel-ier

RStewart is right.They are comfortable and you can amp the volume and hear nature even better.even the nature you are hunting.They automatically "squelch " the gunshot

Comment

Working...
                              X