Help me choose a compensator for my Grendel....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me choose a compensator for my Grendel....

I want one that helps control muzzle jump, but i DO NOT want to be absoultely deaf after i shoot...Mind you, My primary purpose for this caliber is a hunting rifle...And when a whitetail crosses a clearing at 250 yds you usually don't have time to put on ear muffs....
  • ChellieWiles

I recommend JP's tactical compensator

I put one on my 22" Gren a couple months ago and you will stay on target after the shot. Once you get on bullseye with this comp and pull the trigger, the only thing that happens is a circular vibration with no muzzle rise at all. The crosshairs just vibrate around the bullseye and then settle right back onto where you were at before the trig was pulled.
    It's not overly loud either like some of my phantom comps on the 5.56's.

Comment

I watched a you tube video about that one...one guy said exactley what you said, but he also said it was absoultely painful to the ears...it was a 5.56 thought...

Comment

• ChellieWiles

every gun with a compensator is going to be "painful" to the ears, it's just at what intensity it is that you're going to have to deal with. It's not as bad as some of the others that are out there and on a scale from 1-10 with compensators, I would put my phantom at a 9 and the JP at about a 6. You're not going to get away from the noise, it's just how much can you handle. My ears are fairly sensitive and I can hunt with this compensator every day without fear that my eardrums will be damaged if that helps. Can't say the same for the phantom.

Comment

I have one of the Large Tactical JP's for a .223, one of the AA Millennium breaks for my Grendel and an APS Painkiller for a 338LM. the JP has the least amount of muzzle blast that comes back at you after the round is fired and does a very good job controlling muzzle jump. The "intensity" as Chellie describes is not as bad either. The AA break is very effective. It is on a 24" LW heavy barrel so I don't get much muzzle jump. There are no ports in the top of that break to help control muzzle jump as there is not any room for them.

One thing I must say that I do like about the AA and the Painkiller breaks is that they will keep the benches on either side of you clear if shooting at a range due to the deflection angle built into the breaks. You may want to take a look at the APA Fatbastard breaks. Heard good things about them but they will have the same issue as above with muzzle blast.

Comment

• COTNTOP
            Warrior
            • Mar 2011

I have the WCI on my Grendel and do not notice any recoil, wear earmuffs so the blast does not bother me. I have an OBR with brake that gives a nosebleed, the WCI is not nearly as loud. Saw a brake advertised with holes coming out the front, supposed to be quiet, do not recall where.

Comment

• Drifter
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

I've tried numerous brakes and comps. Some are louder than others, but everything I've tried is too loud for hunting in the absence of hearing protection. And most will b!tchslap you in the face with blast at the bench where as hearing protection is irrelevant, and a flinch can develop despite the Grendel's mild recoil.

Do yourself a favor and stick to flash hiders or thread protectors if the rifle's primary purpose is hunting.
              Drifter

Comment

i've got two of these on grendels and really do like them. WCI brake, though effective, is very loud.

Last edited by Guest; 06-27-2012, 09:02 PM.

Comment

• ChellieWiles

Originally posted by COTNTOP View Post
                  I have the WCI on my Grendel and do not notice any recoil, wear earmuffs so the blast does not bother me. I have an OBR with brake that gives a nosebleed, the WCI is not nearly as loud. Saw a brake advertised with holes coming out the front, supposed to be quiet, do not recall where.
                  I think that's the VAIS brake you're thinking of
                  Home of the Beast series brakes. We produce some of the most effective muzzle brakes on the market.

Comment

• Drifter
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by COTNTOP View Post
                    Saw a brake advertised with holes coming out the front, supposed to be quiet, do not recall where.
                    BRT offers a Covert Comp:

And Troy offers the Claymore Brake:

But neither is currently produced to fit typical 9/16-24 Grendel muzzle threads.
                    Drifter

Comment

• Buster
                      Warrior
                      • Mar 2012

My 24" Overwatch came with the old style AA comp:

I can see the point-of-impact through the scope with this comp.

I am diggin' the new style AA comp,,,but no experience with it:

I'm running a SJC COMP on my AR-10 (.308) that has calmed that beast:

I'm sure they can cut one with the correct threads for your Grendel application

Comment

1. Buy QD suppressor brake
                        2. Buy suppressor
                        3. Profit

Comment

• Variable
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

A suppressor would fulfill both criteria well. You'd kill the noise and reduce jump all in one whack. The only drawback would be length, since you are already sporting a 24" tube.

Since you are from WV (I think I got that right- you do live in WV as well as working in Bridgeport?)....

It is legal to hunt with a suppressor here.

Something like this can would cover you both while hunting and at the range...
                          Last edited by Variable; 06-28-2012, 09:29 AM.
                          Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                          We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

For hunting, I totally understand the desire to have the benefit of a brake, without the defeaning effects of any gilled or large side ported brake.

A lot of people are really liking the BattleComp for this, but I have yet to play with one.

Suppressors aren't legal to hunt with in most States, and add significant muzzle weight for a carry/stalk gun.

The comp with the ports in the front is called the Levang Linear Compensator, and I'm not sure it really helps with muzzle climb that much.

There is also the Spike's Tactical Dynacomp, and a laundry list of new muzzle devices being made every 6 months, adding to the selection.
                            Last edited by Guest; 06-28-2012, 09:28 AM.

Comment

• Dogue
                              Warrior
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by ChellieWiles View Post
                              I think that's the VAIS brake you're thinking of
                              http://www.muzzlebrakes.com/
                              Interesting! Anyone running the VAIS on a Grendel?
                              Μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Working...
                              X