Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shennanigans

Barrel prices and quality questions

So I'm seeing JP barrels near $900 and AA barrels for under $200. Then there is the in between like Satern for $550 or thereabouts. I know that AA barrel doesn't come with a bolt, but even at an additional cost, its still well under #300. I'm looking for the most quality for the money. Satern is pretty pricey for my budget but not undoable. I'll be shooting mostly ~ 300 yards, but I'd like to reach well fast if I so desire. I'm having a hard time making heads of all the options and a little guidance would be appreciated. The above mentioned brands are by no means my exclusive options. I am open to any and all suggestions.

Well i didnt realize JP was charging 799 for a barrel thats just ridiculous especially for a button rifled barrel. Im sure JP makes good stuff but theres no way i would pay that for a button barrel. For that price it better be a cut rifled barrel. Just saying. Some other options that you listed other than JP or Satern are Black Hole Weaponry, Loki weapon systems- i think they are using alexander arms barrels but dont quote me on that. He frequents this forum quite a bit so he could answer. Templar makes barrels ive heard good things about his barrels. You also have Lothar Walther. If you going to skimp anywhere though the barrel is not the place to do it. Buy a good one 1 time and the first time youll be glad you did. Im sure the others will chime in with some other manufacturers.

Keith

Comment

I have heard some very good reports from a local gun shop I frequent, about Templar and Loki parts. Templar may be on the pricier side of the scale. LRRPF52 recommends them often, and I'm strongly thinking about building me a 16" blaster for my 100g A-max loads with a Templar barrel.

Comment

My Loki is beautiful...it's a 264lbc chamber and 18" SS Liberty barrel. Last I heard Liberty and Satern aren't working together anymore with Alexander Arms but my barrel is marked 264LBC so no problems there and Loki's reputation for turning out extremely accurate rifles is growing. Being fairly new to the market they don't have a lot of reviews out there but the one's they do have are very good. Plus the service is fantastic...I dealt directly with the owner when ordering my custom upper. He was awesome to work with. I also have an Alexander Arms Beowulf so I'm a big fan of AA also...I'll probably be ordering an AA lower to match the Beowulf upper...giant kudos to Bill Alexander for inventing such awesome guns!

Whichever way you go it should be a great rifle.
        Last edited by Guest; 07-03-2012, 06:09 PM.

Comment

• PumpActionJackson

I can not suggest Templar enough. give them a call, my 24 inch cut rifled tube ran 575 shipped.

Comment

• bwaites
            • Mar 2011

Actually, Satern has announced that they will be making Grendel chambered barrels again. The move is definitely towards the SAAMI approved chamber, with a few companies that will probably make both.

Comment

• Drifter
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

You might base your decision on how much you plan to shoot. If just a couple of hundred rounds per year, a reasonably-priced button-rifled barrel would probably serve you well. If 200+ rounds per month is expected, you might still get a good value (due to potentially longer life) by purchasing a more expensive cut-rifled barrel, and perhaps increasing the odds of getting a very accurate tube.
              Drifter

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                Chieftain
                • May 2012

the satern barrels are 443 for the non fluted barrels and the come with a bolt for that price and you get a made to order match barrel
                Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

My AR Performance barrel was right under $300 with bolt. Quality was good, I'll be shooting it this weekend for the first time.

Comment

• Rockdriller

You can also get a Shilen upgraded barrel through Alexander Arms.

Comment

I have two Loki rifles already and while neither is a Grendel yet, they are exceedingly accurate. I am just learning to shoot longer distances with accuracy but as long as I do a little those Loki weapons will completely outshoot my abilities.

Comment

• hill.brandonj

how about .double star seems that is what came in mine the local shop made me

Comment

Working...
                        X