Introducing 50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introducing 50

I would like to introduce you to "50." I ordered my first AR in 6.5 Grendel. The upper was made by Mark at Precision Firearms. I can't tell you how pleased I am with the end product.

I wanted a hunting rifle but still could take to my range and shoot out to 600 yards. So I was looking for light weight and accurate.

Here are the details:

20" HBAR Lilja Barrel with target Crown
    Low profile block
    Lancer Carbon Fiber 15"
    VLTOR upper receiver
    VLTOR Charging Handle - MOD3
    PF National Match carrier group with phosphate bolt
    Stock LMT lower but replaced stock trigger for a 3lb Timney
    Scope is a 6X18 Leupold Mark AR with mil-dot reticle
    Scope Mount is a Leupold

All in weight, with scope, is 8.2lbs. I was real pleased with this.

I hope to take her out to the range this weekend.

Me and the moderator, if I read the threads right, share both the same birth month and year. So 50 is my birthday gift "from me to me!"

Take care,

Bert
    Attached Files

All that and only 8lbs, sweet.

Comment

• Buster
      Warrior
      • Mar 2012

That's a NICE black rifle!

Comment

Very sweet, and another great weigh-in point for a multi-role fire stick. Looking forward to the groups you get at 100, then 200, 300, and 600yds. What bullets do you plan on starting with?

Comment

I plan on using the 108 Scenar's for the range work. Right now I have the 100gr and 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tips to try and work up a load for hunting. Barrel is 1:8 twist. Other components are:

Lapua brass
          CCI450s
          XBR 8208 and CFE 223

Comment

I would only use the 100gr NBT's for varmint and HD. The 120gr NBT will be the better bet for deer, as it doesn't come apart at Grendel velocities, and retains weight well. A lot of guys prefer the Barnes 100gr TTSX over the 120gr NBT. Some prefer the 120gr NBT over the Barnes. You're looking at 400yd effective range with expansion thresholds from a 20" pipe and 2700fps MV for the 100gr pills.

Some thread discussions on this:

Would any one have loading data with AA2520,IMR 8208, or BL-C 2 powders for the Barnes 100gr TTSX bullet.I do not need any other powder loading data for other powders than the three powders listed above. I have a 24" AA Overwatch I use for deer hunting. Because the 120gr TTSX is so long I only wanted to try the 100gr TTSX

I am planning on loading Barnes TSX or TTSX for deer this season and would be interested in opinions on these bullets. Have been using 120 TSX and was wondering if 120 TTSX or even the lighter 100 grain TTSX bullet would be better choices for deer at 100-300 yards (usually shoot from a stand across large clear cuts).

Last edited by Guest; 07-27-2012, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Great looking Stick get us some range reports.

Comment

Thanks LRRPF52! The links and video help a lot.

I have always been a fan of the Barnes but concerned about their expansion and Grendel velocities.

I take it you are fine with the 108s for range work out to 600 yards? I thought any further than that I would go to the 123 AMAX.

Thanks,

Comment

LRRPF52:

I reviewed the information you posted and have ordered two boxes of the 100gr TTSXs.

Thanks again!

Comment

The 108's make great 600yd pills, and you should be able to get them going at decent speeds. I've pushed the 100gr NBT over 2700fps from my 16", but I'm over max loads with that. Jacket construction on the Scenar is different than the Nosler for sure, as is bearing surface.

Comment

That rifle is close to the specs I have for the rifle Mark at Precision Firearms is building for me. How long did it take you to get your rifle? I put my order in January and am still waiting.

Comment

• bwaites
                        • Mar 2011

bsears, have you talked with Mark? I'm pretty sure he's not 8 months behind! Unless you have some special pieces that are unobtanium!

Comment

Yes I have been in contact with him. It seems they are extremely busy, since just recently their phone goes to voicemail and requests that e-mails be sent instead. Everything on the web points to Precision Firearms as being a top notch company, but it seems that I am on a long list of sorts. I am not upset (just wondering where the rifle is). lol!

Comment

Last week i left a message and he actually called me back. as i understand, the lilja Barrels are out of stock on back order.

i went with his neptune V . we will see when it arrives... he said they only had a few barrels of the 20 and 24" that were used in the model i wanted remaining before they were out.... and who knows when the supply will replenish.

Good Luck

Comment

bsears, its not just PF. Im about 10 weeks past due on my barrel and bolt, but Im not sweating too bad yet. My barrel is cut waiting on a bolt as we speak. Just hang in there, its industry wide. I guess all manufacturers of outsourced parts have probably turned focus to 5.56 to keep up with the demand. Just my guess.

Comment

Working...
                              X