• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • outlaw45
    Warrior
    • Sep 2012

Flash hider/brake

I'm planning to build a Grendel upper with a 20" barrel. I can't decide on what kind of flash hider? What's out there, what's the best, or what's everyone using?

It's going to be for hunting so I don't think I want a muzzle brake because it would increase the muzzle blast. I won't be using ear protection while hunting.
  • Drifter
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Don't know your muzzle thread size, but...

SEI Vortex is among the best, and does not negatively affect accuracy. It goes on hand-tight, and the angled flutes keep it there when the weapon is fired. It also removes easily for access to muzzle if desired.

As for flash reduction, AAC Blackout is also very good. YHM Phantom is another good one, but the 308 version (5/8" x 24 threads) is relatively big in size.

All that being said, the A2 birdcage performs well, especially considering the relatively low cost.

All mentioned above do not seem to increase noise or blast compared to a plain muzzle.
    Drifter

Comment

• ericv
      Warrior
      • Oct 2011

I opted to not put a muzzle brake and the noise is far less than my 223 with one. I plan to hunt with it so I didn't want that extra noise.
      Rock Hollow Tactical Carbon Fiber Free Float Hand Guards
      www.rockhollowtactical.com

Comment

• outlaw45
        Warrior
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by ericv View Post
        I opted to not put a muzzle brake and the noise is far less than my 223 with one. I plan to hunt with it so I didn't want that extra noise.
        Did you just put on a flash hider or is it just a finished end?

Comment

• outlaw45
          Warrior
          • Sep 2012

Are flash hiders and muzzle brakes caliber specific?

Comment

• ericv
            Warrior
            • Oct 2011

Some muzzle brakes are. You just need to get one for this caliber or higher. Flash hiders are wide open on the end, usually. You could get one for a 223 and the 264 would make a mess of your day.

I cut my threads off and reckoned the barrel. When I took it to the range she was shooting great. This was the first times hacked off a barrel butit worked great.
            Rock Hollow Tactical Carbon Fiber Free Float Hand Guards
            www.rockhollowtactical.com

Comment

• Drifter
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by outlaw45 View Post
              Are flash hiders and muzzle brakes caliber specific?
              In some cases, yes. But in many cases, you can select flash hiders based on your muzzle thread size and be safe (assuming larger than 1/2" x 28 threads), but check to make sure before buying a particular model.

Most Grendel barrels come with 9/16" x 24 RH threads, and most flash hiders that fit will accommodate 6.5 caliber. Variants might be threaded differently.

First thing you need to do is find out your muzzle thread size, then go from there.
              Drifter

Comment

I've got the BWA Muzzle Brake, it does a good job on recoil and looks great but when hunting I pull it and use just a thread protector.

Comment

• outlaw45
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2012

What are your specific flash hiders or brakes that you use? I need suggestions. And tell me the thread size too.

Comment

• Drifter
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

What are your specific flash hiders or brakes that you use? I need suggestions. And tell me the thread size too.
                    The only thread size that matters is what's on your barrel. Most flash hiders are available in various thread sizes.

All four specific models that I mentioned in my first post of this thread are produced for different calibers and muzzle thread sizes.

Again, the most important factor is the size of the threads on your own barrel. (The size is likely either 9/16x24 RH or 5/8x24 RH, but you will need to verify to get a device that will screw on appropriately.)

If you don't know your muzzle thread size, share your barrel manufacturer and specify your chamber, and we can likely make an educated guess.

If your barrel hasn't been produced yet, and you have the option of specifying your preferred muzzle thread size, 5/8x24 would give you the most options.
                    Drifter

Comment

Originally posted by Whelenon View Post
                      I've got the BWA Muzzle Brake, it does a good job on recoil and looks great but when hunting I pull it and use just a thread protector.
                      http://www.blackweaponsarmory.com/ar...24-thread.html
                      I have a brake that is NOT identical but VERY SIMILAR to the BWA Brake on one of my Grendels, I would NOT recommend it. While it works it is very unpleasant for everyone near you. The backwards facing "gills" in that brake will blow everything off the shooting bench next to you; if shooting from the ground it will kick up dirt into the faces of people on both sides of you.

Just my opinion, based on my experiences with a gill type brake.

Comment

• outlaw45
                        Warrior
                        • Sep 2012

I'm planning on ordering a Satern. They offer 5/8-24 or 9/16-24. Just haven't decided on which one to go with. It sounds like 9/16-24 is the most common.

Comment

• outlaw45
                          Warrior
                          • Sep 2012

Ok I'm thinking of the AAC Blackout flash hider. 9/16-24 threads. Iowa doesn't allow suppressors but maybe someday.

Comment

• Drifter
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

I'm planning on ordering a Satern. They offer 5/8-24 or 9/16-24. Just haven't decided on which one to go with. It sounds like 9/16-24 is the most common.
                            My guess is that 9/16x24 is what was specified by Alexander Arms, and when there were licensing requirements, true Grendel-chambered barrels were probably required to have that size if the muzzle was threaded. Now that the cartridge is SAAMI-approved and licensing requirements have been lifted by AA, I think you'll start seeing more Grendel barrels threaded 5/8x24, as this is a more popular size and there are more choices available.
                            Drifter

Comment

• BjornF16
                              Chieftain
                              • Jun 2011

I would choose 5/8"...I currently have a 9/16" and I'm having difficulty finding a YHM 9/16 flash hider/brake mount for my suppressor. Their standard is 5/8"
                              LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
                              Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

Working...
                              X