• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richj
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2014

Moded the Ares

Had a friend add a knob to the Ares bolt carrier.

LAR Griz sidecock upper, Mlok

• LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

These look great with wood furniture too. How is the cheek weld and eye position relative to the scope for you?
    Last edited by LRRPF52; 03-10-2024, 01:01 AM.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Looks cool.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• richj
        Bloodstained
        • Sep 2014

wow, very nice. I like the wood. Scope needed to be on a riser, with the monte stock it is fine.
        Last edited by richj; 03-10-2024, 02:09 PM.

Comment

• Konocti's Wigwam
          Warrior
          • Sep 2023

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
          These look great with wood furniture too. How is the cheek weld and eye position relative to the scope for you?
          That's an awesome looking stock, those Ares stocks were one of the first featureless stocks available. I don't know I've ever seen one in wood. Did they sell that? Beautiful rifle! That handguard reminds me of an AK.
          From my cold dead endmill...

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

I don’t know where they got that furniture but it looks very slick.

You could Cerakote a case-hardened look on the aluminum with those new blends they have and it would be a Fudd sleeper carbine.

You could machine an upper that looked like a Remington Model 8 and really have an early 1900s-looking hunting carbine.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Konocti's Wigwam
              Warrior
              • Sep 2023

I don’t know where they got that furniture but it looks very slick.

You could Cerakote a case-hardened look on the aluminum with those new blends they have and it would be a Fudd sleeper carbine.

You could machine an upper that looked like a Remington Model 8 and really have an early 1900s-looking hunting carbine.
              I plan to build my own bolts, and I currently have 4 blanks and 3 bolts. It has been my intention to build a 6.5 Creedmoor for better worse, I have most of the parts and tools needed for that.

I also have a 375 CheyTac blank and bolt. This is way more than anymore needs, but Lake County, where I plan to retire holds ELR in Upper Lake, not too far from my property. The ELR events in Lake County start at 2000 yards. If more than one hits the target at 2000, it moves out to 3000. This is some serious distance, over 1.5 miles. 1800 yards is 1.02 miles.

I plan to build the stock for the 375 CheyTac, it will be a tactical blank (rectangular blank).

All of my blanks are 2 lug, and my bolts came from PTG. The 375 CheyTac blank and bolt were bought from a friend who had the blank raceways were EDM'd, so they're clean.

RE: 6.5 Creedmoor, that bolt has a .484" bolt face and can transform into an 308 win (I have a Rem 700 takeoff barrel), 6.5 CM, or 8.6 blackout. And my 3rd bolt is the same size, so I could also run magnum with .550" bolt face. Ultimately, I want a separate rifle, so this would be good for 6.5 PRC.

I haven't decided on the 4th blank yet, and don't have a bolt yet, but that one is being heavily considered for 6.5 Grendel. This would make a super light hunting rifle. Kind of odd choice, being between 7mm PRC and 6.5 Grendel and the 6.5 Grendel would be better suited for tube receiver as it's 2" shorter than a short action and the diameter is smaller, so that saves a lot of weight.

Bringing this back to Ares Armory, Dimitri was both good and bad for the industry. I didn't like how they abused the system by using CNCs for people to mill lowers. The GCA68 makes it clear that unlicensed individuals have the right to manufacture firearms for personal use. Nothing says I need a serial number, nothing says I need to register into any type of database, etc...but I do have to contend with current law in California, but I'm keeping an eye on that in case it changes! Lots of law being overturned in California as I type...take that Newscum (to quote Trump), or Captain Hairdo as I like to refer to him as...his days are numbered...

From my cold dead endmill...

Comment

• Old Bob
                Warrior
                • Oct 2019

Chambered in 350 or 400 Legend, that would be really cool! With a 16" or 18" barrel you'd have a humdinger of a brush gun.
                I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

Working...
                X