• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cb4017
    Warrior
    • Dec 2016

Got me a Lilja barrel

I have a nice shooting Rexus barrel but have always kinda wanted a Lilja barrel. Recently, one came up on another forum. It appeared to be just what I wanted, the AR740 profile. Previous owner said he only put 12 rounds through it and never got into it. So, we made a deal and now I have it. I was a little surprised to see a 3-groove bore. I stuck it in a spare Aero Enhanced receiver I had and got to shoot it yesterday.

The first five rounds through it were Hornady Black ELD Match. I knew it was going to be a shooter. The group was 0.919 MOA. I settled myself down and shot 5 rounds of Hornady Black into 0.647 MOA. Next best group was some handloads of Hornady 123 grain AMAX bullets I had laying around with 29.7 gr of StaBall Match into 0.770 MOA. It's too bad AMAX bullets are discontinued.

It was literally shooting almost anything MOA as long as I put some effort into it. I'll take it. This is about as well as I can drive an AR pattern rifle now days.

There were no issues. Functioning was perfect. Brass all looked great.

I did have one surprise. While out there, I installed a muzzle brake to try out. POI dropped 5" low and the group opened up. Took it right back off and it went back to shooting great.

I have no need for two 20" Grendels so I suspect I'll be selling the Rexus barrel eventually. Here are some mandatory pics.

Attached Files
    Cliff
    USN Ret., FPD Ret.

Nobody is coming. It's up to you.
  • Okie_Poke
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2023

Nice rifle and nice shooting!

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

This is basically my same experience with them, and I have at least 3 off the top of my head, 22”, 17.6”, and 16”.

I’ve put a ton of rounds through the 17.6” Lilja since 2014 and it just shoots no matter what.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
      X