My Mini 30 Is Now A Mini Grendel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent slay station. Nice that you recovered the 123gr A-MAX-pretty dang good for a target bullet, and many shooters have had excellent results with it since it was introduced.

Your rifle looks sweet, very traditional-looking, but packs more energy than both the 7.62x39 and .223 Rem at 260yds.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-04-2013, 04:00 AM.

Comment

• montana
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2011

Great hunting experience and pictures. I am also impressed with the Amax holding together so well. I haven't had as good of results with deer. I have had good luck with the barnes bullet and I am going to try the SST bullet this hunting season. I liked the Blue Lacey hunting partner you have. I have never heard of this breed before. Thank's for sharing.

Comment

• Birdog
        Bloodstained
        • Mar 2013

From Wikipedia:

The Lacy dog was named after the Lacy brothers—Frank, George, Ewin, and Harry Lacy—who in 1858 moved from Kentucky to Texas and settled in Burnet County, Texas.[2] The dog, according to the Lacy family, was a mixture of English Shepherd (or perhaps coyote), greyhound, and wolf.[10] Texas House Concurrent Resolution No. 108 also mentions scenthound.[2] The brothers originally developed the dogs' natural herding instincts to work the family's free-roaming hogs.[11]

Comment

• jawbone
          Warrior
          • Jan 2012

great story, Birdog, and packed with good info too - with pics! plus a recovered bullet! well done, Sir.

and major congrats on the Mini 30 conversion. a nice application of ingenuity. hey, i think i may have accidentally spelled ingenuity right.

Comment

• LongRanger

I saw a Mini 30 6.5 Grendel conversion be sold on Gunbroker last week in the mid $1100 range. It had a stainless steel barrel with a built in muzzle brake. Had what appeared to be the black polymer factory stock on it. Was sorely tempted to bid on it but have spent way too much money in the past few months getting into reloading.

Comment

• stevegun 1

Outstanding use of a mini! If it's not nosy of me may I ask how much the conversion cost you. Good hunting and thanks for the pics.

Comment

• Birdog
                Bloodstained
                • Mar 2013

Black Hawg Down!
                This little piggy never got the chance to cry wa wa wa all the way home. Which is where he should have stayed this morning. I'm guessing he weighed in at about 130 lbs. Did a sneak on him from about 500 yards out. Closed it to 100 yards, laid in the road, filled the optics with black hair, and put one in his neck just ahead of his right shoulder. He never took a step and amazingly enough actually fell slowly, like a tree being felled, into the direction of my shot. What you see is how he landed and you're looking at the exit wound which flowed blood like Jed Clampett's bubbling crude. Shot with a factory Hornaday load, 123 gr. SST. Didn't hear the "smack" I've been hearing with the AMAX's, but then again this is the closest shot I've had so far. The AMAX's were 260 yard shots. 5 for 5 on attempts vs. kills with the Mini Grendel. This gun kills game like a good boat raises fish. If Obama had his way he'd rein this one in....

SSendaroPig.jpg

Comment

• Birdog
                  Bloodstained
                  • Mar 2013

stevegun 1:

I'm a hair over a grand with the new furniture and options I selected. I'd do it again tomorrow in a heartbeat. I couldn't be happier with the gun. Take a look at the choices you have to choose from on the link below. Page down for a varitety of selections. These will give you basic ideas that you can mix and match from.

Custom Ruger Mini 14 & 30 Rifles built by Accuracy Systems Inc. We build Custom Rifles and do Rebarreling on Ruger Mini 14 & Mini 30 rifles.

Comment

• bwaites
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Birdog View Post
                    Black Hawg Down!
                    This little piggy never got the chance to cry wa wa wa all the way home. Which is where he should have stayed this morning. I'm guessing he weighed in at about 130 lbs. Did a sneak on him from about 500 yards out. Closed it to 100 yards, laid in the road, filled the optics with black hair, and put one in his neck just ahead of his right shoulder. He never took a step and amazingly enough actually fell slowly, like a tree being felled, into the direction of my shot. What you see is how he landed and you're looking at the exit wound which flowed blood like Jed Clampett's bubbling crude. Shot with a factory Hornaday load, 123 gr. SST. Didn't hear the "smack" I've been hearing with the AMAX's, but then again this is the closest shot I've had so far. The AMAX's were 260 yard shots. 5 for 5 on attempts vs. kills with the Mini Grendel. This gun kills game like a good boat raises fish. If Obama had his way he'd rein this one in....

[ATTACH]3199[/ATTACH]
                    Well done!!

Comment

Working...
                    X