Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any further insight into ..........

..... what is going on here ??

Starting June 1, 2011, Satern Custom Machining and Liberty Barrels will no longer produce 6.5 Grendel and .50 Beowolf barrels, as both barrel makers declined to agree to a new, more onerous licensing agreement with Alexander Arms. Satern had produced cut-rifled 6.

• longdayjake

Just a lot more of the same. The writer obviously has an opinion of his own. However, I tend to agree that some companies may avoid the Grendel out of fear of litigation. Nobody wants to buy into a lawsuit.

Comment

• JarHeadRule

Thats exactly the stuff I was talking in my post My Worries. Stuff that I read like that makes me really wonder about what is going on with the round and its future. I have one I love it and everytime I turn around Im reading about another vendor who has left the fold for one reason or another. I respect the guys on this forum and they keep me well informed but stuff like this cant be good. Ive always been told that if ya hear enough bad stuff about something, that eventually people will start to believe it and that is whaat worries me here.

Comment

I think the 264 LBC may help people avoid some of the legal issues. But for all I know, LBC has the same licensing requirements that other companies have. Does anyone know if any of the cartridges like Grendel, 6.5 CSS, or 264 LBC have been submitted to SAAMI?

Comment

Originally posted by noone View Post
          Does anyone know if any of the cartridges like Grendel, 6.5 CSS, or 264 LBC have been submitted to SAAMI?
          A short while ago there was a contentious thread on here that would lead one to conclude that Hornady is in the process of guiding the 6.5 Grendel through SAAMI certification. Use the search function for SAAMI.

Comment

The Grendel's success is not dependent on AA. They may own the name, but the cartridge is chambered under many other names. I'm new to this areana, but I already know about .264 lbc, 6.5 CSS, 6.5 SOAD and 6.5 Sporter. Just because a company looses the right to use the Grendel moniker, does not mean they have to cease producing products for the round.

I've never heard such gloom and doom over a cartridge before. IF it should somehow go away as a production round, we'll just become part of the long history of wildcatters.
            Last edited by Guest; 05-30-2011, 02:51 AM.

Comment

• Drifter
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Is there any 6.5 / .264 cartridge that is considered mainstream by the general shooting public? Seems like only long-range enthusiasts really recognize the appeal of the caliber. For the gun owner that rarely (or never) shoots past 100 or 200 yards on paper and / or 300 yards when hunting, the benefits likely go unnoticed. Other cartridges easily fill their needs.

I don't think the 6.5 Grendel or any of the variants will go away, but don't expect them to ever be overly commonplace either in a general sense. Stock up on reloading components (or ammo) and enjoy the cartridge. It seems to be quite good for shooting and hunting at extended ranges, and that will not change regardless of whether it wins marketing awards or popularity contests.
              Drifter

Comment

I think all the 6.5 cartridges mentioned in this thread (6.5 CSS, 6.5 Sporter, 6.5 Grendel, 264 LBC) are generically referred to as the 6.5 Grendel. When people are discussing which cartridge their rifle is chambered for, it almost always gets around to be being referred to as the Grendel. Sure, AA has the rights the the making of that specific chamber, but in reality, plenty of people are making fine rifles in this little cartridge because it has such fabulous ballistics.

Technically, the rifle may be chambered for many different named rounds, but they are all offshoots of the Grendel.

Comment

Working...
                X