• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Keep The Change
    Warrior
    • Mar 2013

Stock for New Build

So I'm building a target gun. I've never been a target shooter or hunter but would like to hone some skills at long distance shooting.

I have a 22" Brux Barrel with a Les Bauer Bolt and an upper and lower cerakoted and ready to go.

Now I need to get down to the nitty gritty of parts selection.

STOCKS:
    My natural reaction is to go to the Magpul PRS for some target shooting with its adjustments and monopod option.
    I would say the uses would be a range gun from a bench and then later as I get better do some prone shooting. Is this the best option out there?
  • KentuckyBuddha
    Warrior
    • Oct 2012

PRS is what I decided on as well. They are not THAT heavy either in the event you change your mind about your intended use.

Comment

• Buster
      Warrior
      • Mar 2012

I mainly shoot from a bench and use the PRS and well satisfied with it.

Comment

I also went with the PRS, the problem I am running into with it is that I need a riser to lift my scope otherwise I am not getting any benefit from adjusting the cheek. I have the Nikon one piece 223 mount but I can still only lift the cheek about 1/4". How does everyone else mount their scopes when using a PRS stock?

Comment

• cory
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2012

For target shooting definitely the PRS. The other comparable stocks on the market are more expensive and don't seem to offer an advantage other than maybe weight savings.
          "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Keep The Change
            Warrior
            • Mar 2013

Hmmm.....I'm seeing a trend here.
            Wiersy111, how tall is the mount?
            So you had to raise the optic because it was too low and now you can't get the cheek weld high enough? Am I reading that right.

Comment

• montana
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2011

The PRS stock is a good target-long range stock but is heavier than other standard, telescopic stocks. If you are shooting long range the extra weight can be advantageous to steady shooting. If you are going to carry your rifle long distances I would look for a lighter option. When climbing up mountains every ounce can add up. It all depends on the use of your rifle and what your main goal is.

Comment

• waveslayer
                Warrior
                • Jan 2013

Originally posted by wiersy111 View Post
                I also went with the PRS, the problem I am running into with it is that I need a riser to lift my scope otherwise I am not getting any benefit from adjusting the cheek. I have the Nikon one piece 223 mount but I can still only lift the cheek about 1/4". How does everyone else mount their scopes when using a PRS stock?
                Is your scope hitting the cheek riser, thus preventing you from adjusting the cheek weld? If that is the case then your scope is mounted way too far back.

Comment

• cory
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2012

If you can only raise the cheek weld 1/4" something is wrong with your PRS.
                  "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• lilharcher
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2013

I believe he is saying that his scope is mounted low enough to where he currently doesn't have to use the cheek riser.

Comment

• babaganoush
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2013

I'm a fan of the PRS, as well. Nice to have LOP and Cheek Weld adjustments. As others have mentioned, the weight can be beneficial on the bench, and also serves me well by helping balance my rifle's bull barrel.

As far as needing a riser for your scope in order to see any benefits from the PRS's cheek adjustment goes, I don't see the problem. By my way of thinking, if your eye aligns with the optics in a lower position, that is an advantage. I've always believed it to be best when the scope is as close to the bore as possible. If you don't need the cheek adjustment to get aligned, all the better.

My scopes are always mounted with the lowest possible rings, with as few components needed to get there - preferably using one piece mounts.
                      "A problem thoroughly understood is always fairly simple. Found your opinions on facts, not prejudices. We know too many things that are not true."

Charles F. Kettering

Comment

Originally posted by lilharcher View Post
                        I believe he is saying that his scope is mounted low enough to where he currently doesn't have to use the cheek riser.
                        Bingo!

I like a high cheek on my rifles and the Nikon mount only raised the scope far enough to only allow me to lift the PRS cheek 1/4". This is not my first rodeo, the scope is mounted correct and the PRS is fine. I stopped at a local gun dealer on the way to the range today and they had a 1" AR flat top riser so I bought that and threw it under the scope now I have the range of adjustment that I need, I think, if not I will have to find a 1/2" or 3/4" riser. I was just asking what others use to lift their scopes.

Comment

Originally posted by babaganoush View Post
                          I'm a fan of the PRS, as well. Nice to have LOP and Cheek Weld adjustments. As others have mentioned, the weight can be beneficial on the bench, and also serves me well by helping balance my rifle's bull barrel.

As far as needing a riser for your scope in order to see any benefits from the PRS's cheek adjustment goes, I don't see the problem. By my way of thinking, if your eye aligns with the optics in a lower position, that is an advantage. I've always believed it to be best when the scope is as close to the bore as possible. If you don't need the cheek adjustment to get aligned, all the better.

My scopes are always mounted with the lowest possible rings, with as few components needed to get there - preferably using one piece mounts.
                          That is the way all my bolts are, some scopes just a hair above the barrel. On the AR's I feel like I am burying my head way down to get a comfortable cheek weld.

Comment

Originally posted by Keep The Change View Post
                            So I'm building a target gun. I've never been a target shooter or hunter but would like to hone some skills at long distance shooting.

I have a 22" Brux Barrel with a Les Bauer Bolt and an upper and lower cerakoted and ready to go.

Now I need to get down to the nitty gritty of parts selection.

STOCKS:
                            My natural reaction is to go to the Magpul PRS for some target shooting with its adjustments and monopod option.
                            I would say the uses would be a range gun from a bench and then later as I get better do some prone shooting. Is this the best option out there?
                            This is What I went with:

Magpul PRS Stock.......................................225.00
                            MDT Engineering Extendable Buttplate...................112.00
                            Cascacadia Armament QD Detachable Sling Mount(PRS)..... 37.00
                            Midwest Industries QD Flush Cup Sling Swivels...........32.00
                            Badger Ordinance 22 MOA Picatinny Riser..................92.00

Comment

• Sojorboy
                              Warrior
                              • Nov 2011

Bingo!

I like a high cheek on my rifles and the Nikon mount only raised the scope far enough to only allow me to lift the PRS cheek 1/4". This is not my first rodeo, the scope is mounted correct and the PRS is fine. I stopped at a local gun dealer on the way to the range today and they had a 1" AR flat top riser so I bought that and threw it under the scope now I have the range of adjustment that I need, I think, if not I will have to find a 1/2" or 3/4" riser. I was just asking what others use to lift their scopes.
                              I have the PRS stock and used a Larue LT 104 mount. Perfect fit for me

Comment

Working...
                              X