• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Keep The Change
    Warrior
    • Mar 2013

Desert Tactical Arms

I forget what website I saw this on but it said that Desert Tactical had an opportunity to make a big sale to Pakistan and refused to.

They would never want their weapons to be used on a US Soldier was the excuse.
    Good for them.
    If I could afford a rifle from them I'd support them with business.

I had looked at some of their stuff online before and it is super cool and neat. They off a 6.5x47 Lapua. I might have to look into that round a little more when I decide to do a bolt gun eventually. I thought that till I looked at the ammo price. Maybe I will just do a 300 win mag.

Anyway good for DTA
  • WildBill3/75

To many negatives for me to ever buy one.

Switch calibers have always been a novelty item in my mind. I'd much rather have a dedicated rifle per caliber.
    Being a bullpup the bolt throw is very awkward.
    Being a bullpup it inherently doesn't have the best design of trigger around.
    If you ever look at one and compare it to another factory rifle in its class such as an AI in it's price range the contrast in craftsmanship is apparent.

I've been watching the evolution of this rifle for a while and it looks to be an ever evolving product that you are paying to test for them....cheek riser, buttspike, gen 2 barrel extension, problems with shoulder pad....you get the picture. You the consumer are the R&D sadly.

Now if they were priced @ $1500 cheaper I might be singing a different tune and be able to accept the short comings but at their current market price I'd rather have an AI or better yet a full blown custom.

Yes .260, 6.5creedmoor, 6.5x47L are all great short action options in the 6.5 class. a long action 6.5x55 swede(lapuas cheapest brass) shooting VLD's would be pretty sweet too.

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
      Warrior
      • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Keep The Change View Post
      I forget what website I saw this on but it said that Desert Tactical had an opportunity to make a big sale to Pakistan and refused to.

They would never want their weapons to be used on a US Soldier was the excuse.
      Good for them.
      If I could afford a rifle from them I'd support them with business.

I had looked at some of their stuff online before and it is super cool and neat. They off a 6.5x47 Lapua. I might have to look into that round a little more when I decide to do a bolt gun eventually. I thought that till I looked at the ammo price. Maybe I will just do a 300 win mag.

Anyway good for DTA
      http://www.dtacomlink.com/dta-dtm-30...i-375-cheytac/

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
        Administrator
        • Feb 2011

@KTC: I read that, too, and thought to myself, "Good for them." From my reading, there's a big chunk of Pakistan that is happy to play both sides of the aisle, proving those guys can't really be trusted.

John
        :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• cory
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2012

Originally posted by HANKA View Post
          ... there's a big chunk of Pakistan that is happy to play both sides of the aisle, proving those guys can't really be trusted.

John
          That's the middle east as a whole. It's part of their culture.

Still good for DTA!
          "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Pakistan is really at least two incompatible nations:

* The ethnic Punjabi people whose ancestors were forcibly converted to the Mohameddan sect with the eastward crusades of the Umayyad Army starting in 711 A.D.

* The ethnic Federally Administrated Tribal areas, which have a significant Pashtun people in the mountainous and ungovernable regions that saddle Afghanistan and Pakistan. This is the Mujahadeen heartland, now known as Taliban by many, although there are scores of different warlords and mini armies with varying loyalties saturating the FATAs.

Pakistan is basically in a state of war with itself, and in a cold war with India. It is an Islamic state, but with varying degrees of compliance to strict interpretations of Islam, since the Punjabis were historically Hindu, and most of them migrated to India after the split when India gained its independence from the waning British Empire post-WWII.

The region has ancient historical precedence for disloyalty to the Indian sub-continental people because one of the ancient Kings conspired with Alexander the Great in order to further his interests. Sitting on the gates between Afghanistan and India, it has been central to agriculture and trade between historical and legendary empires, where geography entrenches and hardens peoples in the foothills and mountains, while the low-land river valley peoples focus on crop cultivation.

Trying to make sense of the region requires basically a lifetime of study, and China has extremely significant regional interests in investing in Pakistan to act as strategic depth against their biggest arch-rival, India, which is why China gave Pakistan nuclear weapons and is a major provider of war material to Pakistan.

Short story, providing Federal Pakistani Army with sniper rifles looks good on paper at keeping the balance of power with the FATA and insurgents, but you also have jihadi loyalists inside the Pakistani ISI (Intelligence), who even wired money to Mohammed Atta pre-9/11. That was their ISI General Mahmoud, who flew to the US so he could watch it unfold even with a front row seat in D.C.

Comment

• Dan
              Bloodstained
              • Aug 2013

A friend of mine works for them in load development. I talked to his dad about his experience with one. Said that he could switch between calibers and adjust optics accordingly and it maintained perfect zero. Maybe a novelty item for most but I'm sure there is a niche for this type of rifle.

Comment

A niche for a rifle that shoots one-hole groups? Nah! Nobody wants one of those.

185gn Berger DTA SRS OCW.jpg

The "sighters" were 4 different charges of H4895 (36.9, 37.6, 38.4, 38.8) behind .308 175 gn Berger OTM Tacticals from a 22" factory DTA barrel at 100 yds. The other charges are as labelled.
                Last edited by Guest; 01-08-2014, 01:33 AM.

Comment

• lilharcher
                  Warrior
                  • Feb 2013

Didnt read article, but can they even sell weapons to Pakistan legally??

Comment

Originally posted by lilharcher View Post
                    Didnt read article, but can they even sell weapons to Pakistan legally??
                    The US has been selling F-16's to Pakistan for decades, in addition to scores of other military hardware. The first things the Paki's did with our F-16's was equip them to deliver nukes provided by China, which resulted in the Reagan Administration cutting off defense trade with Pakistan.

When the CIA ramped up their covert war against the Soviets in Afghanistan, the Paki's said they were totally willing to help, but they needed the embargo lifted, and they no longer wanted first generation F-16A/B's anymore, they wanted the latest F-16C. Currently, we have been selling them one of the most advanced F-16C/D Block 52 suites that is really a different plane in so many ways compared to the 1980's.

Since Pakistan has sea ports and roads that lead to Afghanistan, they hold the cards when dealing with the US and our need to get war materials through the Hindu Kush mountains into land-locked Afghanistan.

As to the DTA, I think this is an example of social responsibility demonstrated by a company that was in a position to profit significantly from the move. Pakistan doesn't really buy anything from the US, rather they use Foreign Military Aid provided by the US to purchase products exclusively from the US as part of the deal. Everyone in D.C. is happy as there is plenty of money to be spread around, and the State Department couldn't care less. Congress rains money on the districts that manufacture the advanced technology, and everyone goes home fat and happy.

Comment

• BjornF16
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                      The US has been selling F-16's to Pakistan for decades, in addition to scores of other military hardware. The first things the Paki's did with our F-16's was equip them to deliver nukes provided by China, which resulted in the Reagan Administration cutting off defense trade with Pakistan.
                      Actually, Reagan did not invoke the Pressler Amendment in 1987. It wasn't until after the Russkies left Afghanistan that exports were halted to Pakistan in 1990 by Bush 41.

I don't think PRC delivered working nukes, but some fissile material and plans for a simple bomb. IIRC, it wasn't until late 90's that they finally detonated a bomb. I don't believe there was ever a working bomb for aircraft in the 80's.

In 1982, a Pakistani military C-130 left the western Chinese city of Urumqi with a highly unusual cargo: enough weapons-grade uranium for two atomic bombs, according to accounts written by the father of Pakistan's nuclear weapons program, Abdul Qadeer Khan, and provided to The Washington Post.
                      Last edited by BjornF16; 01-08-2014, 02:39 AM.
                      LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
                      Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

Peace Gate I

In December 1981, the government of Pakistan signed a letter of agreement for the purchase of up to 40 F-16A/B (28 F-16A and 12 F-16B) fighters for the Pakistan Fiza'ya (Pakistan Air Force, or PAF). The deal would be split into two batches, one of 6 aircraft and the other of 34. The first aircraft were accepted at Fort Worth in October of 1982, and the first F-16, flown by Squadron Leader Shahid Javed, landed in Pakistan at Sargodha Air Base on January 15th, 1983 as part of a package of 6 'Peace Gate I' aircraft (2 A's and 4 B's).
                        From what I recall, they developed the munition and delivery system on their early Block 15 F-16A/B's, although the actual capability to arm it with a nuclear warhead remains dubious.

A lot of the F-16A/B's that were meant for Pakistan that got embargoed became aggressors for the USAF and USN. I remember reading about it in Aviation Leak and Spy Technology. F-16.net seems to have an in-depth account of the decades-long drama with PAF F-16's. http://www.f-16.net/f-16_users_article14.html

They also rigged them with the ATLIS targeting pod. Reading the article further, I see that PAF F-16's saw combat between Soviet and Afghan Air Force aircraft during the Soviet Afghan War, to include some Su-22 and MiG-23 action.
                        Last edited by Guest; 01-08-2014, 03:28 AM.

Comment

• GMinor
                          Warrior
                          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by WildBill3/75 View Post
                          To many negatives for me to ever buy one.

Switch calibers have always been a novelty item in my mind. I'd much rather have a dedicated rifle per caliber.
                          Being a bullpup the bolt throw is very awkward.
                          Being a bullpup it inherently doesn't have the best design of trigger around.
                          If you ever look at one and compare it to another factory rifle in its class such as an AI in it's price range the contrast in craftsmanship is apparent.

I've been watching the evolution of this rifle for a while and it looks to be an ever evolving product that you are paying to test for them....cheek riser, buttspike, gen 2 barrel extension, problems with shoulder pad....you get the picture. You the consumer are the R&D sadly.

Now if they were priced @ $1500 cheaper I might be singing a different tune and be able to accept the short comings but at their current market price I'd rather have an AI or better yet a full blown custom.

Yes .260, 6.5creedmoor, 6.5x47L are all great short action options in the 6.5 class. a long action 6.5x55 swede(lapuas cheapest brass) shooting VLD's would be pretty sweet too.
                          You must smoking some good stuff!!! Pair that DTA chassis up with a barrel spun up by TS customs and you have a 1 hole rifle...

Comment

• montana
                            Chieftain
                            • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Nukes View Post
                            A niche for a rifle that shoots one-hole groups? Nah! Nobody wants one of those.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4378[/ATTACH]

The "sighters" were 4 different charges of H4895 (36.9, 37.6, 38.4, 38.8) behind .308 175 gn Berger OTM Tacticals from a 22" factory DTA barrel at 100 yds. The other charges are as labelled.
                            I would say the proofs in the pudding or in this case the small groups.

I take it you don't drink much coffee? I'll be sure to give you some from my special blend if I ever shoot against you

Comment

• waveslayer
                              Warrior
                              • Jan 2013

Wait until the SHOT show... DTA will be debuting their sick new semi auto bullpup like their bolt actions. They are one of the best rifles I have ever shot... they hold their zero just fine. Try one and you will see why you would want one...

Comment

Working...
                              X