AR-Stoner 6.5 Grendel barrel short chambered.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The longest I could seat a 123 SST into my barrel came out to be 2.195.
    Remember, Satern does not make the reamers. If a reamer maker sells them a reamer and claims it is SAAMI, and it is used to cut chambers that won't allow the 123gr SST to be seated longer than 2.195", something is very wrong.

Comment

• XcountryRider

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
      A lot of the projectiles listed in this thread need to be seated deeply regardless of the chamber they are in, because they have tangent ogives that will jam if you try to load them long. If you look at Volumes I & II of the 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks, or check the manufacturers' load data, you will see that a lot of the shorter, lightweight pills need to be loaded short:

90gr Speer TNT 2.200" per AA
      120gr Sierra Match King 2.220" per AA

Looking in Volume II, I find:

95gr V-MAX 2.200" from Western Powders, and 2.230" from Hodgdon's
      100gr NBT 2.230" from Western Powders

Now the 123gr A-MAX should be able to be loaded quite a bit longer, at least to 2.250", while the 120gr A-MAX will have to be deep seated.
      The 123gr SST ranges from 2.230" to 2.275" in Volume II.

The 129gr SST should be able to be loaded even longer, from 2.260" to 2.290". I can load it longer than the mags will allow, although there is enough variation in ogive shape lot-to-lot that we generally want to give ourselves some stand-off.

Don't expect much longer than 2.200" with the short pills with short radiused tangent ogives, like the 95gr V-MAX, 120gr SMK, etc.

That said, if factory Hornady or AA ammo isn't chambering, or is jamming into the throat/lands, you have a major problem.

I went an reseated by bullets to the proper depth and now everything is working smoothly. Seems my Vmax was loaded to far out and when the bullet got stuck last time powder got into the chamber prevented the other bullets from seating properly. I changed the COAL for Vmax to the recommended 2.200" and it seated fine. I changed Nosler 100 BT to COAL of 2.300" and once again seated fine. I kept the 120gr Barnes the same depth as before and it seated fine. So the mistake WAS ALL ON ME and nothing to do with my Grendel Liberty barrel.

Comment

• Grendanimal
        Bloodstained
        • Jan 2014

Remember, Satern does not make the reamers. If a reamer maker sells them a reamer and claims it is SAAMI, and it is used to cut chambers that won't allow the 123gr SST to be seated longer than 2.195", something is very wrong.
        I completely agree. However, I didn't buy a reamer. I bought a barrel. Heck, I'm so slow to judge normally that I even feel I need to say that I have no proof that Satern/Liberty made this barrel, as it is AR Stoner from Midway. Of course, from what I've read, I'm pretty sure it is (very recently ordered and arrived). I just want to make it clear that I am not trashing anyone. But I also wanted to make it clear that, as you said, something is very wrong.
        Last edited by Grendanimal; 01-22-2014, 01:55 AM. Reason: changed wording

Comment

• XcountryRider

I just chambered and extracted two 123gr SST rounds loaded to 2.270". I'm thinking that this is a mass grendeler Hysteria issue.

Comment

• Tedward
            Banned
            • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Grendanimal View Post
            I completely agree. However, I didn't buy a reamer. I bought a barrel. Heck, I'm so slow to judge normally that I even feel I need to say that I have no proof that Satern/Liberty made this barrel, as it is AR Stoner from Midway. Of course, from what I've read, I'm pretty sure it is (very recently ordered and arrived). I just want to make it clear that I am not trashing anyone. But I also wanted to make it clear that, as you said, something is very wrong.
            Send your barrel and bolt to Satern so they can see the issue would be the best thing for them and you. If you can part with it for a week, I bet they will make good for you and have an accurate answer.

Comment

• Tedward
              Banned
              • Feb 2013

Originally posted by XcountryRider View Post
              I just chambered and extracted two 123gr SST rounds loaded to 2.270". I'm thinking that this is a mass grendeler Hysteria issue.
              Can someone measure your bolts too? OAL and HS? Really curious.

Comment

• Grendanimal
                Bloodstained
                • Jan 2014

I've received VERY out of spec bullets from Hornady before (in .284 caliber). They were quite clear that they messed up and didn't blame anyone else. I'm hoping the rest of the industry has that much tact. I am not a Hornady fan boy, as I was quite pissed about their discontinuance of many popular bullets, etc. and I decided I wouldn't use them in those calibers ever again... but I digress. All I'm saying is that they didn't blame anyone else or anything else, and just replaced the bullets with the correct ones.

Comment

• Tedward
                  Banned
                  • Feb 2013

Originally posted by XcountryRider View Post
                  yes, feeling that too. Might have been a burr in one or two barrels out of hundreds so they might have a 1% issue rate with that being said.

Comment

• Tedward
                    Banned
                    • Feb 2013

I've received VERY out of spec bullets from Hornady before (in .284 caliber). They were quite clear that they messed up and didn't blame anyone else. I'm hoping the rest of the industry has that much tact. I am not a Hornady fan boy, as I was quite pissed about their discontinuance of many popular bullets, etc. and I decided I wouldn't use them in those calibers ever again... but I digress. All I'm saying is that they didn't blame anyone else or anything else, and just replaced the bullets with the correct ones.
                    Send them your barrel, you might get the same result from Satern with an explanation.

Comment

• XcountryRider

Originally posted by Tedward View Post
                      yes, feeling that too. Might have been a burr in one or two barrels out of hundreds so they might have a 1% issue rate with that being said.
                      Especially since the OP fixed his issue with sanding out a bur. I regrettably added to the hysteria with my amateurish load on my Vmax that was one of my first loads right after i got my loading equipment. Once i seated to the proper 2.200" everything is cycling fine.

Comment

• customcutter

I hate to throw another monkey wrench into this. However, I just checked 10 123SST's from 3 different boxes of factory ammo. I got measurements from 2.239" to 2.247". I triple checked measurements 3-4 times and repeated within .0005". Granted this is with a cheap set of HF calipers, but still shows a variance of .008". I even went so far as to check the longest, then the shortest and repeated within .001". Has anyone else ever measured a box of factory ammo? I've never had a reason to before.

My 18" barrel doesn't want to close on the 2.247". I am not releasing the bolt carrier group, simply easing it forward till contact then applying light pressure on the forward assist. It closes on 2.245" or shorter.

I'm beginning to think that possibly the barrels were cut with more than 1 reamer?

Looks like several post were made while I was measuring and posting. Maybe they are all cut wih the same reamer?
                        Last edited by Guest; 01-22-2014, 02:14 AM.

Comment

• XcountryRider

Have you actually chambered factory SST? I would take a few deep breaths and not jump to any conclusions. My problem was my own fault and i'm betting others as well.

Comment

• Look, this is post #146.

More than one person appears to have experienced an apparent short chamber problem.

More dirt than I feel comfortable with has been flung around.

While the handloader bears most of the responsibility for safe and reliable operation, if your rifle does not work with factory ammunition, the rifle maker needs to make it right.

Comment

• Grendanimal
                              Bloodstained
                              • Jan 2014

Yup. Absolutely could be. But in my case, I'm not letting a bolt go on a cartridge/bullet combination that I know will not be safe. And even if it did fire without damage, it wouldn't prove anything. If I would, then it would be a complete waste of time for me to ever measure anything. Thanks for contributing to this thread though everyone. Much appreciated. I guess we'll see.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grendanimal View Post
                                Yup. Absolutely could be. But in my case, I'm not letting a bolt go on a cartridge/bullet combination that I know will not be safe. And even if it did fire without damage, it wouldn't prove anything. If I would, then it would be a complete waste of time for me to ever measure anything. Thanks for contributing to this thread though everyone. Much appreciated. I guess we'll see.
                                Can you tell us more about your barrel/bolt combo?

What is the bolt face depth, for example? You can use the slide in your calipers as an expedient depth gauge.

Are there any markings on the barrel?

Comment

Working...
                                X