AR-Stoner 6.5 Grendel barrel short chambered.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lead Chucker

Thanks guys for the measurments. So my 18" Satern barrel iv had for 2 years has a slightly short chamber also. Iv been shooting it fine, very accurate.

Comment

• What about a chamber cast, anyone use cerrosafe?

Comment

• Tedward
        Banned
        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by BjornF16 View Post
        Semantics. The cannelure is not for locking the rear end to jacket; but as you say the "interlock" is for mechanically locking the jacket to lead. It just so happens that the cannelure and interlock ring are coincident.

The GMX and Barnes X bullets have grooves (aka cannelures) not for crimping, but for friction reduction and build up removal. Hornady's website specifically mentions reduced friction (reduction of contact surface area) while the article below talks about Barnes reasons for grooves (material build up/removal). They can be used for crimping, but that is not their primary purpose.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/partner...-triple-shock/
        Thanks for clearing up that the purpose of the cannelure is not for crimping or an issue if set behind the end of the case as stated by a few people.

Comment

• XcountryRider

Here's my theory the Liberty barrels have always had a smaller chamber you can find references on this forum all the way back to 2011!! Thats why they get such good velocity and those of us with them and have not been able to load our pills out as far as Paul does with his SST's. That said we don't need to because we get awesome velocities in fact probably the fastest of any Grendel barrels. The more bullets go through the more it sort of opens as it breaks in. When the OP could not load factory AA then that set off a panic with folks measuring and other folks fanning the flames of panic.
          Last edited by Guest; 01-24-2014, 01:06 AM.

Comment

• Tedward
            Banned
            • Feb 2013

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
            I just measured a box of 123gr factory Hornady A-MAX for raw COL. Every cartridge was 2.250"-2.252". The ogive might be slightly different than the SST though, since I am able to load the 123gr A-MAX longer than the SST.

I made a dummy 123gr SST round, and tried it in my AA barrel, as well as a Satern 18" Grendel barrel. I can load it to 2.253" where it will just kiss the forcing cone. It chambers and extracts without force.

I also tested my long-loaded 123gr A-MAX in the Satern chamber, and no issues...chambers and extracts without force. That's a 123gr A-MAX at 2.275".
            Are the barrels new or used? I think the issue is the new barrels that have not been broke in. My used Liberty barrel lets bullets drop in and out and the bolt closes with no issue.

Comment

• XcountryRider

Originally posted by Tedward View Post
              Are the barrels new or used? I think the issue is the new barrels that have not been broke in. My used Liberty barrel lets bullets drop in and out and the bolt closes with no issue.
              BINGO!!! The fact the OP polished his barrel and it "fixed" the "issue" shows that its basically a break in thing.

Comment

• All the resources I have seen discuss the cannelure as a crimping groove. It seems to have the fringe benefit of helping the jacket retain more lead mass in the rear of the bullet after expansion in tissue.

I wonder if the Interlock was inspired by this, combined with the gilding metal jacket. Either way, it shouldn't be buried beneath the neck.

They are used barrels, and factory ammunition dropped into them without issue when they were new, then fired, extracted, and ejected no problem. There hasn't been a "break-in" period with my barrel for reliable chambering of a wide variety of ammunition. Even the PPU 123gr SP factory ammo ran through my 16" Grendel.
                Last edited by Guest; 01-24-2014, 01:13 AM.

Comment

• XcountryRider

All the resources I have seen discuss the cannelure as a crimping groove. It seems to have the fringe benefit of helping the jacket retain more lead mass in the rear of the bullet after expansion in tissue.

I wonder if the Interlock was inspired by this, combined with the gilding metal jacket. Either way, it shouldn't be buried beneath the neck.

They are used barrels, and factory ammunition dropped into them without issue when they were new, then fired, extracted, and ejected no problem. There hasn't been a "break-in" period with my barrel for reliable chambering of a wide variety of ammunition. Even the PPU 123gr SP factory ammo ran through my 16" Grendel.

I have 3 Liberty barrels and just traded one so have had four barrels. They break in but that can be accelerated with a fire lapping kit. Remember i was thinking about doing that with my Liberty barrel to reduce the ES? I wonder if someone had an issue with a new AA barrel taking measurements of the COAL before a single shot was fired and broken it? I wonder how the comments would have been like then?

Comment

• cory
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2012

Originally posted by XcountryRider View Post
                    I have 3 Liberty barrels and just traded one so have had four barrels. They break in but that can be accelerated with a fire lapping kit. Remember i was thinking about doing that with my Liberty barrel to reduce the ES? I wonder if someone had an issue with a new AA barrel taking measurements of the COAL before a single shot was fired and broken it? I wonder how the comments would have been like then?
                    If that would have been the case Bill A would of asked to have the barrels sent back to him for inspection days ago. XCR you know I've called out AA when it was deserved, but I'm also going to give credit where credit is due. I've seen Bill A. take back a "Grendel" barrel that was riddled with problems and replaced it with one of his at no charge.
                    "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Originally posted by XcountryRider View Post
                      It would be irresponsible not to do some safety checks BEFORE you ever fire a new barrel. It factory ammo will not chamber there is an issue. I have no doubt whoever is at fat will remedy the issue but it seems to me that you refuse to believe there is an issue... Possibly because of the two group buys that you've recently organized.

Comment

• Grendanimal
                        Bloodstained
                        • Jan 2014

Exactly. Cannelure or not, my red flags would have gone up anyway with how deep it was seated, even with the understanding that certain bullets need to seat deeper.

I have stayed out of this thread for quite a few posts because no matter if this is an issue with a barrel, a reamer, an ammunition manufacturer, a combination of things, or none of the above, people will do whatever they feel they want to do no matter what.

Without intentionally ruffling feathers, I have read enough in this thread to know that even IF there DEFINITELY WERE defects in ANY product and I'm not saying that there definitely are in this case, or just tolerance issues on any end, there would be a lot of people who would be cognitively dissonant, and sit there doing things and trying things to ease the pain of how long they waited to complete something. That is understandable if you know humans, but is not acceptable. Once again, I am not taking "sides" on anything. I am simply saying that if it was any gun part, car part, airplane part, etc., that people have a way of doing things that make them feel better about things, which is natural, but not normally a good idea. I have my own ideas on this issue, but I will definitely know more tomorrow when I test another barrel. I am glad there are still people looking at this objectively and fairly without, what I think, involving emotions.
                        This is a great forum.
                        Last edited by Grendanimal; 01-24-2014, 01:33 AM.

Comment

• I always take COL measurements when developing a load, especially as I reference the data from the manufacturer when working with a new cartridge.

When seating the bullet, you need to know how deep it will be going into the case. Standard reloading practices begin with determining your maximum COL. To assume that any of us were doing otherwise makes me question what is going on here. COL is one of the most important data points that everyone I know references and keeps firmly in mind when loading.

I just pulled out some 2009 data written in my rifle-specific notebook where I log what I have done with the firearm from a reloading standpoint. My load data includes COL with each different projectile, and they are not all the same. This is basic reloading 101, finding your COL with each projectile.

Comment

• BjornF16
                            Chieftain
                            • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Tedward View Post
                            Thanks for clearing up that the purpose of the cannelure is not for crimping or an issue if set behind the end of the case as stated by a few people.
                            Just for clarification...the grooves on solids (e.g. GMX and X bullet) are not for crimping. The ridged cannelures on leaded bullets like SST are for crimping.

Since the 123 SST was designed specifically for the Grendel, one would expect that the cannelure would be correctly lined up for crimping. For other bullets not designed specifically for the Grendel, they may or may not line up correctly.
                            Last edited by BjornF16; 01-24-2014, 01:48 AM.
                            LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
                            Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• Grendanimal
                              Bloodstained
                              • Jan 2014

I always take COL measurements when developing a load, especially as I reference the data from the manufacturer when working with a new cartridge.

When seating the bullet, you need to know how deep it will be going into the case. Standard reloading practices begin with determining your maximum COL. To assume that any of us were doing otherwise makes me question what is going on here. COL is one of the most important data points that everyone I know references and keeps firmly in mind when loading.

I just pulled out some 2009 data written in my rifle-specific notebook where I log what I have done with the firearm from a reloading standpoint. My load data includes COL with each different projectile, and they are not all the same. This is basic reloading 101, finding your COL with each projectile.
                              Yup. Exactly. And doing that long enough will tend to cause a person to pause when something doesn't seem right, which is why we are here trying to figure it out, no matter if there is or is not something wrong.
                              Last edited by Grendanimal; 01-24-2014, 01:45 AM. Reason: added

Comment

• Tedward
                                Banned
                                • Feb 2013

Has anyone checked a new Lilja barrel yet???

Comment

Working...
                                X