X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Slappy
    Warrior
    • Feb 2014

O-K now I am totally lost, so now there are 3 different ones out there?? What is a Grendel 2 then?? BANG BANG!!

Comment

The Grendel 2 will take factory ammunition. It is the Grendel chamber with a non-compound throat. The Grendel 2 is the same as the "scraped" lead-throat which a straight section (lead) followed by the 1.5 degree throat. The Grendel 2 has the same neck diameter as the original Grendel.

Comment

• explorecaves

Correct me if I am wrong, but there is:

6.5 Grendel (SAAMI spec) that has the compound throat
        .264 LBC Essentially a non-compound throat 6.5 Grendel chamber 0.262" between shoulder and taper of the lands
        Grendel II has a 6.5 Grendel SAAMI chamber with a scrapped throat using dimensions from the 6.5x47 Lapua throat resulting is a non-compound throat of 0.299" between shoulder and taper of the lands.

Comment

• NugginFutz
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

The thing called a GII is essentially the .264 LBC, with a larger neck diameter. .300", as opposed to the LBC's .295". Wider neck, means brass is worked more than the LBC, during resizing. It has neither the advantage of the compound throat of a Grendel, or the tightness of the LBC's neck section.

The good news? It is another chamber that will shoot the 6.5 Grendel round and adds to the number of consumers needing it. More demand = more likelihood that ammo makers will produce more.
          If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Slappy
            Warrior
            • Feb 2014

Think I will stick with the original and the one on order and be happy. BANG BANG!! New/different is not better all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
              The thing called a GII is essentially the .264 LBC, with a larger neck diameter. .300", as opposed to the LBC's .295". Wider neck, means brass is worked more than the LBC, during resizing. It has neither the advantage of the compound throat of a Grendel, or the tightness of the LBC's neck section.

The good news? It is another chamber that will shoot the 6.5 Grendel round and adds to the number of consumers needing it. More demand = more likelihood that ammo makers will produce more.
              My hope that the accuracy of the GII chamber with the most commonly used factory ammunition is at least minute of deer.

The LBC has a pretty good reputation, so the main issue is whether Les Baer's cartridge really depends on the neck for accurate centering of the bullet in the chamber. If it doesn't then the GII should be OK. If it really does, then we may see more Grendel controversy.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
                My hope that the accuracy of the GII chamber with the most commonly used factory ammunition is at least minute of deer.

The LBC has a pretty good reputation, so the main issue is whether Les Baer's cartridge really depends on the neck for accurate centering of the bullet in the chamber. If it doesn't then the GII should be OK. If it really does, then we may see more Grendel controversy.
                I've read the discussions on which centers the bullet on what. I am not concerned, simply because both work. LBC + Tighter neck = good shooter. 6.5G + Compound throat = Good shooter. What's not to like? The GII is stepping away from both perceived benefits, and who knows how that ends up? Some of the scraped throat people have already reported loss of velocity, and I remember one who said their groups opened a tiny bit. That, however, is a single sample, with no serious testing done. Hardly worth mentioning, as far as statistics go. Time will tell.

I do not look forward to any further controversy on the subject, as I still believe that the issue had nothing to do with GII or Short Chambers. It had to do with a barrel maker who adamantly refused to address the concerns of what are now disgruntled customers by correcting the issue. Some owners were happy having their barrels converted to a chamber different than they ordered. Others - not so much.

The fact that people with the issue are appearing out of the blue, and outside the influence of this board tells me that it was hardly a case of hysteria and fear mongering. Regardless of what others have said, a significant number of short chambered barrels were made and sold, and there are still people are discovering that fact on their own.

<begin rant>
                Lastly, while I'm on the subject, I found it quite disingenuous on the part of some folks who would constantly point out the occasional instance were the odd barrel from other makers would also have rounds sticking in the chamber. After weeding through the many red herrings, where hand loads or carbon fouled chambers turned out to be the issue, a couple of cases where (gasp!) an AA barrel had an issue with a sticking factory round. Guess what? I guess it CAN happen. The difference is this, (and I've been beating this drum way too long, now): In the cases where it was actually brought to AA's attention, they looked at the barrel, acknowledged the issue and they FIXED IT!!! Without excuses or apologists running smoke screens, they simply did the right thing. Period.

THAT is why I will not consider any AR-Stoner barrel or Satern product. For no other reason than how I saw them treat their customers. I don't know if Satern realizes how much damage was done to their reputations, and I am not sure if they even care.
                <end of rant>

Forgive me for wasting more bandwidth than the subject rates.
                If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• alligator
                  Unwashed
                  • Jan 2014

I don't know if Satern realizes how much damage was done to their reputations, and I am not sure if they even care.
                  I sure felt like they did not care.

An update to my thread and posts here. I still have not fired the "scraped" barrel. I took the upper apart and decide to sell the barrel and ammo I have. Then I decided to sit on it for a while. I could not pull the trigger on the PSA 6.8 deal they had over Easter. Then I started thinking I could send this barrel to ADCO and get it cut and a more useful/normal thread put on the end of it and possibly shaving it down under the hand guard. Making it a 16 inch with a gov profile would be cool. It would make it a lot lighter for carrying around to hunt with. Some cheaper ammo would be nice.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by alligator View Post
                    I sure felt like they did not care.

An update to my thread and posts here. I still have not fired the "scraped" barrel. I took the upper apart and decide to sell the barrel and ammo I have. Then I decided to sit on it for a while. I could not pull the trigger on the PSA 6.8 deal they had over Easter. Then I started thinking I could send this barrel to ADCO and get it cut and a more useful/normal thread put on the end of it and possibly shaving it down under the hand guard. Making it a 16 inch with a gov profile would be cool. It would make it a lot lighter for carrying around to hunt with. Some cheaper ammo would be nice.
                    Well, Selway is still selling the SST's for 17.95 per 20. That is as cheap as I've seen, and not much more expensive than reloading, given the cost of components, today.

Comment

Working...
                    X