X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jluck
    Warrior
    • Mar 2013

Let's hope that quote from Dave at PTG is BS, I sure hope it is, At this point it could be made up or taken out of context (modified), After seeing some of the comments from XCR and Satern I see some desperation and trying to type there way out of a costly mistake with no regard to integrity or safety.

Comment

• pinzgauer
      Warrior
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by jluck View Post
      Let's hope that quote from Dave at PTG is BS
      The question I'd have is how are the PTG reamers with magic throats marked??? At least 264 LBC is labelled differently. Were these silently shipped as "Grendel" even though non SAAMI or pre-SAAMI specs?

Comment

• cst
        Warrior
        • Jan 2014

calling Adam lilja

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
          Administrator
          • Feb 2011

I have 27 small to large AR manufactures that have been using the 6.5 Grendel II and or the 264 LBC-AR for 2-3 years. I personally guarantee that the parallel throat will out shoot the double angle crap you all have been force fed. If you have any questions feel free to call me and I will personally make you see the light. Do not speculate on the throat, it is different than the 6.5x47 Lapua. It is a precise throat that will out shoot and outperform the standard Grendel SAAMI throat that has been unable to perform with newer loaded factory ammo. I am the same person that developed the 6.8 SPC II and have corrected many other poorly designed cartridges. It is one thing to design, it’s another to make it shoot.
          Dave Kiff
          Pacific Tool & Gauge
          541-826-5808
          Wow. Huh? Just wow.

What in the world can he be thinking? "Bill Alexander thinks he knows better than me? I'll give them the reamer they REALLY need. It'll shoot great; they'll thank me later. As if those Fudds would ever know the difference!" Please tell me this is not real.

John
          :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• dammitman
            Warrior
            • Dec 2012

well theres the phone number to call and the dare to do it,,,,,,do it. Dave Kiff sounds pretty confident to me. Lets see if the number will reach him

Comment

• Kikn
              Warrior
              • Nov 2011

The number matches but then again it is a generic number. Not like its his cell phone or direct line to him.

Comment

• PrecisionFirearms
                Warrior
                • Apr 2011

There has been great consternation recently over barrels and chambers. Some have barrels that seem to allow factory cartridges to drop right in, straight from the factory. Others have claimed that their barrels do not allow them to chamber factory ammunition, but do allow short seating of bullets, and seem to shoot very well

See this link for post with pictures of our 6.5 Grendel Compound Throat compared to the barrel in question.

Mark Hostetter
                Precision Firearms
                Last edited by PrecisionFirearms; 02-28-2014, 03:15 AM.
                "Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."

Comment

• Originally posted by HANKA View Post
                  Wow. Huh? Just wow.
                  I can see that being the exact quote...easy.

Everyone has their own opinion about what will work and what will not. When it comes to selling barrels the barrel chambers/throats should be described correctly then let the customer make the choice. Deceptive marketing is not the right way to go about it. Before I purchased a barrel I would want to know the exact dimensions. None of this 6.5x47 type throat crap.
                  JGS is another reamer manufacturer that Kiff learned from. They will grind carbide reamers for high production. Almost double the price but, high quality and all flutes cut.

Comment

• keystone183
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2013

None of this makes any sense. At all. EVERYONE's story keeps changing. Evolving. Unraveling. I would expect this as an explanation for healthcare.gov. Ridiculous.

Comment

• bwaites
                      • Mar 2011

Precision Firearms and Lilja barrels have both made statements which are posted here:

The thread pertaining to possible chamber issues has become impossibly complex, and has wandered quite a bit. This thread shall serve as a continuation with a hopefully brief condensation of the previous thread. The whole issue seems to have occurred because some members of a group barrel buy from Liberty barrels, a

Comment

• stevegun 1

Bill, thanks for the link, it should clear up a lot for many. If I read the words of Mark and Dan correctly, they use reamers from PTG and seem happy with them. Maybe this link will end the flaming of a good man and his company and is why no one has "chimed in" further since you posted last night.. If anyone is wondering if Dave at PTG will come to the phone and discuss this, give him a call and you'll find out. The 541 area code number is correct and works for PTG.

Kikn; would you please post your cell number on this open forum so we can see how that works out for you?

I've never met Dave (several phone calls over the years) and my only association with him is as a customer, I have not bought anyone else's reamer in over 15 years. I and my former partner have always had excellent results with PTG reamers, to the extent that if a customer wants a chamber that I do not have the reamer I require them to buy one from Dave if they want me to do the work. No one has ever said no so far. I always work a deal to keep the reamer.

The above, as always, IMHO.

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
                          Warrior
                          • Apr 2013

Originally posted by SHORT-N-SASSY View Post
                          Using the Hornady Contact Form, I today submitted the following Message:

"Subject: Satern Machining 6.5 GRENDEL ANNOUNCEMENT, on their Home Page (http://saternmachining.com) --- "The chambers for the 6.5 Grendel and the throat are all SAAMI compliant. We cannot police ammunition manufacturers. Whichever bullet they put into a cartridge is up to them, not our company. If your factory ammunition is not working with our SAAMI chamber, then you will need to contact them directly and complain."

"Dear Hornady Customer Support:

"I received an AR-Stoner 6.5 Grendel Barrel and matching Bolt from MidwayUSA.com, in early January (I'm advised that the Barrel supplier is Satern Machining). Upon my initial test firing (using Hornady 6.5 Grendel 123-grain A-MAX ammunition, Lot #3132540), I noted cratered primers.

"Following the test firing, I checked the Cartridge Overall Length of the unfired factory-loaded cartridges: 2.245". When loaded into the AR-Stoner/Satern Machining 6.5 Grendel Chamber, using the spring-loaded Bolt-Carrier Group, extracted cartridges exhibited distinct abrasions on the bullets, approx. 0.075" - 0.080" forward of the case mouths, at five points around the circumference (the Barrel is stamped "6.5 GRENDEL 1-8 5R"). Also, I noted some resistance, during the extraction of the unfired cartridges from the chamber. Concerned, I returned the 6.5 Grendel Barrel-Bolt combo to MidwayUSA.com, for a refund, within the 60-day time period requirement.

"In view of all the above, what is Hornady's position on the matter? Thank you.

"CC: The 6.5 Grendel Forum"

To update:

I today FAXed the following letter to Sean McGee, Director of Operations, Hornady Manufacturing Company:

"RE: My February 26, 2014 Message-request to Hornady Technical Inquiries, via the Hornady Contact form, copy enclosed.

"Dear Mr. McGee:

"I today received a brief E-mail response to the above-referenced Message from Hornady requesting, 'We ask that you give us a call at your earliest convenience.' I called the (800) 338-3220 number provided and talked to 'Tim.' He advised that he hadn't seen the Message I submitted two days ago. Accordingly, I briefed him on the matter, reading the first paragraph of Satern Machining's 6.5 GRENDEL ANNOUNCEMENT, as was quoted in my Message. He offered that I might contact you for your review of the matter.

"To update: A number of MidwayUSA.com Customers, who purchased these AR-Stoner/Satern Machining 6.5 Grendel Barrels, also shared the same problem with short throats http://www.midwayusa.com/product/586...tainless-steel (scroll Customer Reviews).

"A definitive response to the Satern Machining 6.5 GRENDEL ANNOUNCEMENT, from Hornady, would be appreciated. Thank you.

"CC: The 6.5 Grendel Forum"

Comment

• BjornF16
                            Chieftain
                            • Jun 2011

Originally posted by stevegun 1 View Post
                            Bill, thanks for the link, it should clear up a lot for many. If I read the words of Mark and Dan correctly, they use reamers from PTG and seem happy with them. Maybe this link will end the flaming of a good man and his company and is why no one has "chimed in" further since you posted last night.. If anyone is wondering if Dave at PTG will come to the phone and discuss this, give him a call and you'll find out. The 541 area code number is correct and works for PTG.
                            I called Dave at PTG...apparently he was on the phone. Left my number as well as reason I was calling (to take him up on offer to discuss Grendel chamber). No return call...
                            LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
                            Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• Kikn
                              Warrior
                              • Nov 2011

Originally posted by stevegun 1 View Post
                              Kikn; would you please post your cell number on this open forum so we can see how that works out for you.
                              Not sure why you are flaming me. All I did was verify a connection to a number and a website. It was generic and anyone could have listed that information. If the person in queztion wAs ballsy enough to post up his info but not ballsy enough to post a direct line he can eat dirt. Go ahead and post your number And we'll chat.
                              Last edited by Kikn; 03-01-2014, 06:46 PM. Reason: my apologies for my drunk post

Comment

• Tedward
                                Banned
                                • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Kikn View Post
                                Not sure why you are flaming me. All I did was verify a connection to a number and a website. It was generic and anyone could have listed that information. If the person in queztion wAs ballsy enough to post up his info but not ballsy enough to post a direct line he can eat a d#1k. Go ahead and post your number And we'll chat.
                                +1

Comment

Working...
                                X