Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • customcutter

18" Liberty COAL finally measured

I finally got some used brass today to measure my barrel with. I didn't have dies to resize it with so finally wound up pulling a bullet from some new factory Hornady 123gr SST's, so that I had enough neck tension to hold the bullets. I inserted a new 123 SST in the brass and seated it +/- .150 longer than factory. I then inserted it in the chamber and locked the bolt (upper was off the rifle). I did this three times, 2.255, 2.256, 2.255. This is .010" longer than the factory SST's and there were no visible land marks on the new bullet. I'll be sighting it in this weekend if things go as planned.
  • Tedward
    Banned
    • Feb 2013

I take it you didn't have any rework done?

Comment

Sounds like your GTG.
      Mine came about 30 to 40 thou shorter but seems to getting better with shooting and lots of cleaning.
      It shoots good.
      I might have to go to a lighter buffer with my CFE and 123 SST load..
      It's a little weak cycling but is accurate.
      My 85 grain sierra's shoot real good.
      Your barrel should be pretty good with a near perfect length throat.

Comment

• customcutter

No, no rework done. I was waiting to get a piece of brass to measure the chamber with. I wound up pulling a bullet from a new round, to use the brass from. I think I'm good to go, but I'll be looking for pressure signs just in case. I've got an adjustable gas block, can that cause pressure signs if not adjusted properly?

Comment

• txgunner00
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

You are much shorter than my Satern cut rifled barrel but seem to be OK for that lot of ammo. Keep an eye on future ammo you purchase and enjoy your shooting.

I recommend marking and saving that particular piece of brass and bullet. It will be useful in the future to monitor throat erosion if you shoot a lot.
          NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

Glad to see you got it worked out, sorry I wasnt able to help. If you need help in the future, I have a complete set up for reloading including case prep machines, single stage and progressive loaders. My Grendel is down right now and I'm getting ready to change out the hand guard and possibly the upper. I did finally get an optic solution worked out.

Comment

• Walter
              Warrior
              • Jan 2013

If you drop in factory ammo and close the bolt will it drop out if you point to barrel up? If not it is to short.

Comment

• customcutter

TXG, yes I think it probably is a little short, but I'm not jamming the lands, so shouldn't have a pressure issue with .010" jump. That brass and bullet are set aside, soaked the primer in oil, for future reference. I reload also and plan on staying with the 123 gr SST's or maybe 100-110 gr TSX. Just gotta get some dies and the Reloading Manuals I & II.

Joker31, Thanks for the offer to help out. I appreciate it. I've got a single stage and a progressive also. I'll be reloading for the Grendel soon.

Walter, thanks for the advice. For whatever reason, mine is not as short as some of the others. I also got lucky and got a good bolt .135"

Comment

Working...
                X