Anyone hear of Grendel II using a 6.5x47 Laupa throat?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone hear of Grendel II using a 6.5x47 Laupa throat?

Saw this on a FB page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/ARHu..._comment_reply)

I talked to Steve Satern this morning he asked me to let you guys know that the Grendel II is still a SAMMi chamber but just has the 6.5mmX47 throat.

Grendel II is a SAMMI Grendel chamber with a lapua 6.5mm X47 throat. Its just a barrel mod not a different cartridge. Stll shoots factory Grendel ammo. Its to give handloaders of grendel more options.

Cartrige is the exact same. The lapua throat is a litle longer allowing a full range of bullets to be used. For example ahandloader useing a 130gr bukllet can load out to mag length leaving more room for powder in the grendel case and therefore get higher velocities.

In this case the cartridge is the same as well as the chamber but the throat the part where the bullet protrudes into when chambered is longer allowing bullets to be loaded longer before the ogive of the bullet contacts the lands.
    Last edited by bwaites; 03-01-2014, 08:21 PM. Reason: Name removed at member request
  • NugginFutz
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Trooper View Post
    Trooper - not to sound trite, but have you not seen any of the threads surrounding the Liberty barrel group buy? Or any of the follow on threads? They are quite literally buzzing about this "SAAMI" chambered fix being offered as an alternative to the short throated Satern barrels.

The most recently active thread is here:

If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
      Trooper - not to sound trite, but have you not seen any of the threads surrounding the Liberty barrel group buy? Or any of the follow on threads? They are quite literally buzzing about this "SAAMI" chambered fix being offered as an alternative to the short throated Satern barrels.

The most recently active thread is here:

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...accept-returns
      I assume that other manufacturers have a deeper throat that is similar to this fix?

Comment

• explorecaves

Other manufacturers have throats that fall within SAAMI specs because they believe the throat is part of the spec where Saturn does not believe the throat is part of the spec even though it is on the reamer drawing...

Comment

• heinz57grendel

Satern has this same post on their website. #donewithsatern

Comment

• BjornF16
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2011

I assume that other manufacturers have a deeper throat that is similar to this fix?
            Trooper, this is not a "fix".

There is nothing wrong with SAAMI Grendel. The problem arises when a chamberer doesn't ream the entire chamber (to include the throat) IAW the SAAMI spec. Contrary to what some are insinuating, the SAAMI spec includes the throat.
            LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
            Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• NugginFutz
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

Essentially true. At issue, here, is that Satern apparently insists that the free bore is not part of the SAAMI specification, thus entitling the company to cut the throat as deep as it pleases and still sell it as a SAAMI spec'd barrel. After the hew and cry on this board about the some of the Liberty barrels having throats that were shorter than the depth indicated on the SAAMI drawings, the solution was apparently to come out with the so-called Grendel II, a previously unheard of chambering. What many here find offensive, is that Satern is touting it as being a SAAMI chambering, as well, simply because a Grendel Go/No Go gauge set will work within it. Ironically, some here have pointed out that by the same turn, several other known wildcats can also claim the same pedigree because they, too, can chamber the same Go Gauge.

Quite a an interesting viewpoint, considering it comes from a Gunsmith and Barrel Maker.
              If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

Is XCR not the same FORMER member that was a very large part of the controversy surrounding the Liberty barrels?
                Last edited by bwaites; 03-01-2014, 08:22 PM.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

One and the same

Comment

I was pretty sure it was him, he has quite a fairy tail on Facebook. I have been quiet throughout this whole fiasco however I have four friends that were on the verge of being grendelized but are now on the fence because of these barrels and this clowns bs. And by the way one of the guys is the one who introduced me to the Grendel, He is retired SF and also was a builder/ trainer for DPMS.

Comment

The Grendel has SAAMI standardization going for it, and along comes Liberty barrels and PTG....

Comment

I am not the brightest crayon in the box and like to ask obvious questions but here it goes. If these barrels are indeed not SAAMI specs due we not have a duty as concerned shooters to report this disgrace to SAAMI and provide them with the evidence that this crap is going on?

Comment

The barrel makers can do whatever they want, although claiming something to be SAAMI-spec when it is not doesn't sit well with customers, especially when ammunition made by the company who submitted Grendel to SAAMI doesn't function safely in some of the barrels.

Comment

• jluck
                            Warrior
                            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                            The Grendel has SAAMI standardization going for it, and along comes Liberty barrels and PTG....
                            Did PTG do something wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by jluck View Post
                              Did PTG do something wrong?
                              They provided some of the reamers, and one of the diagrams for one of their reamers has +/-.001" allowance, when there is no - allowance on the SAAMI chamber drawing. A reamer that is +.001" too large in diameter can jack things up pretty quickly, as in tight chambers and short throats.

Run that reamer like a bad boy until it gets smaller from wear and see what happens.
                              Last edited by Guest; 02-22-2014, 06:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X