Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Range Report - Liberty Barrel with Scraped Throat

throat.jpg

I have received my 18” Liberty barrel after having the throat scraped to safely accept factory ammunition, so it was reassembled, bedding the barrel with blue Loctite. The supplied bolt was also out of specification, so I'm due to get a replacement from Satern. In the meantime I'd ordered a second bolt from Underground Tactical. The Underground bolt is in spec. (of course) and workmanship looks great!

So I received my bolt on Saturday and quickly got my rifle and gear together to make it to the range before dark. Had to beat the winter storm due in Sunday, or it would be another week before I'd have a chance to test this build. In my haste I'd forgotten to bring my rifle rest, so I had to make due with shooting from the bench, off my range bag. Keep that in mind when looking over the accuracy results.

GrendelRifle.jpg

Function and Operation:
    I ran 40 rounds of factory Hornady A-Max 123gr ammunition through the rifle. Fired brass did not exhibit any of the over pressure signs I'd seen before. No cratered or pierced primers! The primary focus of this report is on the factory A-Max ammo, but I also shot a variety of hand loads that were all loaded to published staring charge weights and C.O.L. since I want to start load development for hunting. I used the C Products Defense 25 round magazines loaded with 20 or less rounds for all strings of fire. Total round count was 70 rounds, and I'm happy to report that this rifle configuration functioned normally with no malfunctions.

A-Max Velocity:
    After firing a few rounds to verify things were working right, I shot five shot strings to chronograph velocities. My chronograph is the “Shooting Chrony” model, and I set it up about 10 feet from the muzzle. Temperature was 44 deg F.
    The Hornady A-Max showed: 2384, 2391, 2402, 2383, and 2401 with an average velocity of 2392 feet per second. Extreme spread is 18 fps.

100 Yard Accuracy:
    I shot a couple of 5 shot groups and a 10 shot group with the Hornady A-Max . Pictures of 5 and 10 shot groups are shown here. The 5 shot group was spoiled by a flier. Overall was 2.85” and the four together measured 1.1”.

A-Max at 100 yards.jpg

The 10 shot group exhibited vertical stringing. This group was shot with two strings of 5, so that may have had something to do with it. Remember that I'm just using my range bag to rest the forearm over. All 10 shots went into 3” total and the best five were right at an inch.

A-Max 10 shots at 100.jpg

My hand loads were of the Sierra 120gr. Pro Hunter, Hornady 123gr. A-Max, and Hornady 129gr. Interlock bullets. To keep the focus on the Hornady A-Max factory ammunition, I will only say that the hand loads exhibited accuracy that was more or less similar the factory ammo. No drastic shifts were observed.

200 Yard Accuracy:
    Moving to the maximum available yardage at my range, I put the factory A-Max into a couple of 5 shot groups of 2.8” and 4”. On the picture of the target, the top and bottom groups are factory ammo while the middle group is from my A-Max hand loads.

A-Max 200 group.jpg

200 yard target.jpg

My Opinion:
    First, in no way am I an expert on rifle barrels or chamber specifications or reamers. I got interested in the Grendel cartridge because it works in an AR-15 and delivers enough down range performance to let me hunt deer and hogs. I like the perceived versatility of the round for all around shooting with a variety of bullet weights. I understand that part of having that versatility revolves around the chamber design with the compound throat.
    I'm disappointed that my Liberty barrel, purchased from Midway under the “AR Stoner” brand, does not have the proper Grendel throat. Because of the short throat and bad bolt supplied with it, I could not safely shoot factory A-Max ammunition. While I'm glad that Satern offers to “scrape” or modify the throat to keep the bullet from contacting the lands, I would have preferred that the fix to correct the throat was such so that it produced a correct Grendel throat. I have read that Mark at PF has offered to fix these barrels so that they have a compound throat, its just that I've just decided to let Satern Machining do their work (with my shipping cost). If at the end of the day I have a barrel that will shoot the heavier pills with enough accuracy to hunt out to 300 yards or so, I'll consider this build successful. Right now it looks like that has been achieved, and I look forward to developing some accurate hunting loads for the rifle.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-02-2014, 07:54 PM.
  • Sojorboy
    Warrior
    • Nov 2011

Did they mark Grendel II on the barrel after the "scrape" ?

Comment

No, the external markings are unchanged.

Comment

Without the flier you would have had a real good group and only 18fps ES is real good.
        I bet you'll find a sub MOA group soon with some handloads that match the barrel harmonics.
        I'm having good luck using CFE powder with the 123's.

Comment

• BjornF16
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2011

Originally posted by driven View Post
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]4736[/ATTACH]

I have received my 18” Liberty barrel after having the throat scraped to safely accept factory ammunition, so it was reassembled, bedding the barrel with blue Loctite. The supplied bolt was also out of specification, so I'm due to get a replacement from Satern. In the meantime I'd ordered a second bolt from Underground Tactical. The Underground bolt is in spec. (of course) and workmanship looks great!

So I received my bolt on Saturday and quickly got my rifle and gear together to make it to the range before dark. Had to beat the winter storm due in Sunday, or it would be another week before I'd have a chance to test this build. In my haste I'd forgotten to bring my rifle rest, so I had to make due with shooting from the bench, off my range bag. Keep that in mind when looking over the accuracy results.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4731[/ATTACH]

Function and Operation:
          I ran 40 rounds of factory Hornady A-Max 123gr ammunition through the rifle. Fired brass did not exhibit any of the over pressure signs I'd seen before. No cratered or pierced primers! The primary focus of this report is on the factory A-Max ammo, but I also shot a variety of hand loads that were all loaded to published staring charge weights and C.O.L. since I want to start load development for hunting. I used the C Products Defense 25 round magazines loaded with 20 or less rounds for all strings of fire. Total round count was 70 rounds, and I'm happy to report that this rifle configuration functioned normally with no malfunctions.

A-Max Velocity:
          After firing a few rounds to verify things were working right, I shot five shot strings to chronograph velocities. My chronograph is the “Shooting Chrony” model, and I set it up about 10 feet from the muzzle. Temperature was 44 deg F.
          The Hornady A-Max showed: 2384, 2391, 2402, 2383, and 2401 with an average velocity of 2392 feet per second. Extreme spread is 18 fps.

100 Yard Accuracy:
          I shot a couple of 5 shot groups and a 10 shot group with the Hornady A-Max . Pictures of 5 and 10 shot groups are shown here. The 5 shot group was spoiled by a flier. Overall was 2.85” and the four together measured 1.1”.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4732[/ATTACH]

The 10 shot group exhibited vertical stringing. This group was shot with two strings of 5, so that may have had something to do with it. Remember that I'm just using my range bag to rest the forearm over. All 10 shots went into 3” total and the best five were right at an inch.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4735[/ATTACH]

My hand loads were of the Sierra 120gr. Pro Hunter, Hornady 123gr. A-Max, and Hornady 129gr. Interlock bullets. To keep the focus on the Hornady A-Max factory ammunition, I will only say that the hand loads exhibited accuracy that was more or less similar the factory ammo. No drastic shifts were observed.

200 Yard Accuracy:
          Moving to the maximum available yardage at my range, I put the factory A-Max into a couple of 5 shot groups of 2.8” and 4”. On the picture of the target, the top and bottom groups are factory ammo while the middle group is from my A-Max hand loads.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4734[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4733[/ATTACH]

My Opinion:
          First, in no way am I an expert on rifle barrels or chamber specifications or reamers. I got interested in the Grendel cartridge because it works in an AR-15 and delivers enough down range performance to let me hunt deer and hogs. I like the perceived versatility of the round for all around shooting with a variety of bullet weights. I understand that part of having that versatility revolves around the chamber design with the compound throat.
          I'm disappointed that my Liberty barrel, purchased from Midway under the “AR Stoner” brand, does not have the proper Grendel throat. Because of the short throat and bad bolt supplied with it, I could not safely shoot factory A-Max ammunition. While I'm glad that Satern offers to “scrape” or modify the throat to keep the bullet from contacting the lands, I would have preferred that the fix to correct the throat was such so that it produced a correct Grendel throat. I have read that Mark at PF has offered to fix these barrels so that they have a compound throat, its just that I've just decided to let Satern Machining do their work (with my shipping cost). If at the end of the day I have a barrel that will shoot the heavier pills with enough accuracy to hunt out to 300 yards or so, I'll consider this build successful. Right now it looks like that has been achieved, and I look forward to developing some accurate hunting loads for the rifle.
          Glad to see you have no further over pressure signs. As to accuracy, see my post with some more Grendel history: http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...9015#post89015
          LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
          Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• Sojorboy
            Warrior
            • Nov 2011

Thanks for the report and Welcome to the Grendel. Glad it worked out for u

Comment

Originally posted by BjornF16 View Post
              Glad to see you have no further over pressure signs. As to accuracy, see my post with some more Grendel history: http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...9015#post89015
              Interesting read, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by 45r View Post
                Without the flier you would have had a real good group and only 18fps ES is real good.
                I bet you'll find a sub MOA group soon with some handloads that match the barrel harmonics.
                I'm having good luck using CFE powder with the 123's.
                Yea, wish I'd at least remembered to pack a bi-pod before I ran off to the range! I'm sure I can work up a good load or two with this upper.

I forgot to mention that I did use JB Bore Bright before reassembly, paying particular attention to the throat area (but not the chamber). I wanted to smooth any burrs or imperfections in the bore as possible.
                Last edited by Guest; 03-02-2014, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Could you measure how far out you can seat the amax bullet after the scraping? A before and after C.O.A.L. would be helpful if you have the tools. I realize it's a little to late to get a before measurement.

Comment

Based on this, I would consider another source for reaming the throat if I had one of these. Before this, most of these barrels have shot really well, because there was no jump at all, but pressures were a problem in many, because of seating depth limitations outside of spec.

What if you could ream it, say with a crazy idea of a chamber that had some shallow leade, then a 1.5 degree leade? It would be the best of both worlds, right?
                    Call it a 6.5 Grendel or something. This is exactly the testing process that AA went through when developing the cartridge. For example, just in the last few weeks, we have seen .264 LBC chambers that shoot 123gr SMK, Scenar, and A-MAX amazingly (all sub-MOA 5rd groups), then 120gr NBT shoots 2".

We have seen short-throated guns shoot amazingly well, but seating depth is too short. We have now seen one of these barrels with the throat generously "scraped", and initial accuracy results seem to have opened a bit, although position and conditions may have been a factor.

Lower pressure cartridges don't do well with jump. They do great with shallow leade transition, which still leaves plenty of room for variances in projectile shape, without losing accuracy.

Comment

• BjornF16
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                      Based on this, I would consider another source for reaming the throat if I had one of these. Before this, most of these barrels have shot really well, because there was no jump at all, but pressures were a problem in many, because of seating depth limitations outside of spec.

What if you could ream it, say with a crazy idea of a chamber that had some shallow leade, then a 1.5 degree leade? It would be the best of both worlds, right?
                      Call it a 6.5 Grendel or something. This is exactly the testing process that AA went through when developing the cartridge. For example, just in the last few weeks, we have seen .264 LBC chambers that shoot 123gr SMK, Scenar, and A-MAX amazingly (all sub-MOA 5rd groups), then 120gr NBT shoots 2".

We have seen short-throated guns shoot amazingly well, but seating depth is too short. We have now seen one of these barrels with the throat generously "scraped", and initial accuracy results seem to have opened a bit, although position and conditions may have been a factor.

Lower pressure cartridges don't do well with jump. They do great with shallow leade transition, which still leaves plenty of room for variances in projectile shape, without losing accuracy.
                      See http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...9015#post89015
                      LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
                      Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

Originally posted by Ridz View Post
                        Could you measure how far out you can seat the amax bullet after the scraping? A before and after C.O.A.L. would be helpful if you have the tools. I realize it's a little to late to get a before measurement.
                        Here's a couple of post scrape measurements.

Now, I don't have the specific tools to measure where a bullet hits the lands, but I did settle on this method: Take your rifle and close the bolt, then seat a rod or dowel from the muzzle and mark it at the point where it is level with the the muzzle or muzzle device, and against the bolt. Next, take a sized case, with cuts in the case neck to ease neck tension, and insert the bullet into the case to a length where you think it will lodge into the lands. Carefully seat the case and bullet combo into the chamber and extract the case. The bullet should stay lodged in the lands. Take the same rod used before and measure the depth to the top of the bullet. Then measure the distance between the two marks on the rod - this should be your C.O.L with a bullet seated in the lands.

To verify, I then take my case and bullet and set it a couple of thousands back from my measurement. If the bullet comes out with the case I figure I've gotten the measurement right. Not exact, but I think it gets me close enough for my reloading needs.

Based on the description above, for A-Max 123gr bullets I see the "in the lands" measurement around 2.350". Since I'm interested in loading up some Hornady 129gr Interlock (secant ogive), I measured it at about 2.250"

Comment

Sounds like the 129 gr interlock could be seated to give a proper jump to lands when seated to magazine length, the 123gr Amax would have .100 jump. Am I interpreting this correctly, assuming 2.250 max oal?

Comment

Yes, the A-Max needs to jump 0.10" from a magazine. Not ideal.

Comment

• rasp65
                              Warrior
                              • Mar 2011

Driven Try this method starting at post #2 http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...jump-amp-crimp
                              You may not need to push the case out with the rod if the throat angle is steeper from scraping.

Comment

Working...
                              X