This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random Throat Thoughts

In the process of doing some research pertaining to correcting a short throat in two new barrels I've come across some interesting reading and have questions.

Why is this reamer marked "bolt gun only"? Looks like a compound throat to me. What makes it unsuitable for AR's?

Why are the reamers I find from the rental places all conventional throats? For example.

Would this throating reamer be the proper tool to lengthen a short throated barrel?

I realize I can send these barrels to Mark at PF but if possible I'd prefer to do it myself and learn something, perhaps how to turn a barrel into a tomato stake. I already know how to turn a computer into a brick. ��
    Last edited by Guest; 03-04-2014, 07:56 PM. Reason: Insert link
  • Walter
    Warrior
    • Jan 2013

The troating reamer would be about like Satern would do it. Mark would put a Grendel chamber with the compound throat. When I was at Marks we talked about doing it by hand. Mark said it would be better to put the barrel in a lathe, with fluid running thru it to cut it. If I were you I would Saturn or send it to Mark. Mark at PF has mine, I am sure it will be done right.

Comment

I'm not saying this is the best way to re-throat a barrel, but it sounds like any angle could be ground into the throating reamer, including I assume, a compound angle, ala AA Grendel.

From the PTG website...

"It is available in any caliber, with any throat angle you wish, and it is useful for any throating work you may require."

Comment

• waveslayer
        Warrior
        • Jan 2013

I sent mine to Satern last week and got notice today that it's on its way back here and will be delivered on Friday. It took them less then a week to get it scraped to the proper throat dimensions.

Comment

I can't even get Satern to call me back. I have had a barrel on order with them for two years.
          And I was being nice, and I own their barrels.

Comment

Originally posted by waveslayer View Post
            I sent mine to Satern last week and got notice today that it's on its way back here and will be delivered on Friday. It took them less then a week to get it scraped to the proper throat dimensions.
            That's the dilemma for me.... Would I end up with a throat with the proper specs, or something with a long freebore that is too long given the limitations of the magazine length.

Comment

• waveslayer
              Warrior
              • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Ridz View Post

That's the dilemma for me.... Would I end up with a throat with the proper specs, or something with a long freebore that is too long given the limitations of the magazine length.
              I will post an update once the barrel is here on Friday. I will let you guys know what they did...

Comment

• Lead Chucker

I have 2 Stoner barrels that need the throat reamed. I do believe I'll send mine to PF. I have a Satern cut barrel also, but this whole mess has left a really bad taste in my mouth for Satern. Im not sure I will be able to buy from them again.

Comment

• rasp65
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2011

Why is this reamer marked "bolt gun only"? Looks like a compound throat to me. What makes it unsuitable for AR's?

Would this throating reamer be the proper tool to lengthen a short throated barrel?

😳
                  Ridz AR are limited by magazine length for OAL, although you can single feed longer lengths the throats tend to be shorter. In a bolt you are also limited by the mag length but they tend to be more generous. So by seating the bullet out further you can squeeze a few extra fps out of your loads. That throating reamer would be the proper tool for doing it yourself and it may be the scraper that Saturn uses. Chucking the barrel in the lathe would be the best.

Comment

Rasp65'

Thanks for the reply.

I edited my original post as the link to the reamer drawing was omitted. This is the chamber I was referring to as marked for bolt guns only.

Comment

• explorecaves

Based on the conversations I have been reading, Saturn (and PTG) does not believe the throat is part of the spec. Therefor if you want to guarantee a true 6.5 Grendel SAAMI spec chamber, your best bet is to send it to PF for correction.

Comment

• Dave Bob
                        Bloodstained
                        • Dec 2013

Manson reamers

I've used Dave Manson's reamers for years and always had good luck with them. The sales staff is always pleasant and you can probably talk to Dave if you ask. If I were to get a Grendel reamer that's where I'd go. Has anyone here had a bad experience with Manson reamers?

Dave (not Manson)

Comment

Originally Posted by Ridz

That's the dilemma for me.... Would I end up with a throat with the proper specs, or something with a long freebore that is too long given the limitations of the magazine length. Based on the conversations I have been reading, Saturn (and PTG) does not believe the throat is part of the spec. Therefor if you want to guarantee a true 6.5 Grendel SAAMI spec chamber, your best bet is to send it to PF for correction.

That's like saying the engine is not part of car.
                          Last edited by Guest; 03-04-2014, 11:25 PM.

Comment

• BjornF16
                            Chieftain
                            • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Dave Bob View Post
                            I've used Dave Manson's reamers for years and always had good luck with them. The sales staff is always pleasant and you can probably talk to Dave if you ask. If I were to get a Grendel reamer that's where I'd go. Has anyone here had a bad experience with Manson reamers?

Dave (not Manson)
                            I'm boycotting anything PTG in the future...as a matter of fact, I just got MidwayUSA notification of PTG Upper Receiver lapping tool in stock...I'll pass.
                            LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
                            Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

The throat on my Liberty 18 inch barrel has gotten better since I received it.
                              123SST's stop at 2.250 COL and sierra 85HP's at 2.130 COL.
                              Lots of cleaning while breaking in the barrel.
                              It shoots sub MOA with both.
                              The 85's are very accurate.
                              Got some 95 V-maxs coming.
                              Dave Manson reamers are excellent.
                              Last edited by Guest; 03-08-2014, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X