• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BjornF16
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Tedward View Post
    OK, now those measurments make more sence to me. So your pre-SAAMI had more freebore like the LBC still does. When it went to SAAMI, is that when the change occurred? Does that mean the SAAMI Grendel changed and added the compound throat causing the shorter COAL? And if so then why do all of the other manufacture have a COAL closer to LBC? It seems as if there are just to many unknowns but the .055 is a big difference for sure, just wonder when it came about now. Right after SAAMI and nobody noticed or what, seems weird it just came out.
    Tedward,

I'm trying to be patient with you...I'm not sure how much of the pre-SAAMI history you understand.

AA very tightly controlled the pre-SAAMI Grendel chamber/throat and required any barrel maker/chamberer to sign a licensing agreement that included conforming to AA's specification. AA even dictated which reamer to use and proof of a current license was required in order to get the reamer. AA also owned the trademark for "Grendel".

Most of the barrels went to AA direct. In the case of Satern, the license agreement included his ability to sell some of his barrels direct to public (but they still needed to conform to tight Grendel spec).

When AA and Satern had a falling out over their licensing agreement, Satern had a small amount of time to sell off their barrels on hand (iirc, on order of several months). They still needed to conform to AA's Grendel spec since they were being sold as a trademarked "Grendel".

It was this timeframe that I purchased my Satern barrels. BTW, my AA upper's 129 SST COAL roughly matches my Satern barrel's 129 SST COAL.

Once Saterns' license was expired, they went to .264 LBC chambering.

Then, Grendel was SAAMI'd and the trademark relinquished. Satern began selling "Grendels" again.

My pre-SAAMI Grendels are to AA's spec...which happens to be the SAAMI spec.

So if current Satern chambers have a short throat, what does that tell you? (Hint: Not that my Saterns are long throated like an .264 LBC)
    LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
    Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• Tedward
      Banned
      • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Sputnik View Post
      Was this the same barrel you checked with the gooey stuff on the 123 Amax/SST grain bullet? If so, maybe you may want to edit/update your posts on this forum and the other forum; as it has served; and is being used for finger pointing ammunition against your AA chamber as being out of spec too. I bet it is nice to be relieved that your AA barrel is what you thought it was when you bought it.
      Yes same barrel but they locked the thrend and I found the information on post #111 but can't undo it. I read BjornF16's comment right after I posted that and he was dead on, dirty barrel. Also bwaites and JASmiths had good responses and questions, then the comments started. Since there was so much dodo slinging, bwaites closed the trend and I was glad. If I could I would, so I'm putting it out there now.

And also my comment 113 in the same thread, seems like I was pretty darn close but nobody read it for what it was worth.. my quote- "I am more so thinking that the other manufactures are doing like it has been insinuated, using the high side of Saami or the .264LBC. "

Mark just said it tonight, he has his reamers made toward the plus side Quote "4. Our Reamers are TRUE SAAMI SPEC with a high of middle of the tolerance for throat length."

I might have used different words but this is what I was saying and have thought this for weeks.
      Last edited by Tedward; 03-07-2014, 03:26 AM.

Comment

• Tedward
        Banned
        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by BjornF16 View Post
        Tedward,

I'm trying to be patient with you...I'm not sure how much of the pre-SAAMI history you understand.

AA very tightly controlled the pre-SAAMI Grendel chamber/throat and required any barrel maker/chamberer to sign a licensing agreement that included conforming to AA's specification. AA even dictated which reamer to use and proof of a current license was required in order to get the reamer. AA also owned the trademark for "Grendel".

Most of the barrels went to AA direct. In the case of Satern, the license agreement included his ability to sell some of his barrels direct to public (but they still needed to conform to tight Grendel spec).

When AA and Satern had a falling out over their licensing agreement, Satern had a small amount of time to sell off their barrels on hand (iirc, on order of several months). They still needed to conform to AA's Grendel spec since they were being sold as a trademarked "Grendel".

It was this timeframe that I purchased my Satern barrels. BTW, my AA upper's 129 SST COAL roughly matches my Satern barrel's 129 SST COAL.

Once Saterns' license was expired, they went to .264 LBC chambering.

Then, Grendel was SAAMI'd and the trademark relinquished. Satern began selling "Grendels" again.

My pre-SAAMI Grendels are to AA's spec...which happens to be the SAAMI spec.

So if current Satern chambers have a short throat, what does that tell you? (Hint: Not that my Saterns are long throated like an .264 LBC)
        I understand all of that. You got one of the older Satern barrels. Once it went SAAMI, AA had no control and who knows what is a Grendel anymore.

Comment

Working...
        X