• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joseph5
    Warrior
    • Oct 2012

Lilja Barrels

I ordered an AR24 pattern, fluted, 6.5 Grendel barrel on 1/29/14. I was originally quoted 14 weeks due to the first production run from the group buy selling out so fast and the next one not being scheduled until April. I could live with that. Just got the invoice yesterday. The barrel is shipping today! That was the shortest 14 weeks I have ever had to wait :^) I already have the rest of the rifle and I just need to do some polishing on the bolt and get some ammunition loaded for break in. Did anyone that got a Lilja barrel do their break in with CFE 223 loaded shells? I emailed Dan about it and he has not used any yet so he could offer no advice as far as the cleaning schedule for breaking in the barrel. I am in the beginnings of moving so I will eventually get some pictures taken. Joseph
  • montana
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

I used XBR 8208 reloads when breaking in my barrel. Following Lilja's barrel break in instructions, cleaning copper build up has eased substantially after long periods of shooting compared to my other Grendel barrels. Keep an eye on your cleaning patches during break in and you will notice the copper bluing begin to diminish.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
      Chieftain
      • May 2012

The lapped lija barrel should not require much in the way of break in, and considering the amount of cleaning involve with most break in procedures the powder you uses hold not mater, if anything having less fouling should make it a simpler process
      Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• Joseph5
        Warrior
        • Oct 2012

I was going to follow the break-in/cleaning cycle that Lilja recommends, I was just curious how CFE223 would simplify the process, just because it is advertised to eliminate fouling doesn't mean I will accept that claim as gospel until I see it first hand for myself. I have used Tetra Gun products for many years and it has lived up to it's claims of reduced fouling/smaller groups/increased velocity in the rifles I have. I like anything that simplifies and or speeds up cleaning. After 6 years of cleaning rifles until the finish was coming off while in the Army I try to do it as little as possible now and only when necessary. Joseph

Comment

• montana
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2011

Barrel break in helps with copper fouling not carbon fouling.

Comment

• HuntTXhogs
            Warrior
            • Jan 2014

Originally posted by montana View Post
            Barrel break in helps with copper fouling not carbon fouling.
            LOL -

CFE stands for COPPER fouling eraser not carbon fouling eraser.

OP has a good question however the only way to answer it would be to rely on the marketing/advertising fromn Hogdon that it performs like they say it does...

Comment

• Joseph5
              Warrior
              • Oct 2012

That is why I was going to use it for the first 20 shots during break in. The next 20 shots with a different powder will show me what kind of fowling I will be dealing with which should be slim to none hopefully. If the CFE works as advertised then it would speed up the cleaning during break in, shortening the amount of time needed to do it. In my Olympic 5.56 which usually only gets the bore cleaned really good every 800 to 1000 shots I have some copper fowling but not enough to degrade accuracy. I use the foaming bore cleaner on it. The first use comes out very blue but the second one an hour later is usually clear so I don't think the copper fowling is to bad in it.

Comment

• montana
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2011

Copper fouling occurs when microscopic burs , "even with a lapped barrel" catch the jacket of a bullet as it passes through the bore. When you follow the barrel break in procedure you completely clean and brush out all copper and carbon fouling between each shot. What copper reducing advantage the CFE would have is scrubbed away between each proceeded shot. As you break in a barrel you will notice an improvement of less copper bluing on your patches as the microscopic burs are smoothed away. This is why the powder being used during break in is a moot point. After break in it is a different game. In fact Lilja claims carbon fouling is an aid to consistent accuracy.

Comment

• Joseph5
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2012

I will report on how it goes. I have new bore mops, patches, and brushes just for this break-in. Not sure when I will have a chance to get the barrel on and the shooting done though. Moving is so much fun.

Comment

Working...
                  X