• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • waveslayer
    Warrior
    • Jan 2013

Satern Barrel returned, New OAL measurements

Well guys I sent my barrel back to Satern and in 1 week it's back in my hands. Here are my OAL's using a Hornady Comparator. All measurements are .003 off the lands

Old:
    123 AMAX= 1.647
    123 SST = 1. 643
    120 SMK = 1.677
    New:
    123 AMAX = 1. 758
    123 SST = 1.757
    120 SMK = 1.765

Looks like they scraped a lot out of the throat. Glad because the max OAL without the Comparator I was getting 2.225 with the Hornady bullets and 2.189 with the SMK's.

just thought you guys would like to know what they did and I am appreciative of how they handled my situation.
  • stevegun 1

How was it shooting before and now after?

Comment

Originally posted by waveslayer View Post
      Well guys I sent my barrel back to Satern and in 1 week it's back in my hands. Here are my OAL's using a Hornady Comparator. All measurements are .003 off the lands

Old:
      123 AMAX= 1.647
      123 SST = 1. 643
      120 SMK = 1.677
      New:
      123 AMAX = 1. 758
      123 SST = 1.757
      120 SMK = 1.765

Looks like they scraped a lot out of the throat. Glad because the max OAL without the Comparator I was getting 2.225 with the Hornady bullets and 2.189 with the SMK's.

just thought you guys would like to know what they did and I am appreciative of how they handled my situation.
      Looks pretty close to .100-.110 freebore. Could you convert those to COAL to give everyone an idea of how they work in a mag?

Comment

• waveslayer
        Warrior
        • Jan 2013

I haven't shot it yet. Just built it last night. Need to make some rounds to do an OCW test. I will update this once I have an idea of the accuracy. I will also convert it to mag length tonight

Comment

I fine tuned my best load with the 123SST to 31 grains CFE with rem primers and a COL of 2.237.
          Consistant sub MOA groups at 2460 FPS average with ES in the teens.
          CFE works great with the 123's.
          I like a 10 to 15 thou jump and that COL gives me 10 thou on my chamber which was left alone.
          Looks like you can go out to mag length with yours.

Comment

• waveslayer
            Warrior
            • Jan 2013

I finally got to shoot my new Satern Barrel, here are the pics. I did a OCW test, no Chrono. It was too early in the morning for it to work and the magnetospeed has such a major POI change that it is not worth it for load development. I had pressure signs at 31.7 of CFE with 123 SST. COAL was 1.678 with the comparator on.

I think my loads with 31.4 and 31 look like they will work!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

• adrenaline junkie

Nice. Glad its working out for you. Groups look good.

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
                Warrior
                • Apr 2013

Apparently lost in the shuffle, here, but still begging to be asked is the big question: Can anyone provide a photo of a group(s) fired at 100 yards from an AR-Stoner barrel stamped "6.5 GRENDEL 1-8 5R", with a properly-machined compound throat; i.e., one allowing factory-loaded Hornady 123-grain A-MAX/SST ammunition to be loaded into the chamber, without jamming the bullet into the lands? Then, we would have the basis for a proper comparison.

Comment

• Tedward
                  Banned
                  • Feb 2013

Originally posted by SHORT-N-SASSY View Post
                  Apparently lost in the shuffle, here, but still begging to be asked is the big question: Can anyone provide a photo of a group(s) fired at 100 yards from an AR-Stoner barrel stamped "6.5 GRENDEL 1-8 5R", with a properly-machined compound throat; i.e., one allowing factory-loaded Hornady 123-grain A-MAX/SST ammunition to be loaded into the chamber, without jamming the bullet into the lands? Then, we would have the basis for a proper comparison.
                  I guess you missed the post by gjpollman. 2 different people with factory Ammo 3/4" and 5/8" groups.
                  They both know how to shoot and those are the first Grendel Groups they have shot.
                  Last edited by Tedward; 03-12-2014, 11:54 AM.

Comment

• Lead Chucker

[URL=http://s1224.photobucket.com/user/country888/media/1394449990_zps20be3dd9.jpg.html][/URL
                    Here is a pic of a stoner barrel group that is factory chamber NO scraping. 7 shots at 100yrds with 123gn Amax OAL of 2.245 with 31gn of CFE. I know its not factory ammo but they will shoot.

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
                      Warrior
                      • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Tedward View Post
                      I guess you missed the post by gjpollman. 2 different people with factory Ammo 3/4" and 5/8" groups.
                      They both know how to shoot and those are the first Grendel Groups they have shot.
                      Tedward, I did in fact miss the 2/25/2014 Range day with factory A-MAX Report, by gjpollman. Thank you for alerting me to his Post.

From his input, it would appear that his chamber had a properly-machined throat: no mention of the short-throat, high pressure indicators reported by others.

I look forward to his chronograph report with the factory A-MAX load.

Comment

• Tedward
                        Banned
                        • Feb 2013

That is true. I sold him his barrel and the one to the second report I posted from Henderson (name on the 5/8" group). I do know these chambers have the tight fit so if you use a bolt without an extractor to lock in a factory round by hand, then remove the bolt, the round does not just fall out. You will need to tap it easily and they come out. Or use a bolt with the extractor and the come out fine. That is how the Liberty Grendel Barrels are.
                        As for people who had bullets get stuck and the case pulled off the pill when the extractor pulled the case back, that is a different issue of the really short throat issue.

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
                          Warrior
                          • Apr 2013

. . . I do know these chambers have the tight fit so if you use a bolt without an extractor to lock in a factory round by hand, then remove the bolt, the round does not just fall out. You will need to tap it easily and they come out. Or use a bolt with the extractor and the come out fine. That is how the Liberty Grendel Barrels are. . . .
                          Tedward, when you remove these factory rounds, by either method you've described, above, do the bullets exhibit rifling land abrasions, as shown here ?

Comment

• Tedward
                            Banned
                            • Feb 2013

I just got my Blue Dykem as recommended by other members to accurately and visually check the fit. I also ordered my Hornady comparator that is used for accurate COAL measuring. I hope to be able and make all of these checks this weekend.
                            Visually I have not seen marks like those caused by my barrels in the past so hopefully the Dykem will work as planned and I can see all of the contact points.

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
                              Warrior
                              • Apr 2013

I just got my Blue Dykem as recommended by other members to accurately and visually check the fit. I also ordered my Hornady comparator that is used for accurate COAL measuring. I hope to be able and make all of these checks this weekend.
                              Visually I have not seen marks like those caused by my barrels in the past so hopefully the Dykem will work as planned and I can see all of the contact points.
                              Looking forward to your definitive Report. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X