• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PrecisionFirearms
    Warrior
    • Apr 2011

Thoughts and reviews on 1-9 Twist Grendel Barrels

We have a option to purchase a large quantity of 6.5 Barrels with 1-9 Twist. These are left overs from the company that made them for Sabre Defence. Before buying these I am wondering how many folks would be interested in these. The cost will be in the neighborhood of $350. Available as 20,22,24 inch Heavy Bull Barrel. Fluting available for $140

Has anyone has experience with 1-9 Twist?

Mark Hostetter
    Precision Firearms
    "Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."
  • KentuckyBuddha
    Warrior
    • Oct 2012

Many of us have. It is a fine choice for going from 85-123gr. If I recall correctly, it is the rate Bill Recommended after boat loads of research.

Comment

Are those 410 stainless?

Comment

• cory
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2012

I think it's Bwild who swears by it, and he has data for up to the 140gr projectiles to back it up.

I believe I remember one member having problems stabilizing the barnes solids with that twist, but I think his barrel was a sub 20". Don't quote me on the barrel length though.
        "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

I have two 1:9 twist 6.5 Grendel barrels, a Shilen 20" and a J&T 16". I have shot 85, 90, 95, 100, 120 and 123 grain bullets in the 16" with excellent results. All I have shot in my Shilen are 123 grain and both barrels can out shoot my ability.

From my reading it appears the Winchester 264 Magnum uses a 1:9 twist with loads from 85 grains to at least 140 grains.

I wouldn't hesitate buying another 1:9 twist 6.5 Grendel as both my 1:9 twist have kept bullets stable to 800 yards.

Comment

• PrecisionFirearms
            Warrior
            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
            Are those 410 stainless?
            yes they are.
            "Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."

Comment

• ThatRandomGuy
              Bloodstained
              • Dec 2013

As long as PF was willing to confirm correct chambers, I'd be interested

Comment

• Tedward
                Banned
                • Feb 2013

The Shilen's at Midway are 1/9 twist.

Reading Shilen's site the other night too. The do not recommend to flute barrels, but just another companies opinion I guess. Whats your take on this:

What about "fluting" a barrel?
                Fluting is a service we neither offer nor recommend. If you have a Shilen barrel fluted, the warranty is void. Fluting a barrel can induce unrecoverable stresses that will encourage warping when heated and can also swell the bore dimensions, causing loose spots in the bore. A solid (un-fluted) barrel is more rigid than a fluted barrel of equal diameter. A fluted barrel is more rigid than a solid barrel of equal weight. All rifle barrels flex when fired. Accuracy requires that they simply flex the same and return the same each time they are fired, hence the requirement for a pillar bedded action and free floating barrel. The unrecoverable stresses that fluting can induce will cause the barrel to flex differently or not return from the flexing without cooling down a major amount. This is usually longer than a shooter has to wait for the next shot. The claim of the flutes helping to wick heat away faster is true, but the benefit of the flutes is not recognizable in this regard until the barrel is already too hot.

Comment

• rickOshay
                  Warrior
                  • Apr 2012

Originally posted by cory View Post
                  I believe I remember one member having problems stabilizing the barnes solids with that twist, but I think his barrel was a sub 20". Don't quote me on the barrel length though.
                  I had problems with the 140 gr NBT's in my 16" Shaw (J&T) barrel. Poor accuracy at 100 yards.

But then, I don't see the need to shoot 140 grain projectiles in a Grendel.

Comment

• lilharcher
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2013

I have a 20" fluted, 410 stainless, 1-9 twist, Sabre defense grendel barrel.......chambered properly and takes type II bolt. It is a shooter! I will try to post some pics this weekend.

Comment

I believe that MrSurgicalPrecision on youtube-all the videos he shot were with a sabre defense barrel. Looked like it shot pretty good to me. I never heard anything bad about sabre's barrels when they were in business. Only there other business in the media and such. But i believe it would be quality stuff. Ive used lots of fluted barrels and never had any problem with them. Fluting it also creates more surface area which also helps strengthen the barrel. Most manufacturers like to do the fluting thereselves to make sure that its done right with the stress relieving and what not. Some will not warranty a barrel unless they do the fluting thereselves. But looking at what ive seen from Precision Firearms im sure you could get one fluted from them with no worries. I have never had a barrel with crappy accuracy with fluting. Is it necessary not really. Its more of an aesthetic eye candy for pleasing the eye and sure looks sweet. But realistically i dont think any of us are going to be really utilizing the fluting because none of us are going to go and rambo out one of our grendel barrels with some rapid fire and some spray and pray lol. Well some might i guess lol.
                      Last edited by Guest; 03-12-2014, 09:09 PM.

Comment

• poli
                        Bloodstained
                        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by kamrr4437 View Post
                        Fluting it also creates more surface area which also helps strengthen the barrel.
                        This is a very good video explaining fluted vs. non-fluted barrels: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSMwCXO2gbU

Comment

• Drifter
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Reference this quote:

Originally posted by Bill Alexander View Post
                          It is our conclusion that the 9 twist offers the best solution for the Grendel for barrels of 20" and longer while the 18" and shorter barrels thrive on 7.5 twist.
                          Link to source with more details:

Looking at having a barrel custom made and was wondering whats the best twist rate for the Grendel. I shoot pretty much everything under 130gr.'s, but i'd like to get get good accuracy from heavier bullets as well. Any suggestions?
                          Drifter

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                            Administrator
                            • Feb 2011

What if one promised — Scout's Honor — to shoot only 123gr and below in a 14.5" or 16" 6.5 Grendel barrel? Could one, then, get by with a 1:9 instead of 1:7.5?

This only assumes that there'd be a velocity advantage to the 1:9 in that short of a barrel, which may actually be an unfounded assumption.

John
                            :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

I think stability factor is the main consideration here. Shorter barrels need a tighter twist to keep the pill spinning optimally due to less mv.

Higher mv keeps the stab factor higher.

Comment

Working...
                              X