• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • arnie
    Warrior
    • Nov 2013

Brownells upper lapping tool

I see there back in stock if any one is interested .
  • arnie
    Warrior
    • Nov 2013

080-000-182

Comment

Anyone have the measurements on their lapping tool. Looks like a good project for the lathe. Thanks

Richard

Comment

Originally posted by ricsmall View Post
        Anyone have the measurements on their lapping tool. Looks like a good project for the lathe. Thanks

Richard
        I had the same thought, but recently sold my lathe. If you make one make two, I'd be happy to pay you for one. PM me if interested.

Mic the bolt carrier and mic the od of the receiver threads.

Comment

From this thread: http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...the-AR15/page7

Comment

• NugginFutz
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

That 1.00" OD is actually smaller - 0.998". (My calipers were off or the tool was not adequately cleaned)
            If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

Thanks a lot guys for the measurements. Whelenon, I'll have my lathe mid April to early May, I'll whip out a few of these. I'll do some checking on the exact steel to use for this. Thanks again guys.

Richard

Edit: whelenon, what lathe did u get rid of? Just curious. I've been entrenched in the lathe and tooling stuff for last few months, just ordered mine bout a month ago. This is what I have coming. Looked for old American steel for about year and gave up.

Last edited by Guest; 03-13-2014, 04:52 PM. Reason: Add info and link

Comment

• rasp65
                Warrior
                • Mar 2011

RS The one I bought from Brownells is fairly soft steel. The chuck from the drill left marks where it connected to the tool. So some mild steel round bar would probably work well.

Comment

Originally posted by ricsmall View Post
                  Thanks a lot guys for the measurements. Whelenon, I'll have my lathe mid April to early May, I'll whip out a few of these. I'll do some checking on the exact steel to use for this. Thanks again guys.

Richard

Edit: whelenon, what lathe did u get rid of? Just curious. I've been entrenched in the lathe and tooling stuff for last few months, just ordered mine bout a month ago. This is what I have coming. Looked for old American steel for about year and gave up.

http://www.machinetoolonline.com/ima...1236-Front.jpg
                  A small South Bend I inherited from an uncle. It was too small to do what I wanted(barrel work and threading), mostly sat idle so it had to go, used the money to build my second AR and a Walther PPQ for the wife(actually for me).
                  Last edited by Guest; 03-14-2014, 02:20 PM.

Comment

• dmsims21
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2012

Brownel's should combine the Lapping Tool with the Extension Torque Tool.
                    Just extend the lapping tool body, add the teeth on the end, then replace the nub for chucking in a drill with a 1/2" socket.
                    www.FriendsvillePrecision.com - AR15 Dry Fire Device

Comment

• NugginFutz
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2013

I would have a hard time coming up with a drill or driver for a lapping tool which used a 1/2" square drive. Ratchet wrenches or the like just wouldn't have the RPM needed to do an efficient job of lapping, by my way of thinking. I like your thinking, but I guess I'm too lazy for such a modification to be attractive to me.
                      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• dmsims21
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2012

You can get one of these.

1/2" drive for a drill.

They could also tap a hole in the bottom of the socket. You could thread in a bolt or flex shaft like the Wheeler lapping tool.

Comment

• dmsims21
                          Warrior
                          • Nov 2012

You can get one of these.

1/2" drive for a drill.

They could also tap a hole in the bottom of the socket. You could thread in a bolt or flex shaft like the Wheeler lapping tool.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                            Chieftain
                            • Aug 2013

Ok, so you are still chucking up the drill on an adaptor for a square drive. I don't see the gain, personally. My lapping tool works beautifully, so I'll stick with the Mark I design.

Keep those gears turning, though. As I like to say, "Invention is the mother of necessity", or something like that.

Comment

• dmsims21
                              Warrior
                              • Nov 2012

The only advantage is you only have to buy one tool for lapping receivers and installing barrels.

Comment

Working...
                              X