• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • outlaw45
    Warrior
    • Sep 2012

First time out with my Grendel

Finally ready to shoot my Grendel and zero my scope. I was shooting factory Hornday 123 A-max. I a have a Syrac adjustable gas block so I needed to adjust that too. I fired one round until the bolt would lock back. Once it did that I opened it a half turn more. During this progression I noticed the case mouths started to get dented or bent when they were ejected. Is this normal for the Grendel?

Also I was using an Alexander Arms 10 round magazine. I noticed the follower wouldn't always catch the bolt stop and push up to lock the bolt back. Compared to another magazine AR-Stoner that I have the AA mag has more play in the follower forward and backwards. If the follower is pushed forward in the mag the bolt stop won't be caught and the bolt closes. I think its a bad magazine. I have 2 more AR-Stoner mags to compare to, but haven't fired them in the gun yet.
  • CPT.CRAZY
    Warrior
    • Feb 2012

Not sure on the mag, it looks like a bad mag to me, I've had no problems with the AR Stoner mags. The bent cases can be caused by slight under gas assuming your upper has a shell deflector.
    sigpic

Comment

• NugginFutz
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

You can do what many others have, and stick some velcro (fuzzy half) to the deflector. A search for ejector spring tuning will show you another option, as well, but this method demands your careful attention and the potential need for a spare ejector/takedown detent spring.

If you are still slightly under gassed, it can result in your failure to lock back, as well. Opening the gas block a bit more just might clear that up.
      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• outlaw45
        Warrior
        • Sep 2012

I thought I would be over gassed if I was getting dented necks.

Comment

You can dial down the gas some, but I wouldn't recommend it, especially in Iowa, where the temp shift covers a wide range throughout the year. I have never been bothered by dented mouths, as they resize the same.

How does she shoot?

Comment

• waveslayer
            Warrior
            • Jan 2013

place a piece of Velcro on the brass deflector, that will solve it, I had the same issue once upon a time.

Comment

• rebelsoul
              Warrior
              • Jan 2014

Outlaw, I had a bolt catch that was to short nosed. Can you compare yours to another unit?
              "When you have to shoot... Shoot! Don't talk." Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez a.k.a. "The Rat".

Comment

• outlaw45
                Warrior
                • Sep 2012

I didn't know if that was normal for dented mouths or not. I'll try a little more gas but otherwise if should be ok to run.

I'll compare the bolt catch to another. I also replaced the follower with another and it looks better. Have yet try it.
                Last edited by outlaw45; 04-08-2014, 04:49 AM.

Comment

• outlaw45
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2012

Second time out with the with the Grendel. Shooting factory Hornday 123 A-max I shot this 5 shot group, the last one I pulled cause I was getting excited it was so good.

Still working with the adjustable gas block.

Comment

• jawbone
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2012

"the last one I pulled cause I was getting excited it was so good."
                    I know the feeling. love it.

Comment

• Blacklab
                      Warrior
                      • Mar 2012

Dam!!!! that's my tee fine.
                      Hey I'm not a complete idiot I have parts missing. Though some times I wonder.

Grendellizing predators as of the fall of 2012.

Small bullets that go really fast, make me giggle...........

Comment

Working...
                      X