• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PA_Allen
    Warrior
    • Mar 2011

SLR gas block success

I recently replaced my existing gas block with a new SLR Sentry 7 clamp on gas block on my 16" MLG AR-Stoner (Liberty) barrel.

The existing gas port size in the barrel was around 0.088 - 0.090". The SLR sentry block has 15 click adjustable settings from completely closed to wide open. SLR's directions indicates that most 16" carbines (5.56 I suppose) are happy running 5 to 7 clicks from fully closed.

The load I started with was a 123 gr SST with 28 gr. of XBR 8208. Following SLR's lead I started off 5 clicks from closed with one round in the chamber and an empty mag. The first shot partially locked the bolt back, but the bolt was held open by the mag follower, not the bolt stop. 6 clicks locked the bolt completely back. I opened the port one more click to 7 clicks and fired a couple more rounds. The bolt locked back nicely and the case heads looked pristine, with no signs of early unlocking.
    I then tried another load, 100 NBT with 30 gr. of XBR 8208. The bolt locked back and also cycled rounds from the mag with the same 7 click setting.
    I didn't have time to play any more, but I think I have a good starting setting.
    I have a TBAC 30BA suppressor that's still "in jail." As soon as I can take possession I'll try adjusting the gas block (if necessary) to see what setting works well suppressed. Maybe I'll get lucky and find one sweet spot for both.
    I am very pleased with the quality of the SLR block. Maybe some other Grendel owners will find this useful and can post their gas block settings.
    Best,
    PA_Allen
  • montana
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

I replaced most of my AR rifles with the SLR and Syrac gas blocks . I just received my SLR Sentry gas block for my latest build and it looks like the best one yet. The adjustable gas blocks are the reason I dumped my gas pistons and can recommend them without hesitation, top quality all around. I'm glad to hear your SLR gas block works as well as mine have.

Comment

• txgunner00
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

I have one of their older models and it has worked well. Seeing this makes me want one of the new ones.
      NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

I've been using them for awhile and have gotten better accuracy out of rifles that didn't shoot as well as I thought they should. two of them in case the groups shrunk in half..

Comment

Will they fit in a MI keymod free float handguard.
          Not much room inside them and their Gen 2 series.

Comment

• SG4247
            Warrior
            • Aug 2013

IMG_2787[1].jpg

I have the old style and the new style Sentry both. Both used on Large frame AR.

Excellent blocks, great adjustability, I just wish they didnt leak gas from the adjustment screw. Leaves carbon tracks on the barrel.
            NRA F-Class Mid Range High Master

Comment

• montana
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2011

rifle.jpgIMG_0791[1].jpgIMG_0732.jpg
              Originally posted by 45r View Post
              Will they fit in a MI keymod free float handguard.
              Not much room inside them and their Gen 2 series.
              The camo 20" rifle has a DA7-C gas block on it( 1.48"). It was the tallest of the gas blocks compared to the DA-7 screw gas block (1.45") or the Sentry 7 (1.40") which is the shortest. They all fit under my MI hand guards with out touching. I have not had any gas leaking problems with mine. Hope this answers your question.

Comment

I'll get a sentry next since they will fit.
                I had to file and stone some off the bottom of a regular BTE adjustable GB with my keymod.
                It works well and low priced.
                Nice looking rifles.
                The third looks very good.
                I'd like to get mine done in camo before hunting season.

Comment

• COTNTOP
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2011

Not trying to change subject but have any of you guys used SLR handguards. The barrel nut sounds like a neat idea. THANKS

Comment

• montana
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2011

Originally posted by COTNTOP View Post
                    Not trying to change subject but have any of you guys used SLR handguards. The barrel nut sounds like a neat idea. THANKS
                    I just received a 15" solo series keymod handguard and another sentry clamp on gas block for another rifle build I will work on when my work season slows down. It looks great , very high quality like their gas blocks.

Comment

• PrecisionFirearms
                      Warrior
                      • Apr 2011

We use SLR gas blocks and handguards and recommend them without hesitation.
                      "Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."

Comment

Working...
                      X