• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hattrick
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2014

scope mounts

Looking to order a match grade grendel with 18" barrel more than likely it will be topped with a vortex scope unless I find a good deal on a used nightforce somewhere. My question is will normal mounts get me to a 1000?
  • NugginFutz
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Hattrick View Post
    Looking to order a match grade grendel with 18" barrel more than likely it will be topped with a vortex scope unless I find a good deal on a used nightforce somewhere. My question is will normal mounts get me to a 1000?
    That all depends on how many MOA/MIL your future scope will allow in elevation.

Here is a thread with the subject well covered...

I've decided to get the Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP for my new build; I will be shooting it out to 1,000. Will I need a base with added MOA? (SS 10X is on there as interim glass)

(Search is your friend)
    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Joseph5
      Warrior
      • Oct 2012

I have a Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16 FFP with the XLR reticle. For my elevation above sea level, 4500 feet, I need 30 MOA elevation to get to 1000 yards according to the Hornady website. The scope has 32 MOA of elevation in its reticle so depending on your elevation and what you are shooting a slanted base may or may not be needed. I am thinking you will need one in Maryland.

Comment

• aclark
        Warrior
        • Dec 2011

The thing is after you sight your scope you are most likely not in the absolute center, making it probably more like 25 +/- MOA of elevation when its said and done. Also, some scopes are known not to operated at 100% when you get to the outer range of the adjustment. If you're looking to go out to 1k, it would probably be beneficial to get a 20MOA base.

Comment

• cst
          Warrior
          • Jan 2014

I put the 20moa American Defense Recon on mine....I have a Nightforce 2.5-10. I have 22mils up from 100 zero. My buddy has the same mount but flat with his Vortex 2.5-10 with his 5.56 Seekins...he has 11.3 mils up from 100 zero.

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

With an 18" barrel I'd look at a 20 MOA mount. I bought an Aadamount to use with my Vortex Viper and 20" Shilen barrel. I'm at 450' ASL and this combo works great.

Comment

Working...
            X