finally built, first time shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finally built, first time shooting

FINALLY got everything together so took a long lunch to get it sighted in today.

This is at 100 yards.

I was low and left so adjusted but not far enough yet. I only brought 20 rounds (Hornady 123gr SST) with me so will get out to continue enjoying the Grendel in the next week or so.

The only problem I had...
    The first three rounds did not fire on the first try but the firing pin hit the primer, albeit very lightly. They all fired on the 2nd try. I switched to a different magazine and never had any issues after that.

Could the magazine cause that kind of thing to happen? If so, how?
    The one that appeared to have an issue was from Ammunition Storage Components and the one that worked fine was an AR Stoner from Midway.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-06-2014, 09:08 PM.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I doubt if it was the magazine causing the light primer strike. You didn't mention the brand of barrel and bolt. The bolt may have not been completely in battery thereby creating only a slight dimple on the primer. I've seen AR's that are pretty tight when new which might lead to not going completely in battery.

Comment

The barrel is a Satern that was sent in for throat adjustment at Precision Firearms. During that time, I had Mark include a Nickel Boron BCG with the Super Match bolt.

I did notice that with my ACE Skeleton stock (spongy material covering it) that the charging handle rubs against the spongy party and doesn't push back in very well on its own. Perhaps it was due to that situation, when charging by hand, that it was an issue. I became aware of it so was more likely to address that as I shot more. I'll try out the other magazine when I go out to shoot it again.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
        Chieftain
        • May 2012

Light primer strikes are probably a combo of thick primers and light springs what's your trigger set up
        Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

Ordered a standard LPK with a 4lb trigger job.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
            Chieftain
            • May 2012

to get a standard parts kit trigger down to 4# there was probably a lighter hammer spring used, replace your hammer spring and see what happens
            Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

Are you sure your hammer spring isnt in backwards? No offense intended, but I had a buddy do that on one of his builds. Caused intermittent light strikes.

Comment

No, I'm not sure actually.
                No offense taken at all. I was at the shop and the guy behind the counter "helped" put it together.
                I'll definitely keep that in mind if it starts happening again.

Comment

Working...
                X