• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Klem
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Complete Gun Tax?

Came across this 10% extra being charged by Arsenal Democracy for their Frankenguns (Seekins upper and lower stamped with their brand). They call it a Complete Gun Tax and say it goes to the Government.

Has anyone come across this tax before?

See fine print near the bottom of the page;
  • arizona98tj
    Bloodstained
    • Feb 2013

Here is the link to the BATFE form a company fills out when the make a firearm and sell it. According to the form, the tax on a rifle is 11%. I guess you are getting a bargain.

Oops! We can't find the file.We're sorry, but the page you're looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.To find the page you need, you may want to:

Comment

• Variable
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Yes. There is an 11% Federal Excise tax on complete long guns. Back in my old gun show days we used to sell complete lowers and complete uppers (that I assembled) as seperate items. You pushed the pins yourself.

It's usually already folded in to the price from companies. A lot of times you can spot it though. Just price a complete lower plus a complete upper.

Example: Go to AA's site and price a 16" lightweight Grendel.

"Complete Tactical Lower" = $484.00

"Lightweight 16" Complete Grendel Upper" = $1017.00

Push two pins and you have a 16" Lightweight Grendel for $1501.00

Order the rifle complete and it'll cost you $1765.00 instead. There's your unadvertised 11% tax, plus some more profit, and a really expensive soft case.
      Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
      We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• Kikn
        Warrior
        • Nov 2011

One thing you didn't mention is you can't buy both an upper and a lower on the same day, or you will have to pay the excise tax as well.it has to be purchased on two sprayed days.

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Kikn View Post
          One thing you didn't mention is you can't buy both an upper and a lower on the same day, or you will have to pay the excise tax as well.it has to be purchased on two sprayed days.
          Naw, you buy the lower, your wife buys the upper!

Comment

• NugginFutz
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Kikn View Post
            I'm not sure if that is a local requirement, but none of the uppers I've purchased are tracked in any way. There is no method to associate the two transactions, which makes the issue of a complete gun tax moot.
            If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

Working...
            X